Apple to Adopt IGZO Displays for Future iPads and MacBooks?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is planning to expand its adoption of IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) displays to reduce the energy consumption of its mobile devices, reports etnews.com (via Patently Apple).
    IGZO is a semiconducting material that has forty times more electron mobility than the standard amorphous silicon that is used as the active layer of an LCD screen, allowing for higher resolution displays, better reaction times, and less power consumption.

The report suggests that in addition to expanding to IGZO displays for the MacBook, Apple is also planning to use them in the iPad. Apple is said to be relying on Sharp for the displays, and last year news surfaced that Sharp had already begun mass production of IGZO displays that could be used in future Apple products.

The site expects IGZO MacBooks to appear in the first half of 2014, but does not note when an IGZO iPad might make an appearance. Apple is expected to release a new, thinner fifth generation iPad later this year.

(Thanks, MobilesPie!)

Article Link: Apple to Adopt IGZO Displays for Future iPads and MacBooks?

2. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

That would be a step towards better battery life than the competition, for sure. I think we'd all like to see better battery life out of these machines. Personally the only iDevice that has unacceptable battery life to me at this point is the iPhone.

3. macrumors member

I'm only slightly familiar with IGZO displays. Is there any loss of quality compared to the displays that apple is currently using?

It is my understanding that the quality would be the same and the IGZO difference is really the power distribution. Is this correct?

4. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

I hoped for this year in the MBP.

5. macrumors member

ridwan47

My only worry is the yellow tint..... :(

6. macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to an all-day iPad.

7. macrumors regular

litmag01

I wish I were smart enough to invent a much longer lasting and smaller battery. It would go great with technology like this!

8. macrumors 6502

ka-spot

Awesome! No MBP Retina till 2014?

9. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

iPad 5 for sure - the only way to put retina in a device as thin as the iPad Mini. IGZO iPad Mini to come...

10. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

This is all well and good, but what will the quality of the display be? I have concerns.

11. macrumors 6502a

HowEver

When computers and tablets (and phones!) last all day, people will still complain... "I want my iPad to last 2 or 3 days on a charge!" etc.

12. macrumors 68000

JarScott

Haha, I imagine that would make a lot of people angry. But certainly wouldn't be surprising. It's the best computer Apple have ever made and they admitted it themselves (not sure where the new Mac Pro fits into the quote though.) It makes sense that they'd want to wait and make sure they were releasing a perfect product.

13. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Other brands have already the efficient and superior IGZO-displays.

IGZO-retina display, Haswell CPU+IGP & Mavericks would be a “deadly” combination. ;-)

14. macrumors regular

wasnt IGZO the name of that Olympic Mascot ??

[​IMG]

15. macrumors 68030

baryon

I hope image retention is not a "feature" of such displays!

16. macrumors 6502a

BMcCoy

Hmmm...

My iPad already last 3 days or so, on one charge.

It's my iPhone (4S) that can barely get through 6 hours...

17. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

This will be incredible if they reach MacBooks. It's amazing how far battery life has come even in the past decade, when 3-4 hours was 'good'!

18. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Apple Rev. A products are never “perfect”. You should know that.

19. macrumors 6502

Why the hell aren't these going in the iPhone 5s? :confused:

20. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Your iPad doesn't last all day already? I usually charge once a week. A couple times I've even gotten the pop up "You haven't backed up to iCloud in 2 weeks" and I realized that I hadn't plugged IN my iPad in two weeks... That's pretty phenominal.

21. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

True, but why shouldn't we? We are the consumers after all.

22. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

AFAIK, Sharp has production related problems.

----------

Which generation & OS?

23. macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

This is one update that can't come quickly enough! Great tech, and it will be brilliant to see it in Apple Tech.

I hope it's adopted across all Apple devices, subject to there being sufficient supply to meet demand. The only addition I'm hoping for now is eInk keyboards.

24. macrumors newbie

No, it actually allows for an increase in quality. IGZO is generally capable of higher pixel densities (not that Apple will be increasing that anytime soon on their Retina screens, though).

25. macrumors 6502a

am hoping this is why the retina MacBook hasn't been updated yet apple is using these new bad boys