Apple to Announce 3rd Party iPhone App Development?

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 10, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Tidbits's Glenn Fleishman claims that he has heard from a number of sources that Apple is nearing an announcement "of some sort" regarding 3rd party application development on the iPhone.

Details are unknown but the announcement is expected "soon" and perhaps as early as this week.
    This news comes after a number of conflicting reports about Apple's plans for future iPhone application development. At the heart of the issue is a lack of an official developer's kit for the iPhone. Instead, Apple has advocated the use of Web-based "applications" based on Javascript. These Web-applications are very limited, however, and require the user to be internet-connected during their use.

Despite Apple's stance, an active (though unofficial) iPhone development community had sprung up and deployed a number of native applications for the iPhone. The latest 1.1.1 iPhone update, however, closed the door to these unofficial applications.

A recent a report from 9to5 suggested that Apple was planning on allowing certain 3rd party developers to launch native applications for the iPhone, but in a very restricted manner. Meanwhile, Arstechnica's sources have claimed that Apple intends to keep 3rd Party iPhone application development Web-based, but is planning on introducing significant improvements, such as off-line execution, and tighter integration to iPhone functionality. It's possible that the expected announcements could be related to these improvements.

Another possibility is that this announcement could simply be related to an expected iPhone WebApp Directory that Apple appears to be compiling on their site.

Article Link
  2. macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2006
    does everyone think this would be applicable for the ipod touch???
  3. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2007
    So all that is really known is nothing, but there may be an announcement coming soon?

I would love some 3rd party apps, even if they have to be Apple approved. I think there is a lot of cool stuff that could be brought to iPhone and if I can use them and still have no possibility of my warranty being voided, great. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced something just to distract people from the fact that Leopard still has no official release date and we are 10 days into October. Either way, I am all for some sort of iPhone related announcement from Apple.
  4. macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    I reckon it will happen eventually, with a initial limited availability of third party apps, as more of a trial, before they open the doors further and further.

As much as Steve Jobs is set in his ways, he's not blind to the complaints from many customers over this issue I'm sure, and something will eventually see the light of day.

It's a rumour and this is a rumour site, what do you expect :p
  5. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    I don't see how the iPhone can truly succeed in the long term unless Apple opens up development, at least in a limited way.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 18, 2006
    9to5 mac thinks 3rd party app. development is coming?
    that's good enough for me.
    I'll tell you why.
    because the fatty is real.:apple:

i don't know why they don't just use that as their site tagline.

"9to5 Mac: Because the fatty was real."
    (i do see reasons not to use this tagline... before someone misses the joke)

on a serious note, though. I am ALL for this, even if it means there's a cost involved. Here's some reasons.

a) i don't want to risk bricking my phone. regardless of the legality of it.
    b) i'm tired of fighting what is sometimes sub-par wifi service just to use an app or two.
    c) i'll feel a lot safer using apps if they get the apple thumbs up.
  7. macrumors member

Jul 30, 2006
    LA area
    Skeptical for now

They are also going to be releasing the G5 PB...oh, and the existence of unicorns. :rolleyes:

People say a lot of things about what Apple is doing. But only Apples knows. What I want to know is how soon can it really be expected. I mean, their most recent update has been hacked already so whats stopping SJ from standing there going "One more thing" and then venting his frustration about people ruining what he and his engineers have made. The only solution for everyone is for Apple to actually say that they are going to be releasing the availability of 3rd party apps. It stops people from hacking the iPhone and it keeps Apple happy with SJ's micro-management ways. But all that goes down the poop chute if Apple plans on charging for them.

So, second solution: Make a iPhone Application Upload program download able from Apples download section of their website (Or even what would most likely happen is a addition to the iTunes program like their games) , and then add a Tab under the iPhone Tab for Applications. Free downloads of 3rd party applications, and then being able to manage how the applications show up on your iPhone (Like what order they are shown in). Simple really.
  8. macrumors 65816

Aug 7, 2006
    When are they going to release it Australia? Who the hell cares about app development. Apple should be exhausting all resources so that I can HAVE an iPhone. :p
  9. macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    North Hollywood, CA
    I really am way in favor of apple being the one who releases 3rd party apps, though itunes would be great.

I just think that if done though apple, we will have some really good quality control. Remember that that is why mac run so much better, hardware and software, the quality control is amazing
  10. macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2007
    i really think the ipod touch is a stop-gap

i really think the ipod touch is a stop-gap, if there was a 60gig iphone, would you need anything else? :)
  11. macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    I really hope the touch gets the same treatment.
  12. macrumors member

Jul 18, 2006
    I just want Word and Flash. 2 very reputable companies. I don't think they'd want to maliciously harm the iPhone or bring down the AT&T network.
  13. macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    I say 40% chance of an open SDK with open distribution, 60% chance that distribution will be through iTunes.

I also say that they won't announce anything now; the new SDK will be for iPhone 2.0, which will be first announced in January.

Just my humble opinion.

14. macrumors regular

Aug 26, 2007
    I think that this is sort of an eventual place to go (if not only because of the constant hacking) but I'd be a little suprised to see it right away (the novelty still makes apple sell plenty)

While a sdk could be in the works, I think more likely is development with select companies who could sell or give away there products. Itunes would likely be the distribution.

Personally, i really hope apple opens up the iphone, and i'm sure they'd include the touch, from which i just wrote this post (love two finger typing on this thing, already 25-30 WPM with very little practice)
  15. macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2004

You will be able to buy these from the iTunes store, however those people upgrading from the iPhone Classic to the new iPhone 2G will have to buy the new version ...yadayadayada
  16. macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    I don't think you'll get Microsoft developing for the iPhone, or you will and it'll take them 5 years to release their first beta. More likely is you'll get a portable version of iWork, possibly packaged with the computer retail version, and that will be able to open Word, Excel and powerpoint files, edit, and send them onwards.
  17. macrumors member

May 16, 2006
    I agree. My guess is that they hold off an SDK until after they have switched the application CPU to Intel (see Ars Technica).
  18. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2005
    They gotta get something, although I am enjoying on 1.1.1 right now, it took me all day to do, something alot of people are afraid to try. I'd be more than glad to buy little games for a doller, not ringtones, and I'm happy with the freeware stuff now, so i've donated, hopefully apple will allow these people to remain creative. Make it easy to submit and get approved for free or for sale. kill simunlocks and keep everybody happy.
  19. macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Given the tattters that there current 'closed' strategy is in following the 1.1.1 jalbreak I think Apple's hand has been forced here. They can't wait until 2009 to open up these devices.

I do agree though the we may have to wait until 2009 for iphone 2.0. It's a lot further off than people think.
    We'll see an upgrade to 16GB in the spring and maybe an announcement of version 2 in a year from now.
  20. macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2003
    London, UK
    Well we'll be waiting until 2012 then. ARM will be the best choice for a mobile phone, even of the iPhone's calibre, for quite a few years.

Ignore the Intel fans. Intel is a bit-player in the mobile arena (less so now it sold off XScale to Marvell), ARM and its licensees are the juggernaut with a lot of momentum. They're not standing still either, ARM aim to have 8x the power of the iPhone's CPU soon with their Cortex A8 cores (still with sub 0.5W max power use), and Intel will struggle to attain the same deep sleep and power saving abilities that ARM has.

Anyway, I'm sure that "OS X Mobile" can use fat binaries like current Mac OS X can.
  21. macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    All good points. Esp. the last one.

I think Intel may become bigger players but they are definitely playing catch-up here.
  22. macrumors member

Aug 23, 2005
    If Apple releases it, it's not a 3rd party app. :p
  23. macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2007
    The most ultimately vague rumor ever on MacRumors?
  24. macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Their strategy is not in tatters. Most iPhoners could care less about jailbreak or SDKs.
  25. macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
    great news if it is true. I can't wait for apple to post this now. One more reason to check back every five minutes.