Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Everyone seems to think they know exactly how many iPad's Apple has stocked. I love how everyone that reads and posts in this forum have to be Apple Insiders. Because I know people are much smarter than to post things are that purely speculatory, and in no way be 100% certain...right?

Don't tell anybody...but I have really good inside sources where I get my information. The first one is this website called store.apple.com. It says the iPad 2 backordered by 1-2 weeks as of now. The other source is this place called the Apple retail store. I have visited/called several, and they say "We don't have any iPad 2s." They also tell me that as soon as they arrive they sell out.

Don't tell anyone.

kdimitt

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Don't tell anybody...but I have really good inside sources where I get my information. The first one is this website called store.apple.com. It says the iPad 2 backordered by 1-2 weeks as of now. The other source is this place called the Apple retail store. I have visited/called several, and they say "We don't have any iPad 2s." They also tell me that as soon as they arrive they sell out.

Don't tell anyone.

I was waiting for that, haha. That's great, you don't think they could say that because maybe they want stock for later. The apple stores are stocked by Apple and they are only given as many as they think they could move or want to move. Maybe Apple wants iPad's in advance for this promotion. All the same, you don't know, you aren't a part of Apple, stop pretending like you know all the inner-workings.

Sincerely,
Reality

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
WHAT. (About B2S Promotion)

You have to ACTUALLY BE GOING TO COLLEGE or whatever to get the promotion?

:(

pabrt

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
I was waiting for that, haha. That's great, you don't think they could say that because maybe they want stock for later. The apple stores are stocked by Apple and they are only given as many as they think they could move or want to move. Maybe Apple wants iPad's in advance for this promotion. All the same, you don't know, you aren't a part of Apple, stop pretending like you know all the inner-workings.

Sincerely,
Reality

why would apple hold back stock when there is clear demand for the product?

they could just sell them full price and make more money

not to mention there is obviously more stock of ipods simply because of the size differences and due to supply considerations

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

Sincerely,
Reality

If they're holding back stock, then those units are inventory, not supply. Two different things. And no, I'm not claiming knowledge of their inventory. This still does not change the fact that at this moment, the supply is short, whether it is by one, one hundred, or one thousand units.

I never said I was/wasn't involved in their inner-workings. I'm just restating a widely establish fact (from official Apple indicators) that you seem to be dismissing as mere speculation.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
WWDC is not the place to announce sales promotions. It may happen around that time, but Apple's isn't wasting the audience at WWDC for that.

kdimitt

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
If they're holding back stock, then those units are inventory, not supply. Two different things. And no, I'm not claiming knowledge of their inventory. This still does not change the fact that at this moment, the supply is short, whether it is by one, one hundred, or one thousand units.

I never said I was/wasn't involved in their inner-workings. I'm just restating a widely establish fact (from official Apple indicators) that you seem to be dismissing as mere speculation.

Duly noted on the inventory, good catch. You were claiming knowledge by implication. I was not saying that Apple's statement of low inventory was speculation but they may say they are low on inventory but does that make it true? I know that sounds somewhat stupid but if Apple wanted to restrict sales (which they may very well want to, unlikely but it's possible) and then come out and say they have plenty. That would be stupid to say the least. My objective was to make the point that while indicators may point towards a fact and even if it comes straight from the corporations PR Rep or Exec or whoever, does that make it certain? The answer is no, only Apple Exec and suppliers would know for certain.

This is the same thing as government agencies, or sketchy corporations. You should always being skeptical of what you are told.

I respect opinion as much as the next person, but some people get on these forum's and spout opinion and speculation like it's 100% fact. There needs to be a reality check once in awhile. Just so you don't think I'm incompetent, I do agree with you that they are low on stock and it would make more sense to supply them to make the money, but I felt like the point should still be made.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Duly noted on the inventory, good catch. You were claiming knowledge by implication. I was not saying that Apple's statement of low inventory was speculation but they may say they are low on inventory but does that make it true? I know that sounds somewhat stupid but if Apple wanted to restrict sales (which they may very well want to, unlikely but it's possible) and then come out and say they have plenty. That would be stupid to say the least. My objective was to make the point that while indicators may point towards a fact and even if it comes straight from the corporations PR Rep or Exec or whoever, does that make it certain? The answer is no, only Apple Exec and suppliers would know for certain.

This is the same thing as government agencies, or sketchy corporations. You should always being skeptical of what you are told.

I respect opinion as much as the next person, but some people get on these forum's and spout opinion and speculation like it's 100% fact. There needs to be a reality check once in awhile. Just so you don't think I'm incompetent, I do agree with you that they are low on stock and it would make more sense to supply them to make the money, but I felt like the point should still be made.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying (nor do I think you're incompetent) but you are confusing inventory as supply. I'm talking about supply. These are the units that a company is willing to distribute for sale. These are the ones in shipping centers, in transit, and on the metaphorical shelves ready to be sold to consumers. At this moment there is not enough supply for the consumers who are waiting at the point of sale.

The delivery time is an estimate. And it's most likely on the conservative side. Is it a reflection of every single pre-consumer iPad produced and packaged? No, just the ones they are willing to distribute for sale at the time (supply). The rest are inventory, and are held for various reasons (maintain demand, create a "buzz", emergency reserves, increased demand anticipation, ease manufacturing constraints, etc). That's different from supply.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
So let's clarify some things:

1. The Back-To-School promotion is not a given. It may not happen, although historically it has but we cannot assume it will happen.

2. I cannot see Apple announcing it at WWDC. WWDC is not the forum to launch marketing inititiatves, it's a developers conference. If Apple don't even bother doing any kind of event for the new iMac or the new MacBook Pro are they really going to make a song and dance on such a promotion.

3. The idea of them offering the iPad is just that - some bored Mac "Journailist" skimming the forums and feeding us what some want to hear - basically dropping a line saying "hey, they might even include the iPad" - now watch the fervent posters fiercly debating that pie in the sky prospect.

4. If the promotion does launch (and I hope it does) I still say it's likely to be this Tuesday. On the same token maybe not, maybe WWDC week, maybe never - who knows?

Bonilla

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
México.
Hello I am new here, but I was waiting this promo to buy a new MBP 13 and iPad 2 32GB and I can't wait and I bought it yesterday.

Does any one know if I can pause my purchased until 6 June and get the promo or I need to cancel it?
Wait until arrive and return it?

I will be glad to know what to do with your experience.

Thank u guys.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
Hello I am new here, but I was waiting this promo to buy a new MBP 13 and iPad 2 32GB and I can't wait and I bought it yesterday.

Does any one know if I can pause my purchased until 6 June and get the promo or I need to cancel it?
Wait until arrive and return it?

I will be glad to know what to do with your experience.

Thank u guys.

Watch the double posts... some peeps don't like that much.

The promo hasn't been announced (and no one really knows if or when it'll be announced)... if you need the gear, you're better off holding on to what you have instead of returning your stuff and hoping there's a promo.

On the other hand, Apple usually offers a two week grace period during which you're be able to have the promo price applied to your purchase. But again, we're back to the *if* of a promo being announced.

Good luck, man!

Bonilla

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
México.
Watch the double posts... some peeps don't like that much.

The promo hasn't been announced (and no one really knows if or when it'll be announced)... if you need the gear, you're better off holding on to what you have instead of returning your stuff and hoping there's a promo.

On the other hand, Apple usually offers a two week grace period during which you're be able to have the promo price applied to your purchase. But again, we're back to the *if* of a promo being announced.

Good luck, man!

Thank very much for the answer I appreciate it a lot

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Is the WWDC the type of event where Apple might unveil something like iWork11? I've been putting off the purchase of a new Mac until several things are released.

OS X Lion - I figured it would be better to get it with my purchase instead of something like a $129.00 expense, after the purchase of a new Mac!

iWork11 - Same thing. I'm cheap and I don't want to have to buy the old model just to turn right around and buy it again.

And to see what the new MacBook and Mac-Mini actually bring to the table. And what they don't.

I have begun to think that there might not actually be a new MacBook. But surely they wouldn't get rid of the Mini? Would they? I used to scoff at the Mini, but after reading so many positive things about it on these forums I have decided to give it some consideration. Oh well, time will tell.

Last edited:

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Is the WWDC the type of event where Apple might unveil something like iWork11? I've been putting off the purchase of a new Mac until several things are released.

OS X Lion - I figured it would be better to get it with my purchase instead of something like a $129.00 expense, after the purchase of a new Mac!

iWork11 - Same thing. I'm cheap and I don't want to have to buy the old model just to turn right around and buy it again.

And to see what the new MacBook and Mac-Mini actually bring to the table. And what they don't.

I have begun to think that there might not actually be a new MacBook. But surely they wouldn't get rid of the Mini? Would they? I used to scoff at the Mini, but after reading so many positive things about it on these forums I have decided to give it some consideration. Of well, time will tell.

Well it seems like your trying to get the most for your money. I say hold out for next years MBP since it will better. However I'm sure the one after that will be better. It seems like you might be waiting a while if your always trying to get the most and best for your dollar.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Well it seems like your trying to get the most for your money. I say hold out for next years MBP since it will better. However I'm sure the one after that will be better. It seems like you might be waiting a while if your always trying to get the most and best for your dollar.

I do appreciate your feedback. It is perfectly okay to use the most accurate term available. I'm cheap:D It's true, I am. I guess I'll have to read up on the speculations concerning next years MBP. As long as my trusty G4 keeps running, problem free, I really could wait. Thank you.

P.S. Apple Expert, I did view your public profile and I see that you have a 13" MBP. I was just wondering if you would mind if I asked you if you are happy with that? I know it has the illuminated keyboard. Are you happy with the Intel integrated graphics? I really have considered going ahead and just getting a MBP. I know (or suspect) that the new MB (if it ever happens) will probably be an i3 Sandy Bridge with the same graphics setup as the MBP. Of course, the MB also gets you Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt. That is a good bit extra for another $200.00.

Last edited:

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Hi,

I know it's just a speculation about the iPad being part of the back-to-school promotion. But if the iPad will be part of that deal, what would that mean:

a) Get discount on an iPad2, when buying a Mac/MacBook

b) Get a free/or discounted iPod, when buying an iPad2

c) Just discounted iPads2 ?

Thank you.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

Previously with Snow Leopard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the cost of the upgrade disk from 10.5 Leopard was $29. However, if you bought a new Mac up to six months prior to the release of Snow Leopard it was $10, which I believe was to cover the cost of shipping.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Previously with Snow Leopard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the cost of the upgrade disk from 10.5 Leopard was $29. However, if you bought a new Mac up to six months prior to the release of Snow Leopard it was $10, which I believe was to cover the cost of shipping.

I was basing that $129.00 price on what I can remember paying for other versions of OS X. I started using OS X somewhere around 10.0.2. That one was free and the others I had to buy. I was/am unable to upgrade my current Mac to Snow Leopard because my hardware did not meet the minimum requirements. If I am wrong about the price being somewhere north of $100.00 then I will blame that on my failing memory :D I believe that the low cost of the Snow Leopard upgrade was an unusually low one though. Since it was not considered a full-OS change or something like that. I could be wrong though. In this case, it would be nice to be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see. Thank you, for the feedback.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
If I am wrong about the price being somewhere north of $100.00 then I will blame that on my failing memory :D I believe that the low cost of the Snow Leopard upgrade was an unusually low one though. Since it was not considered a full-OS change or something like that. I could be wrong though. In this case, it would be nice to be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see. Thank you, for the feedback.

A full version of Tiger was $129. But while the $29 Snow Leopard disk was a complete install, it was only an upgrade (from Leopard). Tiger users had to buy the $169 Boxed Set.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Lion is very likely to be a full priced OS upgrade - I seem to have the price of £100-£129 as the usual price point here in the UK. Snow Leopard was an exception of only £25-£29 to owners of Leopard as it was regarded by Apple as just a "under the hood" modification of Leopard and not a "full" OS upgrade.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
It makes me wonder where they are going to go after "Lion" since the lion is supposed to be the king of the jungle? Maybe Tigon and Liger? Not that it matters of course, just curious.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
No, the $29/£29 Snow Leopard disk is a full Mac OS installation. Apple doesn't want you to know that.

http://allthingsd.com/20090826/apple-changes-leopards-spots/

Okay, when I said not a "full" OS upgrade I purposely put the word full in inverted commas. It was a full OS installation albeit an evolution of Leopard and definitely regarded by Apple as not one that justified a full price upgrade cost hence the £29/$29 cost for Leopard users to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.