Apple to Auto Adjust Maximum iPod Volume?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 24, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DailyMail.co.uk reports on a recent Apple patent application that describes how Apple could automatically adjust maximum volumes on their iPod devices to help protect the listeners from developing any long-term hearing damage.
    The maximum safe level would be determined by how loud the iPod had been playing and the amount of quiet time since last play. This is not the first time that this potential problem has been in the news.

In February 2006, a man sued Apple over the risk for iPod-related hearing loss. Apple addressed this potential issue in a software update in March 2006 which allowed users to set their own personal maximum volume limit.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Great idea. If the volume gets lowered gradually, the listener wouldn't notice, but their hearing could be saved.

P-Worm

3. macrumors member

I feel like that could get annoying. Sometimes you need to go deaf for a few seconds to hear your music.

They should just package sound isolating headphones with the iPod instead.

4. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I never have my volume up that loud, my eyesight is already buggered, I seriously want my hearing later on in life.

5. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This would be a great optional feature on all iPods, as long as the user could turn it on/off (or the user's parents with a passcode), very much like the current volume limiter.

6. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Why? Volume changes with different earbuds, and not everyone uses the Apple ones. And what if you're driving it through a set of speakers? I don't want my music being turned down when I'm playing it at a party.

I can't see this as being a good thing.

7. macrumors 6502

JMax1

bologna to the lawsuit...

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think it should be a matter of user preference and intelligence to pick a suitable volume. Of course given that this is the Daily Mail it isn't necessarily a reliable source ;).

9. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

"In February 2006, a mac sued Apple over the risk for iPod-related hearing loss. Apple addressed this potential issue in a software update in March 2006 which allowed users to set their own personal maximum volume limit."

I didn't know Macs could sue Apple. Interesting.

10. macrumors 65816

Macs can sue? Is iSue included this the new iLife '08? :confused:

Edit: Damn... TheSpaz beat me to it...

11. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Curious source for a rumour! I'm surprised The Daily Mail isn't trying to pin the blame for hearing loss on asylum seekers, teenage pregnancies and general declining moral standards. :D

SL

12. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I think this is ridiculous. It's up to us to choose how long we want to listen. What happens if we have the headphone jack connected to a car stereo?

Nice slip up!

EDIT: About 2 people beat me to it.

13. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I beat you to it! Haha! *rubs it in your face*

14. macrumors regular

The maximum volume level is a lot like the maximum speed your car can go. If you want to drive at 120mph, you take full responsibility, not the manufacturer. ;)

15. macrumors newbie

I think that if they were to do this, there'd probably be a (allbeit difficult) way to disable such a setting. I feel this is like putting a band-aid on broken bone. It doesn't really fix the problem, it just seems to me that the problem lies in people trying to drown everything out with music. All in all, I feel this part of the loudness wars is exactly what will cause extreme hearing loss by the time this generation is 35. Loss into the range of 1K-6K, which is just ridiculous...

16. macrumors 65816

lazyrighteye

A "mac" or a "man?" :p

Regardless, this is a thoughtful feature I would like to see left as a user-controlled option.
    While ear fatigue is definitely a legit issue, it might not be so good to have the volume eventually decrease if (say) you're playing an iPod/iPhone through a home system.

My $ says if this feature does see the light of day, it will most certainly be a user-controlled option.
    Toggle On. Toggle Off.

17. macrumors 65816

lazyrighteye

What if this generation is already 35?!? :eek:

:D

18. macrumors 601

Prof.

This isn't a rumor. Why is there a question mark on the front page? Apple comfirmed it yesterday on the evening news.

Prof.:apple:

19. macrumors 603

Stella

Hopefully this feature won't be mandatory. Highly annoying otherwise.

If I want to f??? up my hearing - that is my choice, not Apple.

20. macrumors 65816

japanime

The Mac was simply responding to Apple's challenge: "Sosumi."

:D

21. macrumors 65816

luminosity

I think it is important. An entire generation (or two, or three) is being raised on devices that just happen to be causing long-term hearing loss. It's as much out of ignorance as anything else. The ultra-fine hairs in the ear aren't something that grow back or recover like other body parts do.

22. macrumors regular

Well, they probably tried to, but had a rare moment of sensibility and came to their senses. I personally am calling Satan, i think he might want to know that hell has frozen over.

Anyway, Apple controlling things for the sake of the user experience is entirely what they've been doing for the last 20 years. No point complaining that this is a bad move for Apple, they seem to have coped well recently :)

23. macrumors 68020

Ya, if it wasn't able to be turned off this would REALLY PISS ME OFF. Why can't people take responsibility for their own decisions DAMN it. If you want to go deaf, GO DEAF! Why do idiots have to sue someone? :mad:

24. macrumors 68020

They're my own g-damn ears... I'll choose when they go deaf and when they don't.

But seriously, "a mac sued Apple"?

25. macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

is the mac that sued Apple, Too $hort? Lol...

(hopefully someone gets my pop culture reference)