Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to begin offering in-store display replacements and other repairs for both iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, reports 9to5Mac, continuing Apple's effort to lower repair costs.
These sources say that Apple Stores will be able to replace several aspects of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on-site, meaning that Apple no-longer needs to fully replace iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c units with damage or other problems.
The display replacements will cost $149 for each device for users not subscribed to AppleCare+, and $79 for users subscribed to the warranty service. In addition, Apple will also have the ability to replace volume buttons, sleep/wake buttons, vibrating motors, the rear camera and speakers systems on both phones.

iphone5s5c.png
Apple Stores will also be able to replace the home button on the iPhone 5c, but will likely not be able to replace the Touch ID sensor on the iPhone 5s, likely due to constrained supply.

Part replacements due to defects will be free if the device is under AppleCare warranty. However, devices not under an AppleCare warranty plan there will have repair fees specific to each part, such as a $29 surcharge for a Home button replacement on the iPhone 5c.

In June, Apple began offering in-store display replacements for the iPhone 5 for $149 for both AppleCare+ and non-AppleCare+ subscribers.

Article Link: Apple to Begin Offering In-Store iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Display Replacements

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Apple Stores will also be able to replace the home button on the iPhone 5c, but will likely not be able to replace the Touch ID sensor on the iPhone 5s, likely due to constrained supply.

Will they ever be able to replace the Touch ID sensor being that it is evidently paired with the A7 SOC?

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Damn, one-to-one replacement has always been a plus point for iPhones for me.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Will the deductible count against phone replacement? Otherwise, $80 deductible means that's a real ripoff...

Jburnette87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Mobile,AL
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but if I have ac+ and crack my screen:

1) does this count towards my two repairs?

2) since I have ac+ and still have to pay $79 for the screen replacement, that brings the total to $179 as opposed to $150,correct?

3) if I do crack my screen can I get a replacement device to get rid of the dents etc from a drop under ac+? Instead of just a new screen?

Thanks.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Part replacements due to defects will be free if the device is under AppleCare warranty. However, devices not under an AppleCare warranty plan there will have repair fees specific to each part, such as a $29 surcharge for a Home button replacement on the iPhone 5c.

Good luck with that! If there's a defect, they have to repair or replace it free of charge under consumer law in Australia, for at least two years for an iPhone.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

To me Apple is losing its greatest edge over competitors - easy, no question asked replacement if anything goes wrong for your phone. I once had an iPhone 5 with a stuck power button, and I got a replacement phone in a few minutes, with a brand new casing and battery as a bonus. This is one of the biggest factors for me to stay with Apple for most of my electronics purchases. Tim Cook seems to concern more with the money part, as shown in one greatest example: his hiring of John Brewett, who solely aimed at cutting costs for Apple Stores and of course it failed. I truly miss the Steve Jobs era.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
$150 for a display replacement? :eek: LOL!

Go to any mall, look for the iPhone repair cart and fork over $50. No lines. Takes 2 minutes.

Jburnette87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Mobile,AL
$150 for a display replacement? :eek: LOL!

Go to any mall, look for the iPhone repair cart and fork over $50. No lines. Takes 2 minutes.

Not for most iphone 5/5S. Most people aren't capable of replacing the glass only. They can only replace the entire display. Most iphone 5 screen assemblies cost $80-100 plus installation. 5s screens cost around 250 at the moment. Again plus installation.

Also, all repair places use aftermarket,inferior, parts. And void your warranty.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

I know it doesn't immediately sound as good, but really if there is a specific thing wrong with your phone why not just have them fix that one issue? I have had issues with replacement devices, and sometimes the problems can be subtle. It can be annoying to get a device with a new issue when the old one was fine except for one thing.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Co-worker just got an iPhone 5S (gold) today. Dead pixels. No way he'll want them to fix it. New phone please.

Jburnette87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Mobile,AL
Can Apple even do that? I thought the glass was fused/glued to the screen?

It can be done. It's time consuming and not worth it to Apple to train people how to do that when they can just pop the old display off and a new one on. It's hard but most definitely not impossible. Same thing with galaxy 2/3/4 screens. Those are much easier though.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Am I missing something?

Didn't it use to cost $49 to replace a phone with AppleCare+? Now it costs $79 just to replace a screen? How is that a better deal?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
i read it more like.. if you have applecare, you get a discount from the 149.. or, $80 isn't being viewed as a deductible
?

May not be a deductible if AppleCare+ covers two repairs for $79 each. What happens after the second accident? Does this mean AppleCare+ isn't worth it unless you break your screen twice.This is kind of confusing...

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Wow. We don't even know how this will work, if it's even going to happen. This was reported on another site from a "source." It could be Tim Cook or it could be some customer that saw a UPS guy delivering a box and a Genius said don't drop that, you'll break all the displays!.

I kind of like that Apple is getting in this business. My friend's iPad's screen shattered a while back. She took it to one of those mall stores and paid I quite a bit to get it repaired. For just a little more she could've had Apple repair or replace it. She chose the cheaper route and now the screen pops up on one of the corners.

If Apple gets in this business it may be just a bit higher but it'll help customers to buy quality authentic replacement parts.

BreakingApple

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
To me Apple is losing its greatest edge over competitors - easy, no question asked replacement if anything goes wrong for your phone. I once had an iPhone 5 with a stuck power button, and I got a replacement phone in a few minutes, with a brand new casing and battery as a bonus. This is one of the biggest factors for me to stay with Apple for most of my electronic purchases. Tim Cook seems to concern more with the money part, as shown in one greatest example: his hiring of John Brewett, who solely aimed at cutting costs for Apple Stores and of course it failed. I truly miss the Steve Jobs era.

That's hardly a "Steve Jobs" era issue. They did individual part repairs during Steve's tenure. They replaced displays on 3G and 3GS.

I feel like people are so entitled these days. One part of your phone doesn't work so you want a whole new one? I suppose you walk into a dealership with a flat tire and ask for a whole new car too eh? :rolleyes:

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
You only need Apple Care once the phone is over 12 months old. Their should be no cost if the items are faulty in the first 12 months. So how explaining these things correctly MacRumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.