Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

220305-mac_pro_power_of_12.jpg

Several readers have informed us and we have confirmed that Apple Store representatives are telling potential buyers of the company's new Mac Pro announced earlier this week that the updated models are set to become available for ordering on August 9th. Company sales representatives on both chat and telephone support systems have cited that date for the launch.

While Apple will begin taking orders on August 9th, it is not yet confirmed that machines will actually begin shipping on that date. Representatives have claimed, however, that the August 9th date will be for actual orders and not for a pre-order program, suggesting that orders should begin shipping fairly soon after that date.

Apple's press release from earlier this week and the Mac Pro pages on its website simply state "August" as the availability date for the new Mac Pros, so it has been unclear at what point in the month customers could expect to begin placing their orders.

Article Link: Apple to Begin Taking Orders for New Mac Pro on August 9th

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
This is great, but Apple really needs a new tagline for the Mac Pros.

"The fastest Mac ever." ...Well I sure hope so!

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I love how they say (every time) that it is "the fastest Mac ever" as if they would release a top of the line mac that is slower than previous gen. :rolleyes:

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
It's not the number of cores, it's what you do with them. I can't wait to get one of these babies. 12-cores plus Microsoft releasing 64-bit MS-word for Mac EVENTUALLY = 3-page essay writing bliss.

EDIT: while running iTunes

dockingbay94

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
That's a descision your bank balance will make I suspect.

Yes, but I've been saving for this since January so I can really get either. The only problem now is that Apogee released the Symphony I/O which I am really looking forward to getting in conjunction with the new Mac Pro.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is good, but it would be better if Apple actually had apps that take advantage of the extra cores and threads, namely Final Cut Pro.

momille

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
SO is the mac pro running on mac osx in 64 bit ? or do you need to manually set the 64 bit kernel ??
i want to know if it makes any sense to buy more than 4 gb of ram for my music production!=?

someone is using an actuall mac pro with music production software like cubase 5 and can share experience on performance??

regards M.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
It's not the number of cores, it's what you do with them. I can't wait to get one of these babies. 12-cores plus Microsoft releasing 64-bit MS-word for Mac EVENTUALLY = 3-page essay writing bliss.

This has got to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI

There are plenty of good reasons to have 12 processor cores, but running Microsoft Word (btw, get Pages) and iTunes at the same time is not one of them.

Sent from Firefox while listening to iTunes.

EDIT -
"The new Mac Pro. It's so fast, red looks blue."

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Should I do it?

Apple recycle program offered me $1660 Apple gift-card for my 08 3.2GHz 8-Core Mac Pro and I willing to take that too and put it towards the 2010 Mac Pro been saving up for a New mac every sense I purchase my Mac Pro back in Feb of 08 and today have enough to buy a New Mac Pro and a 27" inch LED but the question is should I do it? or should I just upgrade my 08 with ATi 5870 (if the 5870 fits and works in my 08 MP) and add more ram and wait until next year to buy a new Mac Pro what do you guys think? need your honest opinion.

My 2008 Mac Pro spec's

3.2GHz Dual Quad Core (8-Core)
Two 500GB HD
Air Port Extreme
512MB Nvidia Geforce 8800GT
4GB of Ram
Two SuperDrives

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
This is prob the first Mac ever I didn't think I could afford since Jobs took over.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is good, but it would be better if Apple actually had apps that take advantage of the extra cores and threads, namely Final Cut Pro.

Logic Pro, Mathematica, Final Cut Pro, Reason 4 or the newer version, Cubase, I'm sure many UNIX or other types of server farm or other server type apps will thrive. Wait till universities build clusters out of 12 core XServes. :eek::p < that is my drool happy face.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
for some reason, I feel like you may not need a 12 core Mac Pro to write a 3 page paper while running iTunes.... :rolleyes:

sarcasm |ˈsärˌkazəm|
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt : his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment. See note at wit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.