Apple to bring back updated iMac G4 form factor!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jessearl, May 19, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you like the old iMac G4, you can still buy them. It's just that they have G4's in them....
  3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Yes, but they usually label dreams like that: fantasy, nightmare, drug induced psychosis, ravings of a lunatic, etc. depending on how they relate to reality and your version of reality.
  4. macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    I admit it's because I have one but I prefer the G4 design. I like they were such a brilliant design and very unique. I think the G5s looks like a pizza box on a tilt.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    Im with you, i still think the imac g5 is fugly, and want to get a original imac and g4, hell a little collection, but as of now im damn poor and have to work on getting one new machine to work
  6. macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2004

... I've always thought that the G4 imacs were the ugliest computers ever. The screen on a stalk never looked right, it always looked temporary to me. The new iMacs are quite a bit better IMHO, I'd never get a G4 styled one...

7. macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    Off I40/I85, near the Cracker Barrel
    Just ignore the heathens my precious...

*pets his iMac G4*

8. macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    That's its face! It has a face and a body and a neck. It's a character in itself. I call my computer 'Brian'.
  9. macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Actually I liked the curvature of the G4. I remember someplace I read that Macs had a facelike design so that they would be inviting to the user. The G5 is too boxy for me; it seems like a hack job on the mounting. Then again I don't really like the Mac Mini either. Seems to be styled like the iMac G5.

I think the G4 design with G5/Mac Mini/eMac (!) plastic would really appeal to me. I also think they would have reused the G4 design if they could find a good way to cool the G5 without making it ridiculously noisy.
    Yea, that would be awesome. A G5 iLamp :-D
  10. macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I frankly like the design of both -- but I can see why they changed it for the G5. It's cheaper to build (didn't the arm alone cost Apple upwards of $100 per unit?) and the savings are passed on to the consumer in the form of lower prices. Further, they are almost as easy to repair as Power Macs are, with the removable back; if your hard drive goes bad, just plop an iMac G5 on a cloth and turn a couple screws and you can pop in a SATA drive from CompUSA (or AppleCare) where the old one was. With an iMac G4, it's either repairs that aren't really user-servicable, longer waits at the repair shop (I suppose) than with an easier-to-open computer, or mail-in.
  11. macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2005
    Land of Cleve
    Oh I love the look of the G5. I won't poke fun at the G4 because I think they are also cute, but I like the look of my baby just fine! The iMac G5 is very simple and most of the time the most simple solution is the best. :)
  12. macrumors member

May 4, 2005
    Voorhees, NJ
    Apple to bring back updated iMac G4 form factor!

After G has the right idea. Apple should bring back the G4 iMac design updated with the G5 hardware. It can be done. The G4 form factor made it easier to adjust the monitor to individual tastes. The G5's adjustments are limited. I hope Apple is listening. I'm usually for forging ahead in progress, but I think Apple took a step backward here.
  13. macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like the iMac G4 design a little more than the G5,but I love how the G5 is so easy to upgrade.
    If you want G4 functionality on the new iMac's you could always buy the iNeck
  14. macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    I think the iMac G5 design is a lot cheaper and simplier to build. You will probably never see them go back to that complex of a product at the price points they have on them now. There is a reason that the iMacs prices went down even though their performance went up. It costs a lot less to build the current iMac, and when it comes to getting switchers that more important then just a fancy chrome arm. I thought the old G4 design was real cool, but I like my G5. I don't think you will ever see the old design back. My guess is Apple is making more profit on the G5 even though they charge less. I bet it is a lot cheaper to build.
  15. macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    We can dream

I wish they would too. I was just looking on eBay thinking how nice a 17'' G4 iMac would look in my living room, just sitting there with the screen saver on.

Well back to dreamin
  16. macrumors member

Mar 27, 2005
    Personally I like both designs. When I first saw the iMac G4, I was pretty wow'd by it and simply had to have something "mac". When I found out how much it cost, I relegated to getting myself an iPod instead :D But then, a few months later, it just wasn't enough. So I got myself an eMac which served me very well for almost a year. And an iBook 1.2 G4 six months later. I just got myself an iMac 1.8 SuperDrive, to replace my eMac, and totally love it!

Either ways, I love both designs. It is just a matter of price. If both form factors were offered at the same specs and pricing, I would choose the one that looks like a table lamp :D but then again, the new one goes well with my iPod. :rolleyes:
  17. macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    You're right about the face, body, neck thing.
  18. macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    I prefer the iLamp too :D though the current iMac isn't that bad either. Just too much white surrounding the display. I' much prefer a thin bezel.

The iMac should've been what the mac mini is, a non integrated/non all-in-one computer, but with more expansion slots. A mini G5 tower of sorts. I know, I know, I'm dreaming.
  19. macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    Hehehehe. I like that. I'd never seen that ad before. For me, they just screamed "Face and body!" so their marketing worked on me.

The one thing that is deceptive about the G4s is how heavy the base is! I've yet to know one person who's tried to pick one up without going "Ergh, that's heavier than I thought!"
  20. macrumors member

Aug 11, 2004
    The base is actually made heavier on purpose, to give balance and to keep the display from tilting the whole computer over. The 20 incher was even heavier, not just because of the bigger screen, but because of the brick of lead they tossed in the base for ballast. If somebody wants to hunt for the specs, compare the 15 or 17 inch to the 20 inch. And Apple getting rid of that expensive (but ultra cool) swing arm on the iMac was really about costs. They put that industry standard mounting bracket thing on the back of the new iMac, so their logic is we'll get rid of this spendy arm and make the computer cheaper for everybody to buy, but if you really want the functionality, you'll spend the extra dough for a third-party solution. Same with their new cinema displays, they use the same type of bracket on the back, so you can mount them all on your wall or those cool custom stands companies are making now. Here's the adapter bracket from the Apple Store:
  21. macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005
  22. macrumors G4

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Sure, the iMac G4 was a great design. I should know - I have one. I think the iMac G5 design is equally great, but for different reasons. Even the iMac G3 had some appeal to me (although the iMac G4 and iMac G5 are clearly superior designs). I think this means I'll like any iMac design from Apple.
  23. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2004
    I personally love my iMac G4, and think it's a great design. I agree that the G5s are fugly.
    My huge problem with the G4 is that it is incredibly difficult to move around (i.e. network night) and if my fan goes, I'll be up to my eyeballs in thermal jelly and torx screwdrivers.
    The iMac G5 is just so much more utilitarian; the G4 is baroque.
  24. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    That is what I've always said to the G4-design-philes, although the opinions of which I entirely understand. But on top of the improved build costs, I'd wager that the packaging, warehousing and shipping of the G5s must be saving them a groat or two as well. If I wanted to I could fold myself up in the box that my 17" G4 came in and live inside it, albeit uncomfortably, for a good couple of hours. Whereas I can only get one of my legs in the packaging box of my 20" G5.

Try know you want to find out if I'm right! ;)
  25. Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I think if I buy one more piece of Macintosh Hardware as decoration, the significant other is going to flip. :eek: