Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I find it hilarious how many people think they know the cost vs. benefit of Apple's acquisitions more than Tim Cook and Co. They don't just buy up companies for no reason, and they don't waste money, but, like all things, they keep it close to the chest.

Well obviously they know what they're doing. I'm not implying otherwise. I was just hoping geniuses such as yourself would have some more insight on this than morons like me.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Seems like a high price for what doesn't look like a particularly unique technology. Am I missing something?
The IP alone probably makes the price reasonable. Not to mention the money Apple will receive from Samsung, should they honour the agreement. ;)

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Please note that I am a professional software engineer...

It's amazing to me that hardware companies, such as AuthenTec, who produce actual tangible products are purchased for significantly less than some silly, single shot app (like silly photo apps, and wow there was a pun in there) development companies. There is so much more needed in the engineering of hardware, and the accompanying software than there is in a stupid 'social app'. Hardware companies have to deal with real world engineering, real-world supply chain management etc. Where silly little software companies can just offload all the distribution off to the cloud. An app company can make a silly picture taking app that distorts your photos and they are all of a sudden worth a billion dollars; crazy.

/rant.

All of those things you described cost a lot of money, and if anything goes wrong, the whole operation struggles or fails. But an app is a relatively simple operation that has the potential to reach many many more people, and can potentially make money hand over fist with relatively little effort. That's why a popular app is worth so much.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I'd love to see finger print security on Apple products.

I was just thinking how they could implement it. Not sure about iPhone/iPad or that but for MacBooks they could put the sensor where the power button was. Isn't the power on button now just a key on the keyboard? It would be as simple as pressing the power key and then placing your finger on the top corner of the case and you've logged in!

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I like it. I'm a little security conscious and don't use the simple passcode unlock, so the idea of not having to always input it is very appealing to this user.

Jayse

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Yes please!!!

This sort of tech is definitely the future of a greater mobile payment authentication system, and could even replace 'swipe to unlock'.

Exciting times ahead!!!

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
They do a lot more than fingerprint sofware/hardware.

http://www.authentec.com/News/ViewN...rely-deliver-mobile-video-to-Android-and.aspx

Reuters just speculated that's what Apple wants is their fingerprint technology. For all we know it could be their content protection technology they use for IPTV and they want to use this in the new Apple TV.

I wouldn't say for sure this means they're investigating using fingerprint scanners. It could be some little piece of technology that Apple wants more and the happen to get fingerprint technology with it.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Applications

1. Simple Authentication
2. Electronic Signature
3. Heart Rate Sensor (maybe)
4. Temperature Sensor (maybe)

Options 3 and 4 possible if they use a multipurpose scanner.

Swain

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
Maybe they bought it to screw Samsung over?
Just speculating, but it might have played a factor for all we know.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Other than the appearance of the scanner, what can you seriously do to improve on a fingerprint scanner based authentication system? :rolleyes:

Same thing as Apple has always done. Taken new and/or existing technology and making it useable and affordable, and incorporating it into everyday use by the masses. This has usually been a winning business model for Apple.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Seems like a high price for what doesn't look like a particularly unique technology. Am I missing something?

In addition to the tech, they are able to block/control what access to the technology that Samsung will want.

paulbiscardi

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008

Yes, this is not your typical fingerprint sensor. They have some incredible IP and as a result, I'm sure the implementation will be unlike what we're used to.

Prother

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Yes please!!!

This sort of tech is definitely the future of a greater mobile payment authentication system, and could even replace 'swipe to unlock'.

Exciting times ahead!!!
But swipe to unlock isn't for security, it's to ensure the phone doesn't unlock in your pocket with accidental button pushes. The passcode is what this would really replace. A "swipe to unlock" with this feature would probably do the trick, and if the fingerprint is not recognized then it would bring up the passcode menu. Ideal if you let friends use your phone and can tell them the passcode, but you won't have to type it in yourself every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.