Apple to completely get rid of cover flow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iParis, Dec 20, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

iParis

It seems like a possibility that no cover flow in iTunes 11 is the first sign of phasing it out completely. When was the last time you used it on your iPhone? I used to be really anal about having all the artwork, but when you're like me with a massive music library then it just gets a bit tiresome. It's already never been added to the iPad music app and I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it from the iPhone and iPod touch music app as well as OS X (still on Lion, not sure if it's still in Mountain Lion). Though I don't know if too many would notice (in a positive way) if they got rid of it due to it not really taking up any power or resources.

EDIT: iOS, Mountain Lion, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, etc - I wasn't too sure where to put this thread, haha.

2. macrumors 601

Haven't used it in years, it's a bit gimmicky rather than a useful feature.

3. macrumors member

I use it all the time, would be annoyed if they did get rid of it.

4. macrumors 6502

Benefits of cover flow:
    1. Looks flashy
    2. Er...?

5. macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Never used it so I don't really care :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I hate cover flow, the only reason I use the rotation lock on my iPhone is just so I don't have to see it.

7. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hated it, from the start. Sure it looked great when Jobs demo'd it but actual usage - well it wasn't that great imo.

8. macrumors member

Suppose it's only me then!

9. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

I love my cover flow.. I've also spent hours upon hours organizing my album artwork... I own an iPod classic, and I'd be pretty sad to see cover flow eliminated from iTunes forever...

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

That likes it? I've known a lot of people that use it. I think I've used it more more in OS X than my iPhone or iTunes for actual use. Ha. I almost forgot it was in iTunes, which is the reason for this. Haha. XD

11. macrumors 601

cambookpro

Absolutely loved it when I got my 1st gen iPod touch, along with pinching to zoom! :p

Now I sparingly use it, however it is quite fun to rediscover music you haven't listened to in a while.

12. macrumors 6502

I never used so I dont really care what they do with it.

13. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I was kind of sad to see it go in iTunes 11, but I don't really miss it there. However I think it should be kept on iDevices unless they figure out a better method when you turn your phone in landscape mode. I happen to really enjoy it on my iPhone. I don't use it all the time but I'm glad it's implemented for now.

14. macrumors 6502a

Wasn't it introduced back in 2007 with the first iOS/iPhone? I'd say back then it was a gimmick to impress people who'd go "oh wow I turn my device and then something happens". But really, it's probably just a remnant from that time. Today, it's nothing that excites people too much. And as it has been said, I think it's pretty useless and there are faster ways to get to your music.

15. macrumors 6502a

the coverflow for music when its rotated is beyond stupid. i dont think i have ever used it and is the only reason I use auto-lock. I would love for it to go the way of the do-do bird

16. macrumors 603

I found it useful sometimes when I needed to quickly browse a folder of images on a computer. But as far as music or any other iTunes-related stuff is concerned, I hate it.

I really hate how I had to download another app to have a useful landscape presentation of my music in my car. Why this isn't built in baffles me. I mean the controls available in portrait mode are perfectly fine, but flip it and you get fewer buttons and craziness.

As far as using the rotation lock, that's nice if you don't use that switch for mute about 100 times more often. If someone knows of an easy work-around -- such as a triple-tap of home to use rotation lock -- I would be his or her best friend.

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Aaaand I just remembered it's also in Safari.

It came into iTunes 7 September of '06 and the original iPhone was announced January '07, so it's at least obvious the two were meant to correlate.

18. macrumors 68030

I'd love to be able to kill it today. It's slower and less efficient than the list view.

19. macrumors member

As long as they keep some way to display cover art. I hate not having cover or album art.

20. macrumors 6502

We can hope.

21. macrumors 65816

Risco

Useless on the computer, but very practical on the iPhone / iPod due to the touch interface,

22. macrumors 603

blueroom

I thought it looked neat but I never used it.

23. macrumors 6502

LOL, that's where I absolutely hate it! It ticks me off immensely to see the useless Coverflow appear when I tilt my iPod Touch. At least on the PC I could always avoid it, and it would never appear by accident.

24. macrumors 6502

I can see not wanting it on an iPad or iPhone, but I love it on my iMac (27 inch) and will not upgrade if it means loosing Cover Flow. They should at least make it an option!

25. macrumors 65816

I always hated cover flow myself. I say good riddance. :D