Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Im just surprised the ipod touch 5 is still supported, expected the iphone 4 and that to be dropped.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Im just surprised the ipod touch 5 is still supported, expected the iphone 4 and that to be dropped.

Are you seriously surprised they didn't drop their newest iPod?

Isn't the 5th gen the most current? That would make no sense to drop it.

Inhalant

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014
Calgary
It's bound to happen. I got my iPhone 4 three years ago this Father's Day, which marks the end of my current contract here in Canada, where the telecom companies rip you off big time... Urgently waiting for the iPhone 6...

TL;DR Its bound to happen, iP4 users get an iP6 end of story, next year it will be 4s getting the boot

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Why? It runs fine.

....not on my other half's iPhone 4 it doesn't! Apps take an age to open and close and the whole interface is really quite slow - to the point of when I try and use it, it just really gets on my nerves and is really quite frustrating!!:mad:

I thought that they would also leave out the iPhone 5 and and iPad 2 (I have both), but luckily they didn't...!! :)

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
....not on my other half's iPhone 4 it doesn't! Apps take an age to open and close and the whole interface is really quite slow - to the point of when I try and use it, it just really gets on my nerves and is really quite frustrating!!:mad:

Do you have 7.1? And a bit of patience?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Apple sure love to cling to the iPad 2 of theirs.

They were selling them as new in mass to consumers and education institutions a mere few months ago.

To drop it now would be to toss their customers under a bus. Apple loves their customers.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I don't care. They should support it with a light iOS version.

Or else what?

----------

I use an iPhone 4 with iOS 7 every single day, and it works perfectly fine.

Sure, it lags in places, and the pin entry screen looks messed up, but apart from that it's perfectly usable.

So it's not perfectly fine.

----------

That's great and all, but as a consumer I find it really ticks me off. I also fail to see how having next to flawless backwards compatibility in their new OSs would hold them back. It doesn't hold Microsoft back. It helped make them the industry standard in the personal computer world.

It amazes me still to this day that upgrading Apple's OSs often creates more problems than it is worth. And yet with Microsoft there is rarely an issue if your hardware is up to spec.

Anyway... I digress. :)

In this case, all iPhone 4 hardware are not up to spec. No airdrop chip, single core, etc.

----------

From what I've seen, the average user only upgrades when their old one breaks. For example, do you really think it is people installing Windows XP on new PCs that keeps its marketshare so high? Or is it because people who bought PCs in the XP era haven't found the need to replace them yet?

I for one certainly do not shell out cash every four years just to continue doing what I could do fine on my older device. Of course there are exceptions and there will always be them who (for some reason) have to have the latest and greatest. But for the vast majority, I'd say they upgrade when they have to.

The vast majority probably updates every two years. This isn't a desktop computer.

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
I have an ipad 1 as well and in all fairness, the ipad came into market not knowing what to expect. The fact that it shipped with 256mb of ram was definitely a mistake, but I think for the most part apple didn't predict how big of a hit it would eventually be.

512MB of RAM :cool:

The iPhone 4 and iPad both got A4s with 512MB of RAM. The iPod touch 4G got an A4 with 256MB of RAM.

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
If Apple continued to support their older OSs, there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, they don't. The day iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite are released, iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks are unsupported and will slowly lose functionality and compatible apps.

False. Apple is still supporting OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and above. If you count Yosemite, that's five major OS versions still being supported. And by support, I mean AppleCare tech support and software updates (granted updates for the older OS versions is generally limited to major bug fixes and security updates).

Meaning your expensive Apple device is actually dropped a lot sooner than the competitor's equivalent.

In my real world experience, that is also false.
Apple products continue to have the best re-sell value of any computer/electronics on the market. I had a Droid 2 phone a few years back and they stopped updating the software for that one within a year. Had I chosen not to upgrade from my iPhone 4S to my current iPhone 5S, I would still be receiving software updates for it more than two years after it was released (it is still supported).

Also, I tried to resell that Droid 2 phone about a year after I bought it and was lucky to get maybe $50 for it. I sold my iPhone 4S a year after I bought it and got about $300. Numbers don't lie.

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
They were selling them as new in mass to consumers and education institutions a mere few months ago.

To drop it now would be to toss their customers under a bus. Apple loves their customers.

The iPad 2 also has a dual core processor which is the minimum for the upcoming iOS 8 release from what I've read. It's also running essentially the same hardware specs as the first generation iPad Mini, so to discontinue support for one without discontinuing support for the other would tick off A LOT of people.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
From what I've seen, the average user only upgrades when their old one breaks. For example, do you really think it is people installing Windows XP on new PCs that keeps its marketshare so high? Or is it because people who bought PCs in the XP era haven't found the need to replace them yet?

I for one certainly do not shell out cash every four years just to continue doing what I could do fine on my older device. Of course there are exceptions and there will always be them who (for some reason) have to have the latest and greatest. But for the vast majority, I'd say they upgrade when they have to.

I agree with you. Though Apple's new OS X seem to be more like service packs at times, I get annoyed. At least Apple makes efforts to speed up older OS X devices ( Mavericks was suppose to), but it is irksome. For example, I am very happy with Mavericks and don't plan on upgrading to Yosemite soon just because my system is running smooth, apps are stable, and the system is relatively bug free, plus I'm concerned if the new UI would slow my system down like iOS 7 did.

However, aside from about one year of security updates Mavericks will fade into oblivion. I doubt that even useful features that could be ported (like iCloud Drive) won't be. I agree with you that at least Microsoft maintains admirable support for it's OS versions.

----------

False. Apple is still supporting OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and above. If you count Yosemite, that's five major OS versions still being supported. And by support, I mean AppleCare tech support and software updates (granted updates for the older OS versions is generally limited to major bug fixes and security updates).

I think SL has been dropped. I'm pretty sure they don't receive security updates anymore, but I may be wrong.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard
Support Status: Unsupported. :rolleyes:
And as for AppleCare, it costs quite a bit for what you actually get.

In my real world experience, that is also false.
Apple products continue to have the best re-sell value of any computer/electronics on the market. I had a Droid 2 phone a few years back and they stopped updating the software for that one within a year. Had I chosen not to upgrade from my iPhone 4S to my current iPhone 5S, I would still be receiving software updates for it more than two years after it was released (it is still supported).

Also, I tried to resell that Droid 2 phone about a year after I bought it and was lucky to get maybe $50 for it. I sold my iPhone 4S a year after I bought it and got about $300. Numbers don't lie.
As I said, there are exceptions. Don't assume your personal experience to be the experience the world at large has. And I wasn't even on about reselling. Resell value has pretty much nothing to do with my point.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
512MB of RAM :cool:

The iPhone 4 and iPad both got A4s with 512MB of RAM. The iPod touch 4G got an A4 with 256MB of RAM.

The iphone 4 got an A4 with 512MB of ram, the ipad 1 got an A4 with 256MB of ram. You can look it up if you want, why do you think the iphone 4 made it all the way to iOS 7 whereas the ipad 1 lost support at iOS 5?

Last edited:

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
The iphone 4 got an A4 with 512MB of ram, the ipad 1 got an A4 with 256MB of ram. You can look it up if you want, why do you think the iphone 4 made it all the way to iOS 7 whereas the ipad 1 lost support at iOS 5?

WHAT, oh my bad haha. That makes no sense though, getting less ram in a tablet an a phone on the same chip :confused:

Well, this is awkward:eek:

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
I use an iphone 4....dont they care about their customers who still use these? I'm going to be using this phone until i have an upgrade in April...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I use an iphone 4....dont they care about their customers who still use these? I'm going to be using this phone until i have an upgrade in April...

They care. They've supported it for what will be 4 years and 3 months.

That's WAAAAY more than any of the old hat phone manufactures have ever done.

They can't support it forever.

appleweek

macrumors member
May 20, 2002
I know it wasn't gonna last forever, but i'm sorry to see no iOS 8 for iPhone 4. I have an iPhone 4 and i've ran every version of iOS up-to current (7.1.1). The performance did degrade with 7.0, but 7.1 made it very usable again. Its by no means a speed demon like it used to be when side by side with a 5S, but its a more than capable phone. I wish Apple would give it an iOS 7.5 with a few features from 8. I can't deny it had a good run tho, from Sept 2010 until June 2014. The iPhone 4 was the phone that really changed everything, even the 5S has major design cues from this model.

I'm eagerly awaiting the iPhone 6 in a few months time as well and I hope not to be disappointed.

BTW I don't think many of you guys understand that not everyone's income and spending ability is the same or standardised. The guy who replaces his iPhone every 1-2 years obviously can afford it. But the guy who has to replace his iPhone every 4-5 years, doesn't do it by choice many times... Many times its prioritising your hard earned $$$. If you can afford US$650 per year for a new iPhone, Great. But for those of us who can't, don't make it seem like thats the status-quo. We expect a phone to last a good few years.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

I got a brand new i7 PC at work 6 months ago. Guess what OS was put on it when my company's IT department did the software build on it. It is still running XP now!

And yes the majority of those still on XP are corporate users. Many of them still using IE6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.