Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I got a brand new i7 PC at work 6 months ago. Guess what OS was put on it when my company's IT department did the software build on it. It is still running XP now!

And yes the majority of those still on XP are corporate users. Many of them still using IE6!

You're right. Plenty of corporate places still use XP too. Forgot to mention them in my post.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
They were selling them as new in mass to consumers and education institutions a mere few months ago.

To drop it now would be to toss their customers under a bus. Apple loves their customers.

But apple has been known to do that before. When ios 7 came out apple discontinued support for the iPod touch 4th gen which had been on sale up until like 6 months or less before ios 7 came out. I know a lot of people complained about how they just bought an iPod and it wasn't getting ios 7. IMO the iPad 2 doesn't even run ios 7 all that well and would think ios 8 wouldn't be all that much better. But it's what ever I got rid of my iPad 2 a while back and am very happy with my iPad Air.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
My 4S still works just fine despite have minor lags here and there on iOS 7.
Oh, and it's also wonderful that devices with A5 chip will have the longest OS support from Apple.

For those of you feared that iOS 8 will be the last update for iPhone 4S, I'd say no. This phone will enjoy the last breath with iOS 9 next year. Remember, iPod Touch 5 and iPad Mini 1st gen, then there is also iPad 3rd gen which shared the same A5 processor just came out in 2012. You think Apple would just kill it already?

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
They care. They've supported it for what will be 4 years and 3 months.

That's WAAAAY more than any of the old hat phone manufactures have ever done.

They can't support it forever.

For which I am grateful. After that showing yesterday, I'm getting the amazon phone next, though. No question.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
I got a brand new i7 PC at work 6 months ago. Guess what OS was put on it when my company's IT department did the software build on it. It is still running XP now!

And yes the majority of those still on XP are corporate users. Many of them still using IE6!

Yep. My workplace buys brand new ultrabook laptops with Windows 8.1 preinstalled, wipes them and puts on XP. Such a waste of money for the unused Windows licenses. Also they refuse to update IE past IE7, and don't allow other browsers. So silly.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why? It runs fine.

Compared to a Sinclair ZX81, yeah.

----------

I use an iphone 4....dont they care about their customers who still use these? I'm going to be using this phone until i have an upgrade in April...

You'll still be able to use it! Just be thankful that Apple won't be slowing it down even more than they did with iOS7 ;-)

----------

I'm honestly surprised the 4S is going to be supported. Frankly I think anybody who upgraded theirs past iOS 6 is a fool. New iOS versions always make old hardware slow down. One upgrade is all you should do. I know from experience just how bad an idea it is to go beyond that.

Same here. Once bitten, twice shy.
I must admit to being surprised and rather impressed when I upgaded my Android tablet from Jelly Bean to KitKat. The o/s was snappier and the battery life better. Why do Apple updates achieve the exact opposite?

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I must admit to being surprised and rather impressed when I upgaded my Android tablet from Jelly Bean to KitKat. The o/s was snappier and the battery life better. Why do Apple updates achieve the exact opposite?

That's probably because KitKat and Jelly Bean are almost exactly the same, with the exception of some minor performance enhancements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.