Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ichat_logo-250x249.png
Apple has announced in a recent support note (via ZDNet) that it will end AIM iChat login support for users running versions of OS X below 10.7.2 Lion on June 30, 2014.

The change will affect those who use their mac.com and me.com addresses as AIM IDs to log into iChat on older systems, as users running compatible versions of OS X Snow Leopard and OS X Lion can upgrade to OS X Mavericks for free.

Meanwhile, users running OS X Leopard are directed to purchase and upgrade to Snow Leopard and then install OS X Mavericks for free. If a user cannot upgrade to a newer version of OS X, then the creation of a new AIM ID on AOL's website will be required along with the need to repopulate a new contacts list.

iChat was discontinued in favor of Messages, which has been the default instant messaging application on the Mac since its first appearance in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. According to the latest data from Net Applications, Apple's newest operating system, OS X Mavericks, holds a 51% share on all Macs, while the share of systems running older versions of OS X affected by this latest change is 19%.

Article Link: Apple to End Support for AIM iChat Logins on Older Versions of OS X Starting June 30

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I wish they would bring back support for screen sharing via Messages (like they had in iChat), and the ability to screen share specific files such a Keynotes.

I also wish FaceTime was integrated into Messages. It's really annoying having to launch a separate app if I want to FaceTime Audio someone or something.

Saying that, I'm glad they've kept the "soap bubble" chat boxes in Messages. I still can't stand the iOS 7 flat-style message bubbles, and unfortunately I think they'll introduce them in the OS X version with 10.10...

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I wish they would bring back support for screen sharing via Messages (like they had in iChat), and the ability to screen share specific files such a Keynotes.

I also wish FaceTime was integrated into Messages. It's really annoying having to launch a separate app if I want to FaceTime Audio someone or something.

Saying that, I'm glad they've kept the "soap bubble" chat boxes in Messages. I still can't stand the iOS 7 flat-style message bubbles, and unfortunately I think they'll introduce them in the OS X version with 10.10...

You can still screen share via Jabber, GoogleTalk and AIM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH15056?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I just want 3+ way video calling in FaceTime. That was an awesome feature in iChat and I can't believe FaceTime has gone all this time without that feature!

metfuel

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2002
I am more worried about what this means for those logins in the future. I really wish that apple would let me change my ID, but I can't because it is tied to an AIM/iChat account.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Trying to convert everyone to imessages?

If they dropped AIM, they should allow people using iMessages to text people using Android phones... This annoys me the most on OS X Mavericks.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
And 32bit Core Duo/Solo.

Yeah well if you have an 8 year old Mac, I don't think owners can moan about Apple cutting online services to them. Especially after the OpenSSL fiasco (which Apple "wasn't" affected by), being on the latest OS with the latest security updates is essential.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
If folks are on Snow Leopard it's probably because they care about features of the OS that have been lost like Rosetta, and Spaces. If those two features where in 10.9 almost all of the snow leopard users would be upgraded that I know of. (Server users lost even more tools and features I'm versions after snow leopard too)

heck I just bought another copy of snow leopard server a couple weeks ago directly from Apple to put in a VM for this very reason.

Last edited:

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
"The change will affect those who use their mac.com and me.com addresses as AIM IDs to log into iChat on older systems"

This doesn't mean AIM won't work on iChat anymore, it just means what it says.

I don't think this will affect many PowerPC users at all. Who uses Mac.com and me.com addresses for AIM login anyway?? Probably a very small percentage of AIM users. As long as you've still got a valid AIM screen name, I see no reason why it would stop working.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
What is so hard about keeping it running exactly? Is there some sort of license deal that has expired? Or is this feature removal for the sake of just removing features so you're more encouraged to buy a new Mac?

----------

Time to update you OS you old-timers, don't be lazy ;)

Yes. Because keeping a five year old OS on your Mac is very lazy. God forbid what you think of XP users. :rolleyes:

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Trying to convert everyone to imessages?

If they dropped AIM, they should allow people using iMessages to text people using Android phones... This annoys me the most on OS X Mavericks.

I really believe they should create an iMessages app for other mobile platforms. Having Messages on OS X makes text messaging vastly easier -it's annoying to have to tap out lengthy messages to those who need to receive them by SMS.

TxTom

Apr 2, 2014
Texas
Well, except for the fact that my PowerMac G5 just keeps working, I'd run right out and plunk down another $2500. Wait...I don't even use iChat. Don't care.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
They are never happy these days.

Honestly can you blame them? Apple made many people's £1000+ machines obsolete quickly, especially if you didn't upgrade OS at £150 a year. Meanwhile in the cheaper Windows world, XP has only just lost support and still has a few years left in it of having some new Apps written for it.

I'm kinda bummed my iMac G4 is more of a paperweight than my XP craptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.