Apple to Expand Social Network Integration in iOS 7 with Support for Flickr and Vimeo

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has been making efforts to offer deep social network integration in its mobile operating system, first offering Twitter integration in iOS 5 and then Facebook integration in iOS 6. According to 9to5Mac, Apple will expand its social network integration even further with iOS 7, including support for both photo sharing site Flickr and video sharing site Vimeo.

As with Facebook and Twitter integration, Vimeo and Flickr integration will allow users to be able to sign in to the social networks in the Settings menu. Those one-time sign-in credentials will be usable across iOS, providing comprehensive sharing options and easy integration with other downloaded apps.
    Flickr is a logical addition to iOS given Apple's existing relationship with Yahoo, and popular video hosting site Vimeo is also a logical choice for iOS 7 as Apple continues to move away from Google products. Apple stopped offering YouTube as a stock iOS app with iOS 6 and also introduced its own mapping app, discontinuing its use of Google Maps.

While Apple continues to allow direct video uploads to YouTube from its camera app, Vimeo integration will give iOS 7 users an additional option for video uploads. As with Yahoo, Apple has an existing relationship with Vimeo, having offered integration with the service in OS X Mountain Lion.

As noted by 9to5Mac's unnamed source, though Flickr and Vimeo integration is currently in the works, as with all beta software, there is a risk that it could be removed before the public release of iOS 7.

Apple's upcoming operating system is expected to feature a "flatter" design to modernize the look of iOS 7 while removing many of the skeuomorphic design elements that were introduced with iOS 6. Apple is expected to debut iOS 7 at its upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June with a release to follow in the fall, and MacRumors has noted a surge in traffic from devices running iOS 7 suggesting that a preview is imminent.

Article Link: Apple to Expand Social Network Integration in iOS 7 with Support for Flickr and Vimeo

2. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

with that 1 TB account, I might use flickr regularly in iOS 7.

3. macrumors newbie

woo hoo! finally vimeo support; much better than youtube.

4. macrumors G4

daneoni

Awesome. Prefer Vimeo for video quality anyway and the revamped Flickr with 1TB of storage means i'm likely going to revive my account...even moreso with iOS integration.

5. macrumors 604

bushido

awesome about flickr but what about Tumblr. its part of yahoo now ;)

6. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Very cool.

7. macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Apple dropping support for Google Maps and YouTube was the best thing to happen to those two apps. They're wayyyy better now.

What else can they drop support for?

8. macrumors regular

Passbook.

9. macrumors 6502

bchery21

Cool, I'm down with this.

10. macrumors 65816

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Vimeo has better video quality, so that's cool. I would really like to see more video content on it, though. That's really the main thing, everything is always on YouTube.

11. macrumors 68030

needfx

all the artsy stuff is on vimeo, whereas youtube accommodates everything else

12. macrumors 6502

Wow, I actually wrote Apple feedback a while ago (after iOS 6) asking for Vimeo support. I said exactly the same; that it was a logical choice and fits well with Apple's demographic and positioning as a premium and classy platform. I feel like someone there listened! :) I really love Vimeo...so much better than YouTube.

I wonder if Apple will build their own Vimeo app to go on the home screen to fill the position left vacant by the departed YouTube app. The official Vimeo one isn't that great...

13. macrumors 68030

needfx

you got me on the TB front

14. macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Hey I use that... newstand on the other hand...

15. macrumors regular

Why doesn't Apple just create a services API that allows any service to create a deeper integration with iDevices. This way Apple's not responsible for integrating such services, the services are.

16. macrumors regular

machpost

Wow, maybe we'll FINALLY be able to log into our Flickr accounts on Apple TV.

17. macrumors 68040

Money.

18. macrumors 6502

Finally!

My iPhone will do even more pointless and useless junk that I will never, ever use...

19. macrumors 68000

Vimeo is to Youtube as Thunderbolt is to USB 3.0 or Firewire is to USB 2.0...sure it may be better in some ways but nobody uses it

20. macrumors 6502a

GerritV

Bleh, even more "social networking" - not impressed, at all :-(

21. macrumors 6502

I don't see a problem with that. :) If you want to watch cat videos or home movies of people being stupid you can still access the website or download the YouTube app.

Or you could check out some amazing free content on Vimeo and feel enriched.

Yeah it's not a complete replacement as there's much more content on YouTube, but the service and quality of videos is much better on Vimeo. If Apple adds a way to easily publish iMovies to Vimeo I think the amount of content their will grow enormously.

----------

The one I'm not impressed about is FaceBook, can't stand it. I don't see a problem with Vimeo.

22. Guest

More social networking CRAP? If that's all Ive can come up with in terms of innovation, I will be really worried indeed...

23. macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Flickr is as "social" as you want it to be. I use it a way to upload my photos at full image quality and then reference in other places... or use it as an easy-to-find/share online photography portfolio. I do very little socializing within the community.

24. macrumors 6502

Yeah. And those of us who don't use the services don't need to see them on our devices.

----------

How so?

25. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Hmm...I'm pretty sure Craig Federighi is responsible for this. He owns iOS. And this isn't really a UI/UX type thing.