Apple to fix Macbook whine within 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phatz, Aug 2, 2006.

1. phatz macrumors member

(UK user here btw)

I just phoned Applecare after yesterday my fairly ignorable perpetual high pitch Macbook whine was eclipsed by a much louder hiss/whine coming from the F1 key area, which goes away when the CPU is in use.

The guy I spoke to said that the problem was known, and he said that Apple knew about this problem with all Intel laptops. He seemed to say that it was NOT a hardware problem, and would be fixed 'soon' by a new software update - and if it turned out to be a hardware problem Apple would take back all the Intel laptops and fix them.

I asked him when the software update/hardware fix would happen, and he said within 2 weeks.
    It does sound hard to believe that Apple would just take back all the units they've sold, fix them and return them.
    Also I wonder if this new software fix in the works is a real fix or just one of this temporary workarounds that people have already discovered. In other words, will it be a fix that does not reduce battery life by forcing the CPU not to go idle?

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I would find it surprising to take back all intel laptops. Mine is perfect, and I am sure others are too. The only way that would happen (with the MBPs) is that they need to get rid of the current stock for core 2 duo, but then they have the problem of all the broken one's.

I expect an apple software workaround to not decrease battery, but it is hard to tell.

3. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

I hope SOMETHING happens at least...

I'll be phoning applecare soon about the combination whine/hiss/moo. Three animals in one laptop, gee whiz, it's a zoo in here.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

It's strange how so many people get so many different responses. Some Applecare techs say Apple doesn't know about the moo/whine and therefore won't fix it..or will make you jump through 8039236 loops to try and "find" the problem. others say "sure, yeah, we know about it - we're fixing it now. hold tight."

You'd think they'd all be the same, wouldn't you? Shouldn't they have like a database of known issues and fixes to read off of?