Apple to fix Macbook whine within 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phatz, Aug 2, 2006.

1. phatz macrumors member

Apr 19, 2006
    (UK user here btw)

I just phoned Applecare after yesterday my fairly ignorable perpetual high pitch Macbook whine was eclipsed by a much louder hiss/whine coming from the F1 key area, which goes away when the CPU is in use.

The guy I spoke to said that the problem was known, and he said that Apple knew about this problem with all Intel laptops. He seemed to say that it was NOT a hardware problem, and would be fixed 'soon' by a new software update - and if it turned out to be a hardware problem Apple would take back all the Intel laptops and fix them.

I asked him when the software update/hardware fix would happen, and he said within 2 weeks.
    It does sound hard to believe that Apple would just take back all the units they've sold, fix them and return them.
    Also I wonder if this new software fix in the works is a real fix or just one of this temporary workarounds that people have already discovered. In other words, will it be a fix that does not reduce battery life by forcing the CPU not to go idle?
  2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    I would find it surprising to take back all intel laptops. Mine is perfect, and I am sure others are too. The only way that would happen (with the MBPs) is that they need to get rid of the current stock for core 2 duo, but then they have the problem of all the broken one's.

I expect an apple software workaround to not decrease battery, but it is hard to tell.
  3. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

May 20, 2006
    I hope SOMETHING happens at least...

I'll be phoning applecare soon about the combination whine/hiss/moo. Three animals in one laptop, gee whiz, it's a zoo in here.
  4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    It's strange how so many people get so many different responses. Some Applecare techs say Apple doesn't know about the moo/whine and therefore won't fix it..or will make you jump through 8039236 loops to try and "find" the problem. others say "sure, yeah, we know about it - we're fixing it now. hold tight."

You'd think they'd all be the same, wouldn't you? Shouldn't they have like a database of known issues and fixes to read off of?