Apple to give me new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by e-coli, Oct 19, 2002.

1. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

So, here's the situation:

I have a Rev A. DP 500, and it crashes and eats hard drives like crazy. It's been into the shop for applecare service for two straight months. It's had the hard drive replaced (3 times), and the power supply replaced. The techs insist that everything checks out okay (processors, logic board, etc). But it still crashes like mad. Even with only a clean install of jaguar on it, no apps. Now nobody can figure out what the problem is.

So, my question is, at what point does Apple just give you a new computer? And would they give me a dual processor since I currently own a dual?

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Apple to give me new computer

Sounds to me that some sort of Lemon Law should cover this. If what you are saying I would think they owe you a new computer already.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Sounds like you have a falty Heatsink same thing happened to me. I found out my heatsink was barley working at all, and the tech's told me it was fine.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Apple to give me new computer

usually apple puts the machine in the shop 3 times before offering a replacement. if they haven't yet, you should call customer service and ask them to and see what they say. I assume you got a case number from apple when you first took it in since these are warranty repairs.

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

is it still under warranty? if not and you've replaced the power supply, then you've prolly spend enough $$ on repair parts to deserve a new comp he he :D

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

My dad has similar problems... He has a TiBook... he has had it sent in for repairs 4 or 5 times, they have changed the DVD-ROM twice, the casing once, the motherboard once, and the PSU once... but they arent giving him a new computer

7. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

in cases like that you should call customer service. apple's general policy is three times in the shop. B epersistent, but polite and you'll probably get a new computer.

8. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

yes, unfortunately it's not the heatsink. the computer never lasts long enough to get hot. usually it lasts about 5 minutes before it panics. sometimes 10 - 15 minutes, but usually only 5 minutes...

it seems to me that it's hardly enough time to falter.

anyway, thanks all. but do you think they'll give me a dual since that's what my computer is now?

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yes, it's exactly the kind of thing that would indicate a faulty heatsink.

AMD chips running much faster than the Moto chips will fry in a matter of seconds if the heatsink/fan (HSF) is defective.

If your computer is overheating it will crash and lockup very randomly. Here's a question, though: does it run OK when booted from the CD (ie. when installing the OS)? If so, it's not the HSF...

10. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

yeah. it's fine during install. never crashes.

but as soon as i reboot, and dink around for a few, kaploowey.

i'm stumped.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Very strange.

If it installs OK, it means it's not the CPU/logic board and the HD is fine too.

The only other thing I'm curious about is external devices...firewire, USB, SCSI...?

12. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

nothing extra is connected when it fails. like i said, i get it back from the shop, turn it on, install jaguar, and reboot. that's when the problems start. never even enough time to hook externals up.

Rev A. 500 DP
    Apple Pro Keyboard
    Apple Pro Mouse
    Apple CRT Studio Display (DVI)
    Ethernet plugged into network (powerbook is plugged into same network, never crashed once).
    Same Jaguar CD used on my TiBook install (so the CD is good)

13. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

okay, so i'll tell you how i can replicate the problem 75% of the time.

open IE to MSNBC home page.

shift+option+4 to capture screen

open picture in preview (with IE still open)

try to export as JPEG (well, anything, really)

das bomb

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's...pretty random...

What are the crash symptoms...spontaneous reboot, freeze, kernel panic?

Also, you said it's "eating drives"...care to clarify?

15. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

it's always a kernel panic. (at least it's prettier in Jaguar) ;)

i've had, now 4 hard drives in it. the first two clicked to death (a random thing that started while editing a spot in final cut pro)

then, i took it in, had the drive replaced (i just junked the other), and as soon as it started panics again, i took it back into the shop. they said the panics were due to my hard drive failing. (it was only 1 day old)

so, i just got it back today, and the same deal. same exact scenario, so i'm assuming it's my drive failing again. when i first turned it on today, i got the flashing question mark disk. i thought they simply hadn't installed a system...turns out they had. the drive died either as soon as they shut it down, or as soon as i turned it on. but it's now the 4th HD.

oh...i forgot to mention, they've replaced the front power button set and panel (it died, too)

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Do you have any noise filters on your power line?

17. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

noise filter??? (not sure what that is)

it's plugged into a power strip. but it's one of 3 strips it's been plugged into, and one APS. i've had drive failures / panics on all the combos.

the first drive failed while i had the computer at my office (APS)

second drive died in my old studio (power strip 1)

now i moved it to my apartment, and it's eaten two drives (power strips 2 and 3)

18. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

okay everybody. i'm going to call today to beg and plead for a new computer.

any ideas on how to best handle this?

19. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Don't beg.....DEMAND!!! a new computer!!!
    Call and ask to speak to a supervisor;) don't let them bullshiitte you around!:D

20. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

21. Choppaface macrumors 65816

might it be something in the case that's touching something else that it's not supposed to? like electicity getting in places it shouldn't?

22. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

$F,REE

Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4
    256K L2 cache
    & 1MB L3 cache/processor
    167MHz System Bus
    512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    80GB Ultra ATA drive
    SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
    56K internal modem

It's on its way. not a bad deal at all. :D
    Thanks to all for your help / suggestions!

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, congrats, that's a nice free upgrade. Damn, I'm jealous........but good for you!

:D

D

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That seems fair to me. The Dual500 you have now was probably the middle line when you bought it and they are replacing it with the new middle line. That's the way it should be.