Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So why don't they just say something like "we are committed to the Mac Pro and OSX for at least the next xx years, but it will evolve to allow our commercial customers to evolve with us" or "we will move away from the high-end markets towards the consumer as that is clearly where the big bucks are." Then we can all get on with our work.

Because no company is going to invest in a "dead computer line walking." It also is not going to make a long term commitment b/c sales could drop off; it needs flexibility. 9 to 5 Mac has a YouTube video posted of a guy editing a 4K video on a MacBook Air w/ TB and Red Rocket card, so the MP's death could be a lot closer than even Apple realizes. Many suspect Apple will, in fact, release one more MP and done.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How come no word on what happened today? Not a single leaker?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How come no word on what happened today? Not a single leaker?

It's on 9to5:

Among the many topics discussed by Tim Cook at today’s Town Hall session with employees, the Apple CEO revealed some new Apple employee benefits. Giving a little more back to the people who worked so hard to make Apple one of the wealthiest corporations in the world, Cook announced that Apple employees will soon be given $500 discounts on purchases of new Macs and $250 discounts on purchases of a new iPad.

The new discount program will officially kickoff at some point during the month of June. A major caveat is that Apple employees may only utilize this opportunity every three years, and employees must have been working for Apple for at least 90 days. The Mac discount side of the program excludes the Mac mini, which is already close to that $500 of credit. Apple employees currently have a 25% discount on Macs, so in many cases the $500 is a big deal.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Apple will announce that they'll abandon the Pro line of computers, including MacBooks and OSX.
Their consumer end of the product line has been so successful that they are no longer interested in their formerly loyal professional customers.
There is more revenue in the i-Hype, so why bother about the rest of us.
Have you seen any news about their maybe fixing the Lion problems for good?

The notion that Apple is going to kill OS X is laughable. In late 2010 Cook stated that Apple generated $22 billion in Mac sales, with those sales alone ranking #110 on the Fortune 500.

Mac performance has significantly increased since then. It is ridiculous to think that Apple will just decide to not make that money anymore.

As for the pro segment, I agree that an update to the Mac Pro is becoming a disappointing wait. That said, I don't see them just dropping the pro market.
Remember as well that technology changes. Realistically, it is less and less necessary to have a big looming tower to complete many of the tasks that pros need to accomplish. With Thunderbolt, I can see more of a modular concept for future pro level machines, where users can buy one base machine and add on the components they need, rather than buying an all inclusive tower that may include components that add cost that aren't needed for everyone.

As for the statement about Lion...have you used it? There are some features that could be added to be sure, but it is hardly broken.

hgm

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
no more Pro's, no more Lion

The notion that Apple is going to kill OS X is laughable. In late 2010 Cook stated that Apple generated $22 billion in Mac sales, with those sales alone ranking #110 on the Fortune 500.

Very well, but why are they keeping us waiting for four months now to a fix the problems that bug OSX Lion? Why are we forced to stare at the glare of glossy displays? I'd be looking forward to buying the successor to the MacBook Pro, if it wasn't for the fact that I cannot rely on them to offered it with a "no-gloss" option anymore.

As for the pro segment, I agree that an update to the Mac Pro is becoming a disappointing wait. That said, I don't see them just dropping the pro market.

Not only the MacPro. Also the MacBook Pro. So where's the beef? Just silence, and more i-Hype.

Remember as well that technology changes. Realistically, it is less and less necessary to have a big looming tower to complete many of the tasks that pros need to accomplish. With Thunderbolt, I can see more of a modular concept for future pro level machines, where users can buy one base machine and add on the components they need, rather than buying an all inclusive tower that may include components that add cost that aren't needed for everyone.

As for the statement about Lion...have you used it? There are some features that could be added to be sure, but it is hardly broken.

My old tower Mac has led a quiet dust-collecting life under may desk for about six years or so. It is kept there as a back-up, in case of emergency.
Of course I have been using Lion from day one on. The last update to 10.7.2 hasn't fixed the problems (semi-freeze upon starting mail, for example). They haven't responded to the stupid consumer-type insulting appearance of iCal and Address Book. Among many other things. Do check the forums…
Or just Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osx_lion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.