Apple to Host iPhone Upgrade Event at Retail Stores

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 5, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is planning to hold an iPhone upgrade event at its stores this week in an effort to boost sales, a source told 9to5Mac. Starting this week, Apple will be emailing owners of older iPhone models who are upgrade eligible about the new event, and will apparently separate from Apple's current iPhone trade-in program.
    Apple will be launching other new marketing and sales initiatives to help increase iPhone sales as well. There's no word on what types of marketing and initiatives Apple could use, but they will be tied to Apple's retail stores.

New Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts, who officially joined the company on May 1 and began her first full week today, will oversee the program.

Apple once again noted that iPhone sales hit another record for Q2 2014, making up 57 percent of Apple's sales for the quarter for all products. CEO Tim Cook also noted in the conference call that Apple has started selling iPhone 4's in the "very, very low single digit percentage" and last year said he wanted to sell more iPhones in stores.

Article Link: Apple to Host iPhone Upgrade Event at Retail Stores

2. macrumors newbie

vojta3476

Because sales of the 5s haven't been good enough already?

3. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Just release iPhone 6 and you will boost sales!

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

In light of what Samsung is doing, Apple needs this.

6. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

While I'd love to take advantage of this, I'm already on the 5s and I'm saving my DD11's upgrade for me to use when the 6 comes out.

7. macrumors regular

Awesome, I'm glad she's bringing some of the practices of higher end retail stores to Apple. Events are a great way to make numbers happen. It can be the difference between beating LY, or plan, or whatever numbers you are going against, or not.

8. macrumors 6502

9. macrumors 6502

I agree. I'm looking forward to what she will do for Apple retail. And as a shareholder I would agree with the strategy of increasing sales through Apple stores. It can only help the margins. Plus, the best way to retain customers is to make sure you're the ones servicing them when they have issues.

10. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

I wonder what new incentives Apple will offer to those that receive an email....

11. macrumors regular

I guess Apple doesn't want current iPhone model sales to fall off a cliff as people are becoming more aware of iPhone 6. They may already be seeing that people are holding off and playing the waiting game for iPhone 6.

For those that can't wait, it will be a great opportunity to get a good deal on the current models.

-ITG

12. macrumors 6502

Wow... why?

Everyone that wants an iPhone 5S in the USA already must have bought one.

If I were her, I would make more of these promotions in countries where they sell more unlocked phones.

13. macrumors 601

Traverse

14. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

What is an upgrade event? Do the eligible people get a discount or special promotion?

15. macrumors regular

This is kinda cool. I eligible for an upgrade in September tho.

16. macrumors newbie

17. macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It sounds like they don't want to have a 5s as a low-cost option after the 6 is released.

18. macrumors 601

Traverse

I wondered that. The article doesn't outline what exactly Apple will do for such an event. I can't see them doing much more than an ordinary trade in, maybe with just a different name to make people feel better...:rolleyes:

19. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

20. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If all they are doing is notifying people who should already know they are eligible for an upgrade and nothing else, it really doesn't sound like an "event". Special deals or discounts, upgrade and get a $50 iTunes gift etc would make it an event, IMO.

21. macrumors G5

Rogifan

22. macrumors 601

Traverse

I agree. I forgot about iTunes cards, I could defiantly see that. Its a win-win for them.

23. macrumors regular

What level of foolish do you have to be to buy into a soon to be obsolete device that will further be crippled by a forced iOS8 upgrade and virtually bricked in 2015 when iOS9 is forced upon it?

24. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Even a free case or some other accessory wouldn't be bad, but the iTunes gift cards are good for Apple and the consumer.

25. macrumors 6502a

BornAgainApple

I'm eligible, but no way in he77 I'm upgrading until the 6 comes out. And I know quite a few others who are in the same boat.