Apple to Integrate 'QuickTime Pro' Features in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard seeds suggest that Apple may be eliminating the 'QuickTime Pro' upgrade that is currently offered as a $29.99 upgrade to Mac users.

Apple has long reserved several additional features for QuickTime Pro that are not available in the standard QuickTime Player. Some of these features include editing (cut, copy, paste), exporting to different codecs, and saving web QuickTime movies to hard drive. In a standard Mac OS X installation, these features are dimmed out in the QuickTime Player application:

[​IMG]
    QuickTime Player in 10.5

In the latest Snow Leopard builds, however, all features are reported to be fully enabled. In addition, the "Buy QuickTime Pro" and "Registration" links have been completely eliminated as menu options and the registration control panel also removed from the System Preferences.

These changes suggest that Apple may finally be incorporating all the Pro features into the standard QuickTime installation. Apple has announced that it would be revamping QuickTime in Snow Leopard with the introduction of QuickTime X. Apple will be incorporating technology from the iPhone into QuickTime X to optimize support for modern audio and video formats.

Article Link: Apple to Integrate 'QuickTime Pro' Features in Snow Leopard?

2. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

About time!

There are hundreds of free apps that do this anyway. Unless it's at a pro level like Final Cut, there shouldn't be a need to charge for video software.

3. macrumors 6502a

That would be fantastic. I think we pay enough to buy the computers as it is. An additional $30 could buy a case or other accessory.

4. macrumors 68020

Beric

Sounds good. I've never paid for QT Pro anyway, just used free apps that did the same thing.

5. macrumors 601

DMann

Things are looking better all the time!

6. macrumors regular

It would be about time!

Quicktime has been part of the Mac OS even before Mac OS X, and as such, I have always found Apple's charging for the so-called "Pro" features contradictory and rather reprehensible.

7. macrumors newbie

about time!

That would be soo kind from apple....
    I've been buying quicktime pro since 2001 and I always felt it like a kind of silly "tax", given all other much more complex features you get for free...

8. macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

The are probably just removing it for the development builds?:confused::confused:

9. macrumors 68040

motulist

I sure hope so. The fact that Macs can't do this stuff right out of the box is embarrassing.

10. macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

iMovie will do a lot of it...

11. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

This is long overdue.

12. macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Great news.

13. macrumors 6502

emulator

you, and others if any, should not have, and apple have stopped this stupidity in 2002. in reality, they did not even care as they have never blacklisted the Core serial.

14. macrumors 68040

motulist

But imovie isn't a media player. The fact that Macs don't have a built in media player able to do the most basic of tasks like full screen playback is just embarrassing for OS X.

15. macrumors newbie

Actually the free version of Quicktime has been able to do fullscreen playback for a while now, I can't remember if it was with 7 or 6.something that it was introduced but its been available for a while.
    Though I do agree that most of the "pro" features should have been available for free for a while as well...

16. macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for Quicktime to solve some essential problems with encoding. There are still some quality issues in some formats, and Quicktime integrates color space information in 264 files that can make your life hell sometimes.

17. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

While anything's possible, Apple's previous development builds have always led directly into gold master builds. They don't make feature changes right before they ship to the public.

arn

18. macrumors 65816

gusious

Finally....:rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502

A great move, and well and truly due.

Now if they can just improve the terrible h.264 encoding...

20. macrumors member

Wow.. that's great.. very unexpected from Apple.. i guess it's a way to get people to upgrade to Snow Leopard maybe.. that or their being nice.

That said it's always been extremely easy to just find a serial online. [Not that i'd every do such a thing.]

21. macrumors 6502a

Truffy

To be honest, the only QT Pro that I have came 'free' with FCS. Admittedly, that came in at a little more than $30, but hey-ho. :D

22. macrumors 68000

TheReef

I bought Quicktime Pro a few years back, glad I (hopefully) won't have to be buying it again for Quicktime X as users upgrading from 6 to 7 did.

23. macrumors 6502

stephenli

Finally. Its great anyway.
    (I really want to upgrade, but I am using a Quad G5:(:(:()

24. macrumors 603

netdog

It would seem to be worth a lot more to Apple to establish H.264 as the de facto standard, knocking .wmv out of the way. I expect that we will see this unleashed by Apple on the Windows world as well.

25. macrumors member

ZrSiO4-Zircon

Ah, I remember using BTV Pro as a QTPro substitute :p
    Then I found other free, more up-to-date software that did so much more.
    But offering QTPro as standard would be a nice alternative to little apps that won't necessarily get supported through the years.