Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
It would seem to be worth a lot more to Apple to establish H.264 as the de facto standard, knocking .wmv out of the way. I expect that we will see this unleashed by Apple on the Windows world as well.

This can only happen when 264 QT files will play properly on all systems and even if your computer is not the fastest. Also, colors should not look different on different computers, or with your FCP color simulation on or off. Until then, WMV remains the only reliable widespread video distribution standard.

Bakafish

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
It has always been about licensing

I believe the reason they broke out that charge was so they could account for joint licensing agreements. There was other people's IP in there and they wanted to be payed for content creation (try converting a raw file to MP3 for example, IIRC you can't in QT as they didn't want to deal with the licensing fees.) By charging for QT Pro they could separate out any associated revenue as opposed to having to pay out for every copy of OS X they shipped. I imagine that they have renegotiated or will drop some of the older codecs and technologies that are no longer relevant. It is good that it is on by default, but it would have made OS X more costly to have done so in the past, and you may be paying for it now as well.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I guess they're trying to justify the price tag for 10.6 by adding some tangible benefits.

Can you imagine the average punter paying $80 or whatever for an OS that looks pretty much the same as its predecessor apart from apparently being more efficient 'under the hood'?

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Wow.. that's great.. very unexpected from Apple.. i guess it's a way to get people to upgrade to Snow Leopard maybe.. that or their being nice.

That said it's always been extremely easy to just find a serial online. [Not that i'd every do such a thing.]

I must admit that I had to. I originally purchased Quicktime Pro, and then suddenly it locked up and went back to the original Quicktime. The digital download key was no longer available (after two months?) and Apple support did nothing. No way I was going to pay twice for the app that should be free.

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
As a developer all the Quicktime pro functionality is just accessible. The pro fee only opens up this capabilities to quicktime-player, which is kind of a weird construction. The testimonial is from all the freeware and shareware apps that simply use quicktime to copy, paste and export movie files.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
About time! Sometimes I just want to glue or cut apart quick video files, I'd rather not jump into iMovie just for that.

MacSamurai

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
Sounds great! Just hope they don't increase the snow leopard price up 30 bucks :) j/k they would never do that to us...

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
We have Pro on our iMac. I mainly use it for keeping an always accessible HD trailer that I'll watch more than once. I'm glad it'll be the new standard, it's overdue.

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
About time! With all the pro features enabled for free and the new support for "modern" codecs, Quicktime will be the best player out there! :D

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Sweet, Quicktime will finally will be back on par with Movie Player from OS 7!
I mean seriously, the fact they made features we've had for over a decade "Pro" in the first-place was just plain ridiculous! And yet, Movie Player's export options are still superior to Quicktime Pro 7.6's!?

Quicktime is one of the most badly mishandled of Apple's software offerings, I just hope this new "Quicktime X" has better playback etc. as well, as I've been really disappointed in Quicktime for a long while now; mainly because it ain't so quick.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Excellent move by Apple which will go far in spreading the virtues of Quicktime as opposed to Windows Media Player files...

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I believe the reason they broke out that charge was so they could account for joint licensing agreements. There was other people's IP in there and they wanted to be payed for content creation (try converting a raw file to MP3 for example, ... I imagine that they have renegotiated or will drop some of the older codecs and technologies that are no longer relevant.

You are exactly right. Apple does have to pay to license certain technologies such as Sorenson, etc... that aren't open. They may simply be dropping them, as MP4 (audio/video) has basically overtaken the video market.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'd say this one is true...I upgraded to Pro over a year ago and wondered why I never had to renew it..Now we know.

Actually you never had to renew it because a new major upgrade version, i.e., Quicktime 8, wasn't released. Minor upgrades and fixes have always been free.

At any rate, if this actually happens, great news.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Am I the only one worried that Apple is only making such a move because they don't have enough other stuff to make Snow Leopard a compelling buy? I mean, I don't think OpenCL and that stuff is going to sound very interesting to the non-programers... it'll just sound complicated to the average computer user and Apple would be better not talking about it at all when trying to sell Snow Leopard (unless they're making the sell to those developers and programmers that would be interested in it.)

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
i don't know why I am remembering this, but it seems like leopard was reportedly going to offer this based on the seeds before its release. However, once we got closer to release date it was later disabled and part of the "pro" features. Am I wrong here?

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
The latest Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard seeds suggest that Apple may be eliminating the 'QuickTime Pro' upgrade that is currently offered as a $29.99 upgrade to Mac users.

Apple has long reserved several additional features for QuickTime Pro that are not available in the standard QuickTime Player. Some of these features include editing (cut, copy, paste), ...

There ya have it! If only we'd pony up $29.99 for iPhone Pro, then we could have cut, copy and paste!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
i don't know why I am remembering this, but it seems like leopard was reportedly going to offer this based on the seeds before its release. However, once we got closer to release date it was later disabled and part of the "pro" features. Am I wrong here?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/313072/

looks like there was talk of the "full screen" going free in leopard... which it did as a QT update. but the editing features remained "pro" it looks like even in the seeds.

arn

mlmorg

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
I hope quicktime X will finally include support for divx and mkv. it's ridiculous that quicktime hasn't incorporated all of perian's added benefits yet. plus, windows 7 will support it natively so why not os x?

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I believe the reason they broke out that charge was so they could account for joint licensing agreements. There was other people's IP in there and they wanted to be payed for content creation (try converting a raw file to MP3 for example, IIRC you can't in QT as they didn't want to deal with the licensing fees.) By charging for QT Pro they could separate out any associated revenue as opposed to having to pay out for every copy of OS X they shipped. I imagine that they have renegotiated or will drop some of the older codecs and technologies that are no longer relevant. It is good that it is on by default, but it would have made OS X more costly to have done so in the past, and you may be paying for it now as well.

This sounds very reasonable to me.

--Pablo

tomato45un

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
all mac users would glad that the quick time pro will be free.
i won't buy the pro version normally i used other 3rd party software to cut the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.