Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadirturkman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Ah, no, the monopoly laws say you can't leverage one monopoly in order to gain another.

How were they leveraging on windows to gain another monopoly, how was microsoft gaining from this ? Maybe it's just me, i don't see anything wrong with what microsoft was doing, because all operating systems end up doing the same.. Shouldn't microsoft be allowed to do it just because they're a bit more successful ?

nadirturkman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
wmv is a video codec in itself, .mov merely allows you to encapsulate other codecs and combine various formats into one multimedia file (you could for instance combine mp3 audio, acc audio, wmv video and jpeg files into one .mov file which just encapsulates them all. Those codecs all stay as their respective formats with in a single .mov file.

So it's not the same thing.

.wmv and .mp4 are comparable but .mov is something different.

Thank's i did not know that! ;) always thought .mov was a QT format since it only played on QT.

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
How were they leveraging on windows to gain another monopoly, how was microsoft gaining from this ? Maybe it's just me, i don't see anything wrong with what microsoft was doing, because all operating systems end up doing the same.. Shouldn't microsoft be allowed to do it just because they're a bit more successful ?

I don't have an opinion, just trying to explain what the laws say, not that they are right or wrong.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
But imovie isn't a media player. The fact that Macs don't have a built in media player able to do the most basic of tasks like full screen playback is just embarrassing for OS X.

What the hell are you talking about?

iTunes AND Quicktime Free handle media playing just fine. And yes FULL SCREEN playback is enabled!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's about freaking time.

It always blew my mind that they nickel and dimed over this in the first place.

At least they finally started enabling it with FCP and Logic Studio installs.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Quicktime Pro for free with Snow Leopard makes total sense. For an OS update that may have little to market for mainstream users in regards to upfront 'features', being able to say 'Quicktime Pro FREE' is a significant step.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
But imovie isn't a media player. The fact that Macs don't have a built in media player able to do the most basic of tasks like full screen playback is just embarrassing for OS X.

Both iTunes and regular QT player do full screen playback.

I'm not sure what you expect in a media player that iTunes doesn't do, seems to do WAY more than the included windows media player.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
So, your argument is that copyright violators are really bad and have a bad impact. You could be right, I take no position on it. But that doesn't make them "thieves". Just like if you murder someone, that makes you a murderer, not a rapist. It's a different thing.

I suspect the argument is silly because it is based on the old definition of English words that predate the digital world. The concept that something can be obtained whilst leaving the original untouched would have been science fiction when the Oxford Dictionary first defined theft. However, over time laws and definitions will have to be and indeed are being updated to reflect the fact we now live in a world where digital data can be taken without authorization . This is from Wikipedia: 'In criminal law, 'theft' (also known as stealing or filching) is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.'
So now we have to argue about the meaning of 'taking' I guess. ;)

staypuffinpc

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
MPEG-2 playback codec?

Is the MPEG-2 playback codec now going to be available? It's really annoying that Apple has not licensed their 'free' or even 'pro' versions of the player to use the MPEG-2 codec. This is a very annoying and huge problem with the stupid .mod formats that a lot of digital camcorders (standard format) use. I have purchased this for my own computer, but I work with a lot of school districts that need to use files from the same cameras and I'm very reticent to recommend that they purchase a $20 codec for a $30 tool. Any clue on this, anyone?

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
I suspect the argument is silly because it is based on the old definition of English words that predate the digital world. The concept that something can be obtained whilst leaving the original untouched would have been science fiction when the Oxford Dictionary first defined theft. However, over time laws and definitions will have to be and indeed are being updated to reflect the fact we now live in a world where digital data can be taken without authorization . This is from Wikipedia: 'In criminal law, 'theft' (also known as stealing or filching) is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.'
So now we have to argue about the meaning of 'taking' I guess. ;)

Well, if someone is charged with illegally copying software, are they charged with theft? No, they are charged with copyright violation. We have a term for it already! (and copyright violation predates the digital world too, though of course it is much easier now.)

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
This is good. I bought QuickTime Pro a couple years back and I love it, but I'd rather not have to pay $30 again. Good on Apple for finally doing what they should have done to begin with.

juststranded

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2006
Please please please, Apple, get rid of some of my options for playing movies.

• Quicktime
• DVD Player
• QuickLook
• iTunes
• iMovie

I don't know how they could simplify them, but at least get rid of DVD Player and give QuickTime a better DVD menu. Besides, they'd have to change it to BluRay Player soon. That'd just be a horrible name.

Anyone know if there's a disadvantage to watching a movie in QuickLook as apposed to Quicktime?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Please please please, Apple, get rid of some of my options for playing movies.

• Quicktime
• DVD Player
• QuickLook
• iTunes
• iMovie

I don't know how they could simplify them, but at least get rid of DVD Player and give QuickTime a better DVD menu. Besides, they'd have to change it to BluRay Player soon. That'd just be a horrible name.

Anyone know if there's a disadvantage to watching a movie in QuickLook as apposed to Quicktime?

Don't think there's any difference between watching in QuickLook or Quicktime due to the nature of QT being the media engine behind OSX.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
As far as I remember, QT-X has been said to be reengineered to a far more convenient API for developers, which, I suspect, would be Cocoa in the language of apple enigineers. So the main reason, why they release QT-Pro for free would actually be that any developer could create a Pro-version within less than 2 hours which would make the QT-application useless because within no-time, everyone would download a well-working app. To prevent this unsatisfying third-party-software-download (I'm speaking about the users), they release the Pro in first place.

btw: Students (Neptun, Poseidon) get the Pro for free since several years.

And to follow the previous posts, I too think that a simple, fast-to-load, just-for-a-quick-look media player is absolutely necessary on any system.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Exactly my question here...are people grumpy or what? There is absolutely no reason to rate this news as negative...:rolleyes:

This forum is full of b*tchy whiners, or hadn't you gotten that yet.

I only pop on now and again to laugh at the ones that work themselves into a froth. :D

Peace
M.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
About damn f'in time

No need to whine, as I always had the Pro features since I bought FCS, but...

...could Apple please start to offer QuickTime encoding support for MP3 again?

Blame it on Peugeot, but my car stereo only supports MP3, so I'm switching back to it now :D

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
'bout time. I've always assumed this was to cover some licensing cost, but it's time to roll it in.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Well, if someone is charged with illegally copying software, are they charged with theft? No, they are charged with copyright violation. We have a term for it already! (and copyright violation predates the digital world too, though of course it is much easier now.)

Since Dowling v. United States rejected the notion that copyright infringement is theft you are technically correct. Perhaps this will change over time. European courts may lead the way for surely common sense will eventually win through. I would contend a digital item, a concept or a tune can be stolen and the concept it cannot and only copyright violation applies is simply outmoded. Having said that, the law is a strange beast when a petty crime of theft can lead to years in prison and white collar crimes are often treated lightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.