Apple to Introduce a Curved-Glass iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2011.

1. MacRumors, May 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Digitimes reports that according to industry sources, Apple is planning to adopt a "curved cover glass" for its next generation iPhone.
    According to those same sources, Apple has purchased 200-300 glass cutting machines to be used by glass makers.
    It's hard to say what type of design a "curved cover glass" iPhone would adopt. It would also fly against recent claims and beliefs that the iPhone 5 will adopt a generally similar-to the iPhone 4 form factor but with only minor modifications.

[​IMG]

Apple has previously used curved glass in the previous generation iPod Nano. Image above from DailyMail.co.uk.

The Samsung Nexus S uses a concave curved screen. The reasoning behind the move was for comfort:

[​IMG]

Article Link: Apple to Introduce a Curved-Glass iPhone 5?

2. macrumors member

Are we to expect a nexus s shape with iphone 4 metal antenna wrapped around, because that would be interesting.

3. macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

Curved? I'm not following.

4. macrumors regular

What?

The iPhone 4 already has curved glass. Or are we talking a non-flat surface? My brain just exploded.

5. macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

like the tapered edges of the iPod touch but in glass? :confused:

6. macrumors 65816

kjs862

Sounds interesting, mockups anyone?

7. macrumors 601

Icaras

back to old school tube television!!

8. macrumors 68040

boss.king

From my understanding this will be like the Nexus S, where the display has a slight concave. Anyone with Nexus S experience? What's it like?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Or if I believe it.

9. macrumors newbie

Plasmastrike

I'm thinking an iPhone with the same design fundamentals of the iPad 2 (curved body, similar buttons).

At least it's pleasant to think about:)

10. macrumors member

Firestrife

sounds like it's gonna look nice. mock ups needed.

11. macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Thats what it sounds like.

Im guessing it's going to look like the iPad 2 but in glass.
    So it will be flat on the back and it curves at the edges so it won't feel so thick.

12. macrumors 68000

3goldens

GREAT!
    First its glass, now its curved glass.
    What I am sure of is that it will be a beautiful design and certainly drive all the case manufacturers CRAZY!

13. macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the back will be curved like a pebble to better fit the contours of your hand. This already sounds above and beyond anything competitors have come close to, design-wise.

What would be clever is if they had a luminated, frosted 3D Apple logo etched into the glass back with a laser. :cool:

14. macrumors member

Let's see a mockup! :eek: :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 6502

"...hold on guys....we've got...one more thing....

....introducing....the iPhone Curve..."
    :p

16. macrumors member

saxofunk

yeah, cuz curved glass will make it break less often. oh and easy to fix. file under: (sarcasm)

17. macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I am guessing curved like the 4th gen ipod nano. I don't really expect Apple to do something like that, but then again they continue to surprise me with each new product release/upgrade. :apple:

18. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

google search found this old mockup

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 68000

Kwill

This confirms it

In other words, there's a new rumor to support the FACT that no one has a clue what the next iPhone will look like.

20. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

purchasing machines that curve the glass? then how the hell do they make Magic Mouse glass?

21. macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Above and Beyond

Thisis going to be miles ahead of anything else out there. I can picture it perfectly.

22. macrumors 6502a

Curved glass? That's so un-Apple!

23. macrumors 6502a

The Magic Mouse surface is quite clearly plastic, not glass :)

24. macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's cool. I wonder if it will be more prone to breaking from a drop.

25. macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

It's plastic.