Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
What makes you think Apple won't make it as a peripheral device to the iPhone? Do you have some secret insider information that leads you to this? Apple could choose to release any bad device when they chose to, but that is very unlike them. Apple generally either completely makes a new market, or enters a market when it is more mature, but not in it's middle stages. This gives them enough time to see what works and what doesn't, and based on most smart watches they are a accessory device to a phone. If you wanted a device that just told time, get a watch, but most wanted information (things wanted on the go) will require an internet connection and unless these are getting a SIM card slot, a LTE chip, a 802.11 ac wifi chip, and a number of other things it won't be a standalone device.
The point is biosensors. They made the device to track numerous biometrics. It will do everything else, like tell time, send push notifications, etc., but it was designed for a purpose, and that is biometrics, there's nothing more to say really.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
The point is biosensors. They made the device to track numerous biometrics. It will do everything else, like tell time, send push notifications, etc., but it was designed for a purpose, and that is biometrics, there's nothing more to say really.

The biometrics will work without an iPhone, but I doubt it would work well without it. I think this is the reason for the Health app in iOS 8. The iPhone 6 will have some Health tracking abilities but the iWatch will finish those abilities and send them to be checked and logged on and iOS device. Push notifications couldn't work without a subsequent iOS device either. I think it is possible that it could work without and iPhone, but usage would be minimal at best, and knowing Apple they'd likely require an iPhone with it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't regard Gruber as a journalism as he is far to partisan. He is pro Apple above being fair in what be writes.

That means he's not the type of journalist that's suitable for a newspaper or magazine. True. They are different from him.

But if he's delivering news that no one else knew about, that's journalism.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Round watches have been in style for 100 years. Pretty good criteria in my book. Many of the current regular digital watches are round for this reason even though there's no functional justification for it.

And I have a couple of nice analog watches that are square. Functionality is far more important than shape.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
The biometrics will work without an iPhone, but I doubt it would work well without it. I think this is the reason for the Health app in iOS 8. The iPhone 6 will have some Health tracking abilities but the iWatch will finish those abilities and send them to be checked and logged on and iOS device. Push notifications couldn't work without a subsequent iOS device either. I think it is possible that it could work without and iPhone, but usage would be minimal at best, and knowing Apple they'd likely require an iPhone with it.

No, all biometric tracking is done on the iWatch through it's biosensors. It can then be pushed to the iPhone, or other iOS device, later, or never. It's primary function is biometrics, and it tracks them alone, and can display that information alone. The health app is merely a location for this information to be fed to be kept and graphed, but similar functionality will be on the device. You will be able to purchase an iWatch and use it as a biometric laden sensor device without owning any other Apple device.

You're right that the iWatch would obviously need tethered to the iPhone or other iOS device for push notifications etc, but that is not the point of the device. That's like the calculator or clock on an iPhone...of course it's there, but that's not what the device was designed for.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Apple to Introduce iWatch in September Suggests Apple Journalist John Gruber

Whenever it is released, it will be pre-announced like the original iPhone was, an Sdk and beta software will be made available to developers, as well as a few pre production models sent out to various developers before final release. Why unleash it into the wild to eager customers and reviewers without feild testing and adequate app support out of the box.

I'd be willing to bet that there will be no 3rd party apps on the iWatch.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Except the Moto360 isn't round. That's where Gruber's flat tire comment comes from. It really is shaped more like a flat tire than a circle. They should have called it a Moto270.

This.
I'd be willing to bet, Apple wouldn't compromise by shaving off a portion of the face.
It just looks half-assed finished and an omission of failure.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
iPod leather case announcement.

WHAT IPOD LEATHER CASE ANNOUNCEMENT!?!?!?!?!!!!

I have been looking for a snap on leather case for my iPod5 similar to the Apple iPhone5s leather case for MONTHS.

WHERE CAN I FIND IT!!!!!?????!!!!!

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
That means he's not the type of journalist that's suitable for a newspaper or magazine. True. They are different from him.

But if he's delivering news that no one else knew about, that's journalism.
I agree with you, Gruber is someone who many newspapers or magazines would employee. Many newspapers and magazines have a professional ethic to uphold.

PR and advertising agencies delivering news that no one else knew, but that certainly is not journalism.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Do any of you actually read his feeds a regular basis? He didn't mean this statement as a fact, or some sort of unannounced news. He is saying it facetiously. When he has a prediction or inside info, he says so.

I can't believe this even made it to macrumors. Who is in charge here?

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
It's an iOS device, not an accessory, it has important functionality as it's own device. If you think this is an accessory then you are way off. Yes, it will compliment other iOS devices well , just like they all do now with their interconnectivity, but it was not designed as an accessory. Apple would. Not. Do. That. Period. Hence why it has taken so long for them to perfect it. They could have released a piece of trash accessory like the Andriod smart watches, years ago.

You're going to be so disappointed when it requires an iphone to do anything more than tell the time and count your steps.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
This.
I'd be willing to bet, Apple wouldn't compromise by shaving off a portion of the face.
It just looks half-assed finished and an omission of failure.

Motorola had many of the most brilliant engineers on the planet. As far as cellular radio and antenna design goes, their engineers BLEW AWAY Apple's engineering department. Unfortunately Motorola management never knew how to capitalize on the incredible talent they had there. I say "had" because the company is now just a shell of what it was even two years ago. Lots of great engineers lost their jobs.

So I would be a bit surprised if Apple's engineering folks found a way around the issue display issue if Motorola could not. But who knows. Maybe they hired some of the Motorola brilliance and set them free to do brilliant things.... though Apple has been so stupid lately they probably let Google snap up all the best people.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
HaHa you say this like Journalist is somehow above blogger. It's not about title, it's about access - there are maybe 4 people that have access to Apple, and Gruber is one of them. Most Journalists, yes, most, are absolute idiots.

That fact that Gruber has that kind of access to Apple is because he is not a Journalist. A Journalist would be far more critical of Apple and would publish news when they thought it was in the public interest, not when Apple would want it made public. Both he and Apple know this.

Many blogger are journalists, their blog is just the tool to publish their journalism.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
You're going to be so disappointed when it requires an iphone to do anything more than tell the time and count your steps.

You're right, it'll use the iPhones imbedded biosensors to send the iPhone biometrics. Oh wait.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
He's joking right? I'm not that into Motorola products right now, but I must admit that the 360 looks really good.

It looks good? Yes. It looks Really Good? No. the black strip on the edge of the watch face kind of ruins it for me. Hopefully they will fix it in the next version, but the way the screen was cut off totally turns me off.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
You're right, it'll use the iPhones imbedded biosensors to send the iPhone biometrics. Oh wait.

I don't doubt for a second that I'll be able to go for a run and look down at my Iwatch to see a map of where I'm at and all my speed, heart rate, pulse and stride stats. I just don't think I'll be able to do that without my iphone in my pocket. I really hope Apple surprises me, but I don't think I'll get a functioning, cut-down version of runkeeper on the watch without runkeeper running on my phone.

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
They look great in marketing renderings, but in real life, not so much. Sides are way too chunky, hence the "flat tire" description.

I believe the "flat tire" description refers to the display itself, with the blacked out non display area on the bottom of the screen giving it a flat tire look.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I don't doubt for a second that I'll be able to go for a run and look down at my Iwatch to see a map of where I'm at and all my speed, heart rate, pulse and stride stats. I just don't think I'll be able to do that without my iphone in my pocket. I really hope Apple surprises me, but I don't think I'll get a functioning, cut-down version of runkeeper on the watch without runkeeper running on my phone.

Lol there's not a chance in hell it will require the iPhone for that. How does the iPhone transfer RAM and CPU wirelessly?

It will track all of those irrespective of whether or not you have another Apple device. Apple devices stand alone, they function on their own. Yes, it will have functionality that requires an iPhone tethered, like notifications, but it absolutely will have the main function by itself , which is tracking biometrics from the biosensors on the iWatch, not the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.