Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
ah okay.

I have windows machines at home and at work and while they're okay i really don't like using them for extended use.

I guess getting a surface pro JUST FOR ONENOTE might not be so bad though.
Would I be able to view onenote hand annotated content?

For that matter, I wonder if there are any good PDF annotation applications on Surface Pro that were not made by the same people who make them for the iPad (they are ALL ****ING GARBAGE).

View OneNote annotated content where? On a Mac? It was added recently, same with iOS. You'd need to get the OneNote app, but it's free.

As for whether or not there are any good annotation software, I'd think so. It's Windows 64-bit, it runs everything that Windows does. If you had Office 2013, that'd obviously do it. I've never had to annotate things, though, so beyond that I'd just have to say "It has all the Windows programs".

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Retina Macbook Air. Calling it.

iPad Pro........guess I won't be upgrading to a Air 2 this year. I'll wait for this.

Something special is definitely inbound, something which might make anyone getting an iPad Air 2 or MBA this year regret that decision. I might be wrong, but I still think some convergence will occur with the iPad and MBA lines, maybe next year.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I look forward to seeing people use it as their primary camera at weddings.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
iPads should have a more robust version of iOS running on them. Don't ask me what else Apple should add....because I don't personally feel let down by my iPads at all.

But it seems to me that people expect more out of an iPad than what they get out of their iPhone. I think Apple can bring some additional features/innovation to iOS specific to the iPad.

*Note* A big plus does lie in developers creating additional functionality in the iPad version of their apps. While many take advantage of this, I think developers should continue to push the envelope on the iPad side.

Apps don't address shortcomings of the OS, such as proper multi-tasking (such as side-by-side, overlayed), user accounts, file system, external drives/devices, stylus input digitizer, external monitors, etc.

And realistically, apps aren't necessarily an advantage in this segment (+12") because you can use actual full desktop apps on something like a SP3, whereas the Apps might be limited in comparison (as they usually are).

On the other hand, I hope Apple releases a device with a larger screen and detachable keyboard, and includes the features I listed above. Personally, I'd rather see more capability out of my devices.

Better yet, a phablet with all those capabilities would be excellent.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Here we go again! I don't see anything new since the last rumor.

yep. This is the same game as that real TV that has been rumored for the last 4 years.

I predict that in early 2015 there will be a rumor that 'issues' have delayed it until late 2015, then in mid 2015 there will be fresh rumors that the 'issues' are even worse than thought and it will be 2016.

followed shortly by someone saying there will be no 12 inch iPad and its actually the new Apple TV (a real tv that is tablet thin, highly portable and will start with a 13 inch screen)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apps don't address shortcomings of the OS, such as proper multi-tasking (such as side-by-side, overlayed), user accounts, file system, external drives/devices, stylus input digitizer, external monitors, etc.

And realistically, apps aren't necessarily an advantage in this segment (+12") because you can use actual full desktop apps on something like a SP3, whereas the Apps might be limited in comparison (as they usually are).

On the other hand, I hope Apple releases a device with a larger screen and detachable keyboard, and includes the features I listed above. Personally, I'd rather see more capability out of my devices.

Better yet, a phablet with all those capabilities would be excellent.
OK, so I didn't day apps fix all. I clearly mentioned Apple needs to beef up iOS for the iPad. While I don't agree with some of your specific examples, I get there are others who ask for similar things. And some of these make more sense on an iPad than an iPhone.

That's ultimately my point. They are different devices....give them different feature sets.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Ok, now it is it time for a mac mini, that has the form factor of the keyboard part of a macbook air/pro.
So just the keyboard and the case around it. No monitor.
Put a battery in the macmini to be able to use it cordless.
Make a mechanism that is able to click the ipad pro on this macmini.
Put x86 hardware in the macmini, and when you put the two devices together, you' ll have a dual boot osx, ios laptop.

A great convertible and hybrid machine.

The future?
Or just the beginning of the end of osx and intel based x86 macbooks?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well they have SERIOUSLY got to offer something to make this worthwhile, otherwise it's pointless paying that money for just another bigger iPad.

It needs to offer split screen multitasking and a quad core CPU and top end quad core GPU would be great, along with 3GB Ram.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I think this would be a great device. I've played with the Surface Pro 3 and really like the form factor, just don't have any use for Windows. An iPad in that size would be great, especially if it offers a split screen.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I wouldn't buy an iPad that size... A 15" retina MacBook Air on the other hand...

Hear hear! While does Apple sell a $399 iPad with 7.9" screen that can display over 3.14 million pixels...

... their $1000+ MacBook Air with 13" display can't even display 1.3 million pixels.

A screen more than 3x the size in a computer more than 2x the cost displays less than 1/2 the pixels?

Sorry Apple, but seriously? FAIL

otoh, at least it is better than some other laptop mfrs pushing 15" displays that max at 1366x768.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't have time to read the entire thread, so could someone give me the Cliff Notes version? Is a 12" tablet a great idea now and did Samsung copy Apple by releasing their 12" tablet a year before Apple? :eek::D:D

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't have time to read the entire thread, so could someone give me the Cliff Notes version? Is a 12" tablet a great idea now and did Samsung copy Apple by releasing their 12" tablet a year before Apple? :eek::D:D

Oh absolutely Samsung copied Apple, seriously man, they actually entirely copied the DeLorean time travel machine and went forward into the future mate, everything they offer is based on Apple products from the future..

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
OK, so I didn't day apps fix all. I clearly mentioned Apple needs to beef up iOS for the iPad. While I don't agree with some of your specific examples, I get there are others who ask for similar things. And some of these make more sense on an iPad than an iPhone.

That's ultimately my point. They are different devices....give them different feature sets.

I'm hoping I didn't come across confrontational... I was just expressing a view about the topic you brought up.

I definitely agree with you that iOS for iPads should make better use of its size and capabilities. Having 3x3 folders is one example that seems a little silly. ;)

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I use my iPad with keyboard for work over my 14" laptop. Instant on, VDI if I need Windows 7, portable. If they had a 12", I think it would be great for the enterprise market.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I don't see who the target market is for this.

1. It isn't for kids - bigger = easier to break. Plus, for a kid, the "regular" size iPad is already large.
2. It isn't for millennials - nobody wants to lug something around that big that doesn't even function like a full computer.
3. It isn't for business because it still doesn't do half of what the Surface 3 would for businesses.

Who is it for!? Techies and Apple enthusiasts that just want another Apple product around the house?

I'd put it in a stand and watch/stream movies, use it as a second screen to watch NCAA Football/basketball ,oh yeah, bring it on, its the future of "touch"

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
i love my iPad but as a very loyal apple guy i am sick of seeing samsung, HTC and MS putting out stuff sooner that will have things we want but won't get with the new iPhone and iPad!!! apple is never ahead anymore. i won't switch due to all my apps but i see HTC with 4x resolution. MS surface runs full apps, has a real stylus, samsung has a lot more bells and whistles. and this things are already out so why doesn't apple add these things to their new line?? we still can't use our phones to purchase stuff in stores!!!

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

Oh absolutely Samsung copied Apple, seriously man, they actually entirely copied the DeLorean time travel machine and went forward into the future mate, everything they offer is based on Apple products from the future..

I know you're trying to be sarcastic but that's actually exactly what a Korean newspaper said, that Samsung pre-emtively released a large tablet before Apple because they knew the large iPad was coming, and if you read the Macrumors article, you'll see Apple has been working with display suppliers for a while already. Samsung would've known about it since Apple's main iPad display suppliers are in Korea. Why is that so difficult to imagine though? Chinese makers are already selling iPhone 6 lookalikes. Asian makers are nothing if not nimble.

dav1dd

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Oz
A Niche Product?

The 17" MBP was a niche product, too. But it's gone. I don't believe Apple is interested in niche products (anymore). The whole company used to be niche, which was great, but that's gone now. Now they just want mainstream commercial success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.