Apple to Launch Personal Pickup for iPhone 5 Tonight

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5Mac reports that Apple is planning to launch Personal Pickup for new iPhone 5 orders starting tonight at 10:00 PM Eastern. The program allows users to place and pay for orders online in advance and then pick up their items at an Apple retail store.
    [​IMG]

AppleInsider notes that the program is new for U.S. iPhone 5 customers, as sales in many other countries have already been made available on a reservation basis.
    Reports differ on how long customers will have to pick up their purchased iPhones, with 9to5Mac saying that customers will have "upwards of 2 weeks" while AppleInsider says that customers will have to pick them up the following day or the units will be returned to the pool for purchase by other customers.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Personal Pickup for iPhone 5 Tonight

2. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

From Android users? ;-)

3. macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I went to the Apple Store this morning and was told this as well.

Been also told after 4AM you can't reserve and all remaining units are first come first serve next morning. So I guess for the few weeks or so you'll need to reserve (due to demand); afterwards you can probably get one next day without a reservation.

4. xxgilxx, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

macrumors regular

xxgilxx

I thought you could do that already...

...oh that was the Home Depot...

5. macrumors 68000

so instead of buyers just walking in, they want you to do it online then come in?

6. macrumors 601

ixodes

Good for Apple, it took them long enough... but sooner or later they always come to their senses and do something that could have been done much earlier. :)

7. macrumors newbie

I wonder if canceling my web-order (3-4 weeks) and doing an in-store reservation will be faster.

8. macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Does it make sense that iPhone buyers now can pick up their iPhones whereas preorder buyers have to wait 2 more weeks or more?

9. macrumors newbie

My thoughts exactly... if they have so many extras, why am I back-ordered with a 2-3 week shipping delay?! :mad::confused:

10. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

We had reserve and collect in the uk for the 4s last year

11. GenesisJLS, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

12. macrumors 6502a

i-John

How many online orders will be cancelled now to go reserve at the store :)

13. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

When I got the iPhone 4 it was like that, I guess they prioritise the store customers.

14. macrumors 6502

Just phoned UK Aberdeen Apple store and they confirmed pick ups. What shocked me was the fact that they do have plenty of any range of iphones 5...and then you see 3-4 weeks on delivery if you buy through website. Marketing?

15. macrumors newbie

Last year with iPhone 4s you were able to reserve the night before and if you didn't pick it up by 6p it was given away. I learned the hard way by showing up at 6:30 to pick it up after misreading the confirmation email.

Fair to say they'll do something similar - as when I went at 6:30 there was a line of people waiting to get the "missed pickups".

16. macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

You have to remember that the vast majority of customers do not live near an Apple Store. Online ordering is for them - it's the cheapest and most convenient method - but not always the fastest.

17. JAT
    macrumors 603

18. macrumors member

19. macrumors 68040

D.T.

I'm waiting for the Personal Dropoff service (assuming we can choose the Genius ... there's one at the local Apple Store ... hubba hubba!)

:D

20. macrumors newbie

What a joke... I pre-ordered my iphone thinking that apple would put a priority on customers that ordered it first. Now I come to find out that people can just go to the store and pick one up.

Why even bother to have a pre-order process if they're going to be readily available in the stores - while we wait like chumps for 2 weeks...

21. macrumors 6502a

I'm still at a 5 Oct delivery, iPhone's been hanging out at ZhengZhou for a couple of days.

I won't be preordering next time unless it's within the first..30-45mins of the 'flood gates' opening.

22. macrumors member

They did the same last year with the iPhone 4s, they starting taking reservation at 9pm the first Monday after the launch date ;)

23. macrumors 68020

applesith

I saw a sign about this at the Grand Central store today.

24. macrumors 68020

Even though I'm not in a huge rush, I may take advantage of this since my iPhone 5 isn't going to be delivered until the middle to end of October. I'll just simply call AT&T and have them cancel my order if I can reserve one for in-store pick up.

25. macrumors regular

So in theory I could pre-order on the night of the 28th and pick-up on the morning of the 29th?

Is this correct? Just trying to clarify this for myself.