Apple to Launch Standalone Podcast App with iOS 6

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 15, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, AppAdvice noted that three categories of content had disappeared from the iTunes app in iOS 6: Podcasts, Audiobooks, and iTunes U. Apple launched a dedicated iTunes U app earlier this year, but the fate of the other content types in iOS 6 remained unclear.

[​IMG]

AllThingsD now reports that Apple will also be launching a standalone app for podcasts in iOS 6, giving them greater visibility while simplifying the iTunes app that has become home to an increasingly large number of content categories.
    Podcasts are one of the longest-tenured media types on Apple's portable devices, having been available through the iTunes Store since the release of iTunes 4.9 in mid-2005.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Standalone Podcast App with iOS 6

2. macrumors 68020

3. macrumors 603

nfl46

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Still doesn't look any better than Downcast, so I think I will be sticking with that.

6. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

You're not looking at tr Podcasts app, but the removal of podcast support in the iOS6 music app.

7. Howardchief, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

macrumors regular

iWelcome this change. I like my podcasts. Tons of free content out there. UMPODCAST! \mm/

8. macrumors regular

leon44

I like this!
    Podcasts never really fitted in with iTunes, because they're free and like radio shows. I hope the new app is designed with streaming and subscriptions in mind, that'd be very nice

9. macrumors regular

Megagator

Hopefully the new app will be completely independent from iTunes as far as downloading and syncing with other devices. Obviously should still sync with iTunes for backlog of podcasts...

10. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Hopefully this is a sign of a complete shift in mentality in terms of the iTunes model and they eventually move to blow up that behemoth too.

11. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Cool. Being stuffed into the 'more' tab is never a great way to treat a feature if you want people to care about it.

12. macrumors 6502a

Apple should do the exact same thing on the Mac, get rid of iTunes and make separate apps including built in stores for Music, Podcasts, Videos and bring iBooks to the Mac.

It makes more sense on a user experience standpoint as it would be consolidating the apps like on iOS.

It also makes no sense to keep the standard iTunes App in iOS, they could just build the iTunes store into the Music App.

13. macrumors regular

I believe AllThingsD, but Podcasts is most definitely still in the Music app and iTunes app in iOS 6. As well as Audiobooks and iTunes U.

[​IMG]

14. macrumors newbie

I think that's a great idea. I don't think it will happen because PC users would have to download more applications onto their PCs.

15. macrumors 68020

miamialley

Well what are the movies and tv shows doing in that iOS 6 iTunes app? I thought they live in the videos app now, as of iOS 5?

16. macrumors 65816

back to the iOS reports on macrumors. It was nice for mac to take the spotlight in the last few days

17. macrumors 6502a

Maybe keep iTunes as it is on Windows, most die hard Apple fans have a Mac anyway.

18. macrumors 68000

davidjearly

I think this is a good thing, and will help to heighten the profile of podcasts separately on the iTunes Store. Right now, they're lost in a muddle of content.

...would it be wrong of me to link to my FREE video podcasts here? Recently launched, and I would appreciate any comments/reviews on iTunes!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=528255713

I'm a postgrad medical student and have been working on all aspects of these for two years.

19. macrumors regular

It's the iTunes Store App, not Music or Videos app

20. Guest

WeegieMac

When I search for The Cultcast (Cult Of Mac) on iOS 6, it shows in the search field but when I press the name, nothing returns on screen to download.

I initially thought it was a beta 1 bug, but in light of this news perhaps not.

21. Guest

22. macrumors regular

Something is up because there is no content and only a few banners under podcasts in iOS 6

23. Guest

Yea Im wondering why its still in iOS 6.

24. macrumors newbie

Subscriptions please!

My number one requested feature would be to notify me when a new podcast is available. Then have the podcast just start playing when I open the podcast app via streaming. It's not a well documented feature that you can go to the iTunes store, click on the "preview" button, and have the whole podcast streamed to your phone. AT&T won't let you download the podcast when you're not connected to wi-fi. So stupid.

Notify me when a new episode appears.
    Stream the episode.

That's very simple and it's what podcasts in iOS should have been doing for years.

25. macrumors regular

I hope it stays in the music app, no reason to move it out. If you are listening to music than want to switch over to a podcast why should you have to dump out of an app to go into another one that is providing the exact same kind of file. It's almost like not having access to your photo album while in the camera app.