Apple to make iPod mini worldwide in July

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 25, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

damn you motorola!!! :D :D :D

3. macrumors member

Another day, another missed ship date.

Here we go again.

ONE MORE TIME, I'm going to ask...who's responsible for Materials Planning at Apple? I suggested Bozo the clown before, but I'm thinking it might be SpongeBob Square Pants!

4. macrumors regular

lol Apple does have issues with new products. But I also don't think that even Apple expected the Mini to be so popular. Considering all the people who were bashing it in January, I am a little surprised it is doing so well.

5. macrumors 6502

macdong

aww man, i just recommended iPod Mini to all my high school classmates in Taiwan.

6. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

how many darn threads do we need about this!? :rolleyes:

7. macrumors member

So it's a bad thing that the iPod mini is selling so well that they can't keep enough in stock? I'm guessing that's a Good Thing<SMALL><SUP>TM</SUP></SMALL>, at least for Apple. Not for people who want to buy them.

8. macrumors regular

It does mean Apple will miss out on some revenue that they could otherwise have had sooner.

9. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

i suppose its a good thing.

my comment was sarcastic in the sense for the past ~4 years, every delay has been blamed on motorola. i thought it would be funny to point the finger at motorola yet again despite the fact they had nothing to do with this delay.

10. macrumors member

First no freakin' PM updates and now no iPOD mini (which of course I promised to get for my girlfriend for her birthday mid-may, now that's going to be an interesting conversation!)

Man... I swear Microsoft never messed me around this much!

11. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

HTML posting does not work here. You can do what you want though. All UBB tags are enclosed in square brackets. So this does a [sup]TM[/sup] :
    Code:
    [sup ]TM[/sup ]
    Or at least it's meant to. Doesn't seem to work for some reason...

12. macrumors regular

montex

Does this sound familiar? Apple announces a breakthru product and releases it a month or so after the announcement. Then (surprise!) demand is much higher than they ever could have imagined and won't be able to make the product fast enough, forcing customer to wait weeks or even months to fulfill their orders.

How many times does this have to happen before someone at Apple (uh, Steve?) says to the veep in charge of production "You're fired!". Apple is in the business of selling, right? Why do they always seem to sell themselves short when they could be reeling in some serious bank? There must be a bean counter at Apple that has no confidence in their products and constrains production accodingly. I mean, c'mon guys haven't you gotten over the IIvx yet?

Seriously, this is the one thing about Apple that drives me up a wall!

13. php
    macrumors newbie

This makes me glad I'm not an Apple shareholder, because Apple's next quarter will be dismal. There are delays now in shipping the iPod Mini, the next generation G5 towers and new displays and the G5 Powerbooks. I'd like to know what Apple is selling that will make them a profit, maybe digital music downloads, but I really doubt that's as profitable as new hardware.
    I do music production and I need a very fast, portable solution. The current Powerbooks are a joke in this regard. I've been using Macs since 1986 (and Apple products much before that) and right now, a new Sony VAIO Centrino notebook is starting to look real good. Apple better get their act together soon or I'm sure there will be more "switchers" over to the PC platform. We need new Apple hardware soon!

14. macrumors regular

and the big announcement for the week is ... product delays

maybe one of these days I'll get that dual 2.2 G5

15. macrumors 68040

MattG

Spongebob...definitely Spongebob

16. macrumors 65816

1macker1

**pointing and laughing** HAHAHAH

17. macrumors 6502

Only for the dendritic poor, ganglion challenged. The rest will happily wait for the best.

18. macrumors newbie

My faithful 4 year old sony walkman started eating tapes last friday, cementing my resolution to get a Ipod mini in a week or two.

Now I'm of a mind to get a Zen and move my music collection to my pc.

19. macrumors 6502a

quit whining

:rolleyes: eh, quit whining. Apple is just playing it safe. What if demand for the ipod had been weaker than expected and apple had ordered one million more 1-inch hard drives than it needed. then they'd be in deep doodoo. if they underestimate the demand, then they won't more than a several-day inventory channel, which is very appealing to investors and drives stock prices up.

come on now, use your brain before you just whine about how you're inconvinenced.

besides, i ordered my ipod mini march 1st and got it a week ago. Doesn't seem to be much of a supply problem to me (at least in the us) ;)

20. macrumors regular

Given that Apple is apparently absorbing all production of the hard drives used in the mini, I'm not sure that Apple materials planning is to blame here. It sounds like the problem is Hitachi can't crank out the key component out fast enough.

In any case, it seems to me that having sale greatly outstrip predictions is a very good thing -- certainly better than the opposite. (I find it funny that folks first complained that the mini wouldn't sell, and now complain that Apple can't make enough of them.)

21. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

are you really going to see a huge difference from a dual 2 g5? i assume other internals will be updated, but will a simple .2 ghz update show a major increase in speedt be a major change?

22. macrumors member

i couldn't agree more.
    i know it's not possible to account for every variable every time, but it seems like every time now when they announce a new product or even a revision, that the consumer gets slapped with the 5-7 weeks ship date, and then gets the email 5-7 weeks later that "due to unforeseen reasons your product will be delayed."

why don't they wait and announce things when they have sufficient supplies to ship at least some units immediately? i feel that i great number of people are quite frustarted about this issue with apple.

-dornball

23. macrumors 6502a

I don't know, thos Fairly Odd Parents were just arrested on the longhorn delay, they could be behind this too.... :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Who didn't see this coming? Anyone? Anyone?

Call me a troll, but come on.. Who doees Apple really have to blame for a huge chunk of their current situation?

You can set your watch to product, shipping, upgrade delays. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors regular

no: in all likelihood I won't really notice the increase, but if I'm dropping 7K on 3 of them I might as well get as much bang for my buck as possible.