Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mac-mini-mbp-2009-to-2011.jpg
Apple plans to add select 2009 to 2011 model Macs to its vintage and obsolete products list on December 31, 2016, according to an internal memo seen by MacRumors.

The following Macs will be classified as either vintage or obsolete in the United States, Canada, Japan, Europe, Latin America, and the Asia-Pacific region:

o MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
o MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
o Mac mini (Early 2009)
o MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009)

The aforementioned Macs will no longer be eligible for hardware service or new parts from Apple or Apple Authorized Service Providers, except in Turkey and California, where Apple will continue to provide repairs and documentation for up to two years, or December 31, 2018 in this case, as required by local statutes.

Vintage products are those that have not been manufactured by Apple for between five and seven years. Obsolete products are those that were discontinued by Apple more than seven years ago. Apple and Authorized Service Providers make no distinction between obsolete and vintage products outside of Turkey and California.

Article Link: Apple to Obsolete Select 2009 to 2011 Macs at End of Year

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I had an early 2011 15" MBP that I replaced with the retina 2012 model. They aren't significantly different hardware wise. That 2011 model was and still should be pretty powerful. It has a quad-core i7 and SSD with a graphics card plenty powerful enough to drive a non-retina display. Can't remember, does this mean it won't get macOS updates either?

We're coming into a weird age where computers aren't getting much faster each year but companies are still having to obsolete older ones despite the fact that they still run fine. It's weird and seems wasteful.

TimCookMustGo

Suspended
Nov 21, 2016
I have an early 2011 15" MBP. I have yet to find a worthy replacement worth my money. Apple, this is a problem. I waited all this time to have the following:
  • Weak, under-powered machine
  • Dongles are required
  • Gimmicky Touchbar
  • $2,400 Starting Price
  • No Function Keys
  • 16gb RAM cap
Let's get Tim out of there. Please. Seriously.

TailsToo

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
New Jersey
I have an early 2011 15" MBP. I still have yet to find a worth replacement worth my money. Apple, this is a problem. I waited all this time to have the following:

• Weak, under-powered machine
  • Dongles are requires
  • Gimmicky touchbar
  • insane prices
Thanks Tim!

Totally agree - I was ready to buy when the late 2016 models came out, but they are totally underwhelming, especially considering they are mostly glue and solder.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
My mid 2010 MBP is still in the running? Yes! Here's to another six years! :cool:

To be fair, my MBP got darn-near unusable before I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and swapped out the HDD for an SSD. I couldn't do that with the Macbooks Apple is selling these days.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I had an early 2011 15" MBP that I replaced with the retina 2012 model. They aren't significantly different hardware wise. That 2011 model was and still should be pretty powerful. It has a quad-core i7 and SSD with a graphics card plenty powerful enough to drive a non-retina display. Can't remember, does this mean it won't get macOS updates either?

We're coming into a weird age where computers aren't getting much faster each year but companies are still having to obsolete older ones despite the fact that they still run fine. It's weird and seems wasteful.

Just as one example, The Early 2009 Mac Mini already wasn't supported by Sierra before this announcement. In the past, other systems had lost OS support before they were declared obsolete.

OS Support has often been a crapshoot with Apple and their older systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.