1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple to Offer Free Tier of iCloud Without Music Streaming? 'Aggressive' Pricing for Mac OS X Lion?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AppleInsider reports that it has received information from a source claiming that Apple will offer at least a basic tier of iCloud services free of charge to Mac OS X Lion users, although it remains unclear exactly what would be included in that package.
    One thing the free tier is not expected to offer, however, is music streaming. Apple has been negotiating licensing deals with major music labels and publishers to support that functionality, and those deals come at significant cost that Apple will almost certainly be passing along to users, although the company may offer a free introductory trial period in order to help bring users on board.

A separate, "unproven" source has also indicated that Apple may be planning to offer a relatively low price point for Mac OS X Lion, enticing users to upgrade to the new operating system. That low price could be specifically tied to Mac App Store distribution, offering users an incentive to embrace the company's new iOS-like distribution platform for Mac OS X.

Apple has historically offered new Mac OS X versions priced at $129 for single installations, although Mac OS X Snow Leopard has been priced at only $29 since its 2009 debut due to its relative focus on under-the-hood changes that may have led some users looking for more substantial visual changes to refrain from upgrading at a higher price point. It is unclear whether an "aggressive" price point for Mac OS X Lion as claimed by the source would match the $29 price point of Mac OS X Snow Leopard or if it would simply be below the usual $129 price point for major operating system releases.

Article Link: Apple to Offer Free Tier of iCloud Without Music Streaming? 'Aggressive' Pricing for Mac OS X Lion?

2. macrumors 6502

Not free to Windows users would be a mistake, seeing how most iOS devices sync to a Windows computer.

3. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I believe it.

'Free cloud stuff' is where Google has Apple totally licked. I don't think Apple has any choice if they want to attack Android and Chromebooks head-on.

Yeah, charge for the music stuff, but contacts, calendars, Pages documents...all that stuff is eventually gonna have to be free for Macs and iOS devices if Apple wants to keep selling devices.

4. pmz
    macrumors 68000

As a MobileMe member paid through January, I expect a full featured iCloud service immediately on it's launch.

And Im not changing my email to @icloud.com

5. macrumors member

How to bring this in?

How are they going to bring this in? If it's really free, what about people who've already paid for MobileMe - are they going to get a refund? Apple used to have a policy of aggressively up-selling MobileMe when ever you bought a computer with the effect that you can end up with an expiry date more than a year away. If they turn the service free, they'll have to issue a lot of refunds or at the very least, iTunes credits.

6. macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

'Free' and 'Agressive Pricing' are the words i like to hear.

7. macrumors 65816

nunes013

it says that iCloud would be offered free to people who upgrade to lion. this sounds like either iCloud doesn't launch right away or lion will. because what if they make iCloud available that day and you upgrade but then lion comes out in 2 months. would apple just reimburse you

8. Editor emeritus

longofest

agree... I actually still use @mac.com

9. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will be interesting to see what they do for us existing subscribers, mine runs out in April 2012.

10. Guest

toddybody

Awesome. In comparison to 100$+ for windows upgrades...this would be wonderful. Go :apple: !

11. macrumors regular

Somewhat on topic, but it seems pretty obvious at this point that Lion will be released through the Mac App Store, so does anyone else think OS updates would come through the App Store too?

And then, keeping in spirit of OS X and iOS taking features from one another, perhaps that will open the door for iOS updates happening OTA through the iOS App Store.

Then on top of it, perhaps both stores will include the ability to do patches rather than full app replacements....

Just some random thoughts....

12. macrumors newbie

You may not have a choice, pal. :apple:

13. macrumors member

Though seldom used by Apple to define their products :rolleyes:

If true, it's a master move from Apple, that given the sales momentum they're experiencing, is more than likely to significantly increase their desktop computer market share. Tying in the OS/Platform to these services makes a lot of commercial sense in a Jobsian world.

14. macrumors regular

I find it hard to believe Apple will rebrand iTools, I mean .mac, I mean MobileMe again. Hmm maybe I shouldn't find it so hard to believe.

I think it is more likely that MobileMe will become a component of iCloud (or vice versa). MobileMe on the web now already seems a bit like a collection of apps.

15. macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Updates are still done in Software Update in Lion.

16. macrumors 68000

I hope the MobileMe portion will be all-new. I'm tired of watching my calendars duplicate over and over again, no matter how many times I delete them.

17. macrumors 6502a

I've been using the Amazon.com cloud player for about a month now. I love it, and I love that its essentially free if you buy an album.

Apple really needs to step this up in order to get people to pay for it.

18. macrumors newbie

I believe this is how it will work. Since MobileMe might be replaced by iCloud and since iCloud has 2 tiers, one free and one paid, you guys who have already paid for MobileMe will be automatically transferred to the paid tier of iCloud until the date that your MobileMe subscription ends. After which, you will be given a choice to continue on the free tier or paid tier.

Transition from .me.com to .icloud.com I believe will proceed with or without user consent

19. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just bought a new Mini two weeks ago and most likely won't upgrade to Lion for a while because of third-party software (Pro Tools) compatibility issues. I'm also a current MobileMe user. So where does this leave me? Certainly they'll keep at least MobileMe services across all platforms? If they pull a 'forced-upgrade' like with iCal, then I'll be seriously ticked. Hopefully iCloud won't be restricted to Lion...

20. Guest

Sky Blue

huh?

21. macrumors 6502a

Northgrove

I think the headline could be true on both accounts. :)

Apple make their OS X revenue via hardware so "subsidized" stand-alone copies of OS X Lion wouldn't be surprising, and it has happened before.

And free integrated cloud services could be a major perk to get people to switch to OS X especially if they can deliver this before Microsoft in a forthcoming Windows version. Sounds like a typical "One more thing" that Apple could do to stand out, especially if they've built clever features that take advantage of it across their OS X + iOS ecosystem.

It's not like Apple don't have the cash and revenue to lower the barrier of entry to Mac a bit.

22. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Unless you don't count iPods and iPads.

But heck, who thinks about those things, right?

This makes sense. Probably the free account will have stuff like 5 GB of space to store stuff whereas the paid one will have 25, or something. And probably some other perks too. Thus, Apple store employees will still be pushing a paid service on you, the only difference is that if you say 'no' in the future you'll at least get some iCloud features as opposed to now where you only get 'find my iPhone' for free.

23. macrumors newbie

Rather than free, I would prefer more reliable service, with more features. Though I did not have any problems with mobileme recently, I don't fell confident about reliability of current offerings.

24. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Sign me up for a free iPad. :p

25. macrumors regular

In which case I eagerly await news on how Family Packs will be handled. I have the master account and plan on updating to Lion on day 1. However two of sub accounts are used by family members on legacy G4/G5 PowerPc hardware running Leopard with no scope for Lion. If Apple plan on retaining family packs I'm good. If they don't then other family members will wind up paying individually for their accounts whilst I get mine for free. If this happens I'm hoping they'll be able to convert their MobileMe sub-accounts to paid for iCloud accounts, ideally not at full price.

Hopefully all will become clear on Monday.