Apple to Offer iTunes Remote Control App for iPhone and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple released a pre-release version of iTunes 7.7 for developers tonight. In the Read Me of the iTunes installer is a hint at a previously unannounced iPhone/iPod Touch application:
    Apple reveals that they will be offering a free app on the App Store that allows you to remotely control iTunes in your home from your iPhone or iPod Touch. The application will presumably work under Wi-Fi to control playback of iTunes.

Apple has previously patented methods to implement such an iPhone Media remote control.

Article Link

2. macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  3. macrumors 68020

4. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Ok, I think I am finally getting really excited about the new iPhone/iTunes updates. I was getting so hung up on the missing front camera, but I think this finally gets me over the hump.

5. macrumors 68020

Diode

Now just something for the ATV please.

Or is that platform forgotten ;-)

6. macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Cool:):cool: Now all :apple:iPod Touch/:apple:iPhone users won't have to shell out for one of those funky plastic iTunes remote things. LOL :D

7. macrumors 6502a

Peel

Perfect!

I've got my iMac hooked up to my stereo, and that has 4 sets of speakers, including a pair out on my back deck. Now I won't need to run inside during a BBQ or party when a song comes on that nobody likes - just whip out my iPhone and get something good playing :)

8. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Apple is smart, pay 19 for plastic remote or 300 for iPod Touch/iPhone. Hmm, apple is good at this buy our hardware model.

9. macrumors 6502a

Peel

yeah, but I've been finding it real difficult to make a decent phone call on my $19 remote lately :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502

I can second that one.

11. macrumors newbie

that'll be awesome...

can't wait till this all happens!

12. macrumors regular

MacGohil

The target device would be running iTunes software. So this should work with Mac iTunes libraries as well as :apple:TV's iTunes.

Now, One more thing.... Can we get Wiimote like functionality for playing games with :apple:TV + iPhone/iTouch.

13. macrumors 68020

+1. Sounds like the shiznet. Hope it's not gummed up in some way, though.

14. macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Yeah, I'm sure people in the market for an apple remote will buy an iPhone for that purpose

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors 65816

I like that really nice of Apple. Soon ATV would be nice. Now how about the stuff we need for work so that we can get rid of these BB and switch.

17. macrumors 6502a

I hope you didn't just refer to the iPhone as a device that makes a decent phone call lol...it's a great little device, but making decent phone calls is not one of its strong points.

18. macrumors 603

aswitcher

this rocks. I may not sell my touch when I get my iPhone now.

I hope elgato eyetv do this!

19. macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

all right free Apple apps! I see a to do list next!

20. macrumors regular

iTunes is neat, but it would be amazing to get an Apple TV remote. The standard one is kind of lacking. How awesome would it be to get one with full buttons, plus maybe a quick menu to get you to Movies/TV Shows/etc with just one push (from any other place in the interface)

21. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

sweet good thinking apple. I am excited at the possibilities of mobile apps I think we are going to be blown away.

22. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Oh, will they please release a freakin MacMini update already - so that we can make a proper home media server.

Wonder if this will apply to the video catalog in iTunes as well ???

23. macrumors 6502

Apple is pissing me the eff off

You'd think by now they'd at least have 1 test app availible... but NO

All I get for the app store is a "country not supported"

You'd think they want to test the app store before going live....

Pissed, i'd go back to 1.1.4 custom but i like my exchange support too much

24. macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I will be using this everyday, and the best part is it's free. Very cool.

25. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I don't understand.

Why advertise that it's a remote that controls iTunes from anywhere in your home? If you're in your bedroom and your Mac is in your office, how would controlling iTunes remotely benefit you? Or is it assuming your speakers are so loud you would hear iTunes from wherever in the house you are?

Or is that they maybe mean this app gives you remote streaming of iTunes movies and music onto the iPhone? See...that would make sense for ANYWHERE in the house....but why a remote control you can use anywhere?