Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
BUT - Apple only accepted about 4,000 people into the developer program (which is required to upload your application to the Apps Store).

I bet we see about 100-200 apps at launch. I'm looking forward to the Connect 4 app the most :)

Sorry. You are totally right. I was going to say that it was only 4000 accepted people at first but then it said on apple.com that it had reached over 250,000 people and the article made it sound like all of those people SDK downloaders would have their App accepted to the store when it was released... so that kind of confused me a bit... I LOVE connect 4!!:):D

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
BUT - Apple only accepted about 4,000 people into the developer program (which is required to upload your application to the Apps Store).

I bet we see about 100-200 apps at launch. I'm looking forward to the Connect 4 app the most :)

They only need about 50 day 1... then another 50...
...keep 'em comin' back for more! (that's marketing)

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
THis is just fantastic news. I've been waiting for this ever since I tried Remote Buddy and found it to be very, very laggy.

To those using Alloysoft's Signal, is it responsive? For example, when I was using Remote Buddy, if I did an operation that required drilling down into folders and such, it was just way too slow to use. For example, from playlist view, go to artist view. Choose a letter category of artists, then choose an artist. Then choose an album and then a song. That's maybe 5 operations, and it could easily take a minute using Remote Buddy.

Oh well, sounds like I won't have to worry about any of that soon. And free, too! Maybe it will sync the .xml file to the iPhone so that library navigation is instant.

Amen.

Remote Buddy is awsome, but sooo slow.

One of the things I was looking forward to in 2.0 was the possibility of a native remote buddy. This is even better.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You are probably right.:) Wishful thinking on my part.:rolleyes: I do wonder how long it takes for the "App. Store Team Pros" (sounds like an Apple name:D) to process each App. and declare it worthy of being included in the store. So maybe more like 5000 Apps within the first 2-3 months is more realistic...

I still think you are being too optimistic. Maybe 500 apps in 2-3 months. I would be shocked if there were 5000 apps in a years time. That is a helluva lot of freaking software, regardless of platform. I still hope you are right though. That would kill the competition dead. I can't wait to fill up it home screens with real apps!! Did it say if iPod Touch users will have to pay for it? I could see them release a free app pack for iPhone and make Touch users pay. Mmmm...app pack sounds tasty! Springboard customizer? I don't like to hack it.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Seriously, I cannot wait for July 11th!

I KNOW!!!!!! THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!!!!!! SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!

(IF YOU COULDN'T TELL)

Now I am going off track but here it goes....

Not to bring this debate and poll back up, but I still can't decide between black and white. I'm gonna go into the ATT store, grab one of each, look at the display model, think about it for an hour:rolleyes: (life or death decision here people!!:eek::D), then buy one. :D:D:p:):cool:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Amen.

Remote Buddy is awsome, but sooo slow.

One of the things I was looking forward to in 2.0 was the possibility of a native remote buddy. This is even better.

Oh, I also hope this let's you view your iSight as well, but it probably won't.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I still think you are being too optimistic. Maybe 500 apps in 2-3 months. I would be shocked if there were 5000 apps in a years time. That is a helluva lot of freaking software, regardless of platform. I still hope you are right though. That would kill the competition dead. I can't wait to fill up it home screens with real apps!! Did it say if iPod Touch users will have to pay for it? I could see them release a free app pack for iPhone and make Touch users pay. Mmmm...app pack sounds tasty! Springboard customizer? I don't like to hack it.

I'd be so happy if I was right too. :) Then there would be no more idiotic "iPhone Killer" :p articles about LG and Samsung phones. The UI + all of the customizable options + App Store software + All the other AMAZING features :cool: would make the iPhone the most appealing phone on the market.(even though it basically already is) :D:D

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
I KNOW!!!!!! THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!!!!!! SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!

(IF YOU COULDN'T TELL)

Now I am going off track but here it goes....

Not to bring this debate and poll back up, but I still can't decide between black and white. I'm gonna go into the ATT store, grab one of each, look at the display model, think about it for an hour:rolleyes: (life or death decision here people!!:eek::D), then buy one. :D:D:p:):cool:

Easy answer... buy 2 of each!

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Perhaps this is why Mr. Salling has been so quiet about the future of Clicker as it relates to the iPhone?

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, check it out. Awesome app.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Screw those Harmony remotes! I just wish this could somehow integrate with my TV. Could they do something with the Apple TV with an HDMI cable that would be able to pass along your commands to the TV?

I mean how awesome would it be if the iPhone became the ultimate remote also! Though it might be a little hard to change the channel when you are on the phone with tech support for one of your cheap chinese electronics...

iPhone, Phone, MP3, GPS, Internet, E-Mail, Palm, Camera, Calculator, Note Pad, Games, Stop Watch, Weather Man, Remote, Mirror... ect. ect.

I think I am going to need to buy a second because I can do only one of these at once unless you count music as multitasking! :p

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Perhaps this is why Mr. Salling has been so quiet about the future of Clicker as it relates to the iPhone?

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, check it out. Awesome app.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a possible Clicker for iPhone. On the Salling website it has a note under iPhone: "Apple iPhone currently does not support 3rd-party applications."

The use of "currently" would lead me to believe that they'll be releasing an iPhone version once 2.0 is released (or once they're accepted into the dev program if they aren't one of the lucky 4000)

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I can second that one.

3rd.

Both of which, by the way, have had available remote possibilities via the iPhone for months. (nearly as long as the iPhone has been available)

I wish I could be excited about this. Maybe a video recorder or a camera with options will be next!? :rolleyes:

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a possible Clicker for iPhone. On the Salling website it has a note under iPhone: "Apple iPhone currently does not support 3rd-party applications."

The use of "currently" would lead me to believe that they'll be releasing an iPhone version once 2.0 is released (or once they're accepted into the dev program if they aren't one of the lucky 4000)

He's been very neutral about it in his forum, saying that the NDA prevented any comments on his part. He had previously said that if Apple went with a revenue-sharing model he would be less likely to participate, but that was quite a while ago.

I'm not dismissing Clicker on the iPhone, but rather wondering just which NDA Jonas was talking about.

Clicker is just such a great app. I've been using it for year for everything from iTunes to presentations.

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Airport Express + iPhone Remote = Perfect !!!!

i can remote my room macbook pro to play music in my kitchen !!!!!!

great news

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Screw those Harmony remotes! I just wish this could somehow integrate with my TV. Could they do something with the Apple TV with an HDMI cable that would be able to pass along your commands to the TV?

No, that won't work. Ever owned a Harmony? They're great. Except for the touch-screen model. A good remote has a tactile feel, so that you don't have to be looking at it to use it.

Perhaps that's just me, though. I'm picky about my HT experience. I'm not what you'd call a hobbyist, but I am a very well-equipped enthusiast. A 92" screen seems normal to me now.

I'll be very happy to control things video my iPhone, provided that it's not dumbed down to the Apple Remote level.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think it would be really neat if this ends up being an extension of the iPod app, with a new section added which would browse whatever computer you set up's iTunes database and control it with standard buttons, making it seamless. I also hope for wireless syncing with options on the iPhone to select which types to sync, etc just like in iTunes. Maybe mobileMe will do this somehow. I would probably listen to more podcasts if this were possible. It would also be neat if when finishing a tv episode, you could set it up to remove it and replace it with the next episode whenever you're in range of your wifi network. That would be great since the iPhone had a lower capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.