Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
5 stories of Mac heaven. Drool......

Now Apple has to get some open in Canada, and especially Europe. Even if they are just token Stores, like only one or two in each country. Apple gets a lot of its sales from overseas, they should allow them to have their own stores too!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i always find it funny how some people likes to compare stock price movements with annoucements. :confused:

the annoucement of japan's apple store is nothing new to stock analysts. just because apple annouces something positive(negative) doesn't mean its stock price should go up(down). stock market and share prices reflect a very complex web of information with a lot of people trying to outdo each other in order to make money. any new piece of information is reflected in the market within seconds. apple's share price is not linearly correlated to any one piece of information.

i imagine the health of the semiconductor or other computer hardware supply industry and tech industry's spending trends will have far, far greater impact on apple's stock price than the ginza apple store opening or, for that matter, "success" of iTMS.

anyway, when i was in japan in mid-Sept., i didn't know that the store hadn't opened yet. i went to ginza looking around but learned that it's not open yet at... the sony store, of all places. the sony store was very cool, a lot of gadgets and i'm sure the apple store will be even better. can't wait for the next time i go back...

though availability of apple was far better in japan than in states. i found some form of mac being sold in practically every electronics store.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by jxyama
i always find it funny how some people likes to compare stock price movements with annoucements. :confused:

Hmm. so there is no connection whatsoever? Today:

However, Novell (NOVL) sprinted to a huge early gain, rising $2.36 a share, or 39 percent, to $8.43 after the software company said it received a $50 million investment from IBM (IBM) in which Big Blue will acquire Novell preferred convertible stock.

So it´s totally unconnected and confusing that in the same announcement IBM lost a few cents.

Some responses and adjustments to prices take milliseconds, of course they do, but over the last few months there are far more day, week and month-long adjustments in the market than instant surges up and down. There is a battle of minds going on about Apple. On the one hand they are going places, on the other they are walking a tightrope taking a big chance with so much innovation. Any announcement of progress has got the doubters selling, the supporters are buying, and those undecided who are gradually seeing prospects for Apple are looking for leverage to get stocks a little cheaper than the price right now. So, yes, I think the announcement is the key to prompting what follows.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i was merely pointing out the fact it's rather silly that many people think it's illogical or funny when apple stock price responds in opposition to any good or bad news of apple. as you pointed out, there are many market forces affecting any stock price and to try to derive something profound about the announcements or markets or the state of apple from its share price movement is rather silly.

that's all. mind you, of course there are announcements that "matter." but i happen to think ginza apple store annoucement (as do many other type of announcements) has trivial effect on the apple share price. heck, warren buffet saying something optimistic about the computing industry will have far, far greater effect on the apple share price and he won't even have to mention apple.

by the time one announcement is made, analysts are moving over to other news. just because one announcement is made and stock price moves certain direction doesn't mean it was the result of that announcement.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by jxyama
i was merely pointing out the fact it's rather silly that many people think it's illogical or funny when apple stock price responds in opposition to any good or bad news of apple. as you pointed out, there are many market forces affecting any stock price and to try to derive something profound about the announcements or markets or the state of apple from its share price movement is rather silly.

that's all. mind you, of course there are announcements that "matter." but i happen to think ginza apple store annoucement (as do many other type of announcements) has trivial effect on the apple share price. heck, warren buffet saying something optimistic about the computing industry will have far, far greater effect on the apple share price and he won't even have to mention apple.

by the time one announcement is made, analysts are moving over to other news. just because one announcement is made and stock price moves certain direction doesn't mean it was the result of that announcement.

Very true. Its a fickle world out there.

On another note, the store has 4 floors for sales purposes and a 5th floor for events. It would be interesting to see the demos they have lined up made available online. Here in the UK I can only imagine what a good demo looks like.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i really hope that UK and/or Canada to get their own Apple stores in the near future. i'd say London and Toronto are just as "worthy" of an Apple store as any other town in the U.S...

Heck, I am close to Detroit - with less than one million residents in the metro area - has access to two Apple stores. dunno what that's about...

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by krimson
website says 4 floors...
but if it's the corner bldg, it's not that much space, but a very good location. good access, easy to find...

Remember this is 4 floors in JAPAN, where space is much smaller than in the U.S. I've been to a number of Mac places in Tokyo that were 3-4 floors but were really cramped and it was like walking around in a crowded subway.

On the other hand, it's opening on the Ginza (not cheap at all) and Apple's got bucks, so it may be huge after all :)

here's hoping :D

jxyama : which stores did you go to? Where I live, there are only a hand-full of places selling Mac products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.