Apple to Partner with O2 for iPhone UK? Orange in France?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by needthephone, Jul 4, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors member

O2 secure rights for UK iPhone

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2028678.ece

O2 has beaten its rivals to win the exclusive UK rights to offer Apple’s iPhone.

The tie-up, the mobile phone industry’s most sought-after deal in years, is expected to be announced shortly and marks a major coup for the 18 million-customer group.

The phone, which should be on sale in time for Christmas, is expected to prove a key weapon in enabling O2 to win and retain customers in one of Europe’s fiercest mobile markets.

It is understood that negotiations are continuing with mobile phone retailers including Carphone Warehouse over an agreement to sell the iPhone in their stores after a period of exclusivity with O2.

3. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Brilliant, i am an 02 premium customer after some hefty bills. Will be time i used this to my advantage. Last upgrade i got a free W950 (this was last October) so should be able to get a good free phone and sell it in order to pay for the iPhone.

4. macrumors 6502

Leemo

Hmm - I was hoping this would happen, working for o2 I have my lovely £20 staff tariff... (strokes BlackBerry...!).

o2 means no EDGE though - and I hope to god they don't consider it just running on GPRS, that would be awful. Plus o2 need to sort their data tariffs out - I'm sick of offering customers '£10 for 20mb' as a 'good deal' when I know T-Mobile are a few shops down offering unlimited for £7.50!

No doubt though - if this news is true they'll amend the pricing.

-Leemo

5. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Oooh...and my contract runs out in October. Which means I'm due for an upgrade...:eek:

6. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This so called evidnce is a couple of .pngs which can easily be changed in a software update.

Again:

Well these files can easily be altered with a software update so just because it is on there at the moment doesn't necessarily mean that these will be the providers. And if this were indeed the case it means that apple knew the European carriers before the iPhone was released in the states, not really the case.

Snap, although as previously stated doubt we can get the iPhone as an upgrade, although i hope i can wangle it after all over the last year i have spent on average about £80 a month. (This is mainly down to a couple of massive bills)

7. macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Well at least this paints a picture of carriers who are competing for the iPhone, whereas that story a few weeks back said that Apple was the one having trouble finding interested parties. I hope the iPhone will be a worldwide successs. Then the price will go down, and then I can buy one :)

8. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple to Partner with O2 for iPhone UK? Orange in France?

[​IMG]

TimesOnline.co.uk reports that O2 has won rights for exclusive UK rights to the iPhone.

Vodafone is reported to have been "pushing hard" to win the iPhone contract but in the end felt that the commercial terms were not viable.

Timesonline.co.uk suggests that Orange is the front-runner in France.

Finally, FTD.de reports that iPhone will start in only these three countries this Fall: UK, France, and Germany. According to the publication, the European version of iPhone will not support 3G, despite some earlier rumors.

9. macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

thats great news, o2 is one of the better providers imo!!

10. macrumors newbie

Wrong way to go - T-Mobile all the way with their great customer service and web n walk package. Orange, O2, Vodafone are awful when trying to contact.

11. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No 3G AND no edge would be a killer, the internet on my laptop via my Nokia 6230i was crazily slow and that supports EDGE and was on Orange.

It would be near un-usable with just 2G.

12. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Oh yes! I have been waiting for this! o2 is a great network! I have been with Tescos, Virign, Orange and o2 networks, trust me o2 is defiantly the best out of the lot and Orange was the worst!

13. macrumors 6502a

I WAS the one

so...that means that we will never see a unlocked iPhone even on Europe??

14. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Would be interesting to see who get's the contract in Ireland.

We have 4 networks. O2, Vodfone, Meteor & 3

O2 is the most expensive network here, followed closely by Vodafone

3 has by far the best 3G coverage in Ireland and
    Meteor is the cheapest.

15. macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I'm glad we're getting more UK rumors now :D I can't wait for the official word/dates from Apple though!

16. macrumors 6502a

I've never used O2, but our local shopping mall has O2, Orange and Vodafone shops. The Orange and Vodafone shops are always busy, the O2 shop is usually empty and on the few occasions I've been in there the displays have been messy, and the staff unhelpful.

From this, I would consider O2 to be one of the worst choices. Besides - they don't have EDGE, and having to use old fashioned GPRS with the iPhone will be a real blow.

17. macrumors 6502a

fblack

No 3G? Errr...what do they plan to run it on then?

18. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Maybe this means a 3G iPhone for Europe

Also i hope 02 will get the new contract rates such as those which were unveiled by at&t. I would say that the tariffs should start from £25

19. macrumors 6502a

3 just piggyback off vodafone's 3G.

20. macrumors 6502

Boy I hate this exclusiveness. Why not just offer the phone on all networks? Visual voice mail can't be the only reason.

21. macrumors Core

Dagless

If o2 doesn't provide an unlimited data option they can go and run. Sorry Apple :eek:

22. macrumors 68040

XIII

Realistically if its O2 it has to be on 3G. It can't be on GPRS. For this to work, O2 will have to do some serious changing to their data plans - but if Apple has agreed to use O2, I'm sure they have convinced them they can do so.

23. macrumors newbie

I really can't see an iphone being released here in the UK without 3G, even if it's without the front-facing camera!

(Would still have to buy it though - i've been waiting over a year!)

24. macrumors regular

J Radical

25. macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I find it difficult to accept that it would be on O2 in the UK but Orange in France. It would make far more sense for the same provider to cover as many countries as possible.

Still, the Times must have a good source to come up with this, so we'll see what happens.