Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Sick. What OS 3.0 has in store will determine whether I stick with my iPhone or switch to a BlackBerry.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Just a preview on the 17th. To be honest I wish Apple would wait until the actual release of the firmware to reveal all of the secrets of what's to come. This is unlike Apple.:rolleyes:

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Awesome! Although its not coming out the 17th

"Apparently, we'll get a sneak peak at the new OS, as well as a look at a brand new version of the SDK.". Great news nonetheless!

Even better, March 17 is my birthday :D

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Can't wait !!! Getting my new 24" iMac tomorrow and now this!!!!
I wonder when it's being released!!

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Good point. maybe my eyes need to be checked.

So 3/17 is just an announcement?

Yes, here is an update from Engadget:

"Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality, and users won't have too much of a wait after that for the real deal."

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
WOAH! This came out of nowhere! It's too bad we won't be getting anything March 17th though. :( They'll probably announce a bunch of stuff, not get it to work, then delay the release by 5 months or so. I just hope they don't wait until June to release it like they did with 2.0. That would suck. I'm tired of waiting for June for everything.

Also, cue all the Apple Rumor blogs... NOW! Any second now, every Mac Blog on the net will be posting this story.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
WOAH! This came out of nowhere! It's too bad we won't be getting anything March 17th though. :( They'll probably announce a bunch of stuff, not get it to work, then delay the release by 5 months or so. I just hope they don't wait until June to release it like they did with 2.0. That would suck. I'm tired of waiting for June for everything.

Also, cue all the Apple Rumor blogs... NOW! Any second now, every Mac Blog on the net will be posting this story.

Yeah! It's pretty stressing giving us a preview 3 months before release but hey, at least we know its coming:p

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Somebody explain what 3.0 would or could do for the iphone.

Its an piece of software .... it could add any amount of functionality to the device

Search around and you'll find a large number of wish-lists for new functionality

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah! It's pretty stressing giving us a preview 3 months before release but hey, at least we know its coming:p

Or at least we'll know what we'll get eventually. I'm still waiting for the promised push from last September. I'm almost a quarter of the way through my contract and my iPhone isn't living up to the expectation that Apple brought on with it's push theory.

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Smart move! A necessary move really. They are doing a preview and giving out the SDK now so devs will have time to show off some apps for June's WWDC.

Everyone cross their fingers for multitasking!
And yes............cut & paste.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple to Preview iPhone OS 3.0 on March 17th

Engadget is reporting that Apple will be hosting a media event on Tuesday, March 17th to demonstrate the iPhone OS 3.0, the next major upgrade to the iPhone operating system. Apple will reportedly also provide details on a new iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) to aid developers in creating applications for the new operating system.
Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality (hey, how about some push notifications?), and presumably users won't have too many months to wait after that for the real deal.
Apple previously hosted a media event in March 2008 to provide a "roadmap" for iPhone developers, and it appears that this upcoming event may follow a similar theme.

Article Link: Apple to Preview iPhone OS 3.0 on March 17th

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
One improvement:

Cut & Paste

And everyone will be happy.

Yeah right. You can't make everyone happy no matter what they add to the iPhone. They could add EVERYTHING that EVERYBODY wants, and then there would be people complaining that the iPhone does TOO much.

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
Yeah right. You can't make everyone happy no matter what they add to the iPhone. They could add EVERYTHING that EVERYBODY wants, and then there would be people complaining that the iPhone does TOO much.

So true. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.