Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today expanded its presence on social networking site Twitter, creating a new Twitter account dedicated to sharing App Store games. According to the account bio, which features the tagline, "Embrace the future of gaming," it's run by Apple's team of Games Editors.

app_store_games_twitter.jpg

Apple has long had an App Store Twitter account that frequently shares new and popular games, but it also shares standard apps, creating a feed that's somewhat unfocused. Apple appears to have made the decision to distinguish and promote games separately from non-gaming apps going forward, in an effort to streamline each account and give both games and regular apps more attention.

Games have been a cornerstone of the App Store since it first launched, and Apple makes an effort to highlight different game compilations and editor's picks on a weekly basis, in addition to offering frequent sales and detailed gaming categories.

Tap. Tap. Hello, world. pic.twitter.com/zp9yT0PLpF - App Store Games (@AppStoreGames) September 3, 2015

It is not clear why Apple has chosen today to create a new Twitter account for gaming as gaming on iOS has been highly popular for several years, but it could be related to the fact that the App Store is set to expand to a new device in the very near future, the Apple TV. Launching next week, the new Apple TV will include a full App Store and a motion-enabled remote control able to be used for gaming purposes.

Thus far, the App Store Games account has only tweeted once, but following a retweet from the main App Store account, it's already at more than a thousand followers in just a half hour.

Update: The Verge spoke to Apple about the new App Store Games account and got some details on how it will be used. App Store editors will share sneak previews of games, tips and tricks, and profiles of talented gamers. The account will also let App Store editors interact with game developers, and it's "part of a broader push into gaming."

Article Link: Apple to Promote iOS Games With New Dedicated Twitter Account

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I wish apple would get blue seals of approval on their company and exec Twitter accounts. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it is official.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
This is random, and not related, but does anyone else think that the 'hint' at the Sept 9 event will be the iPad Pro which is coming in October?

'iPad Air Plus' perhaps? :p

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Just to pre-populate the comments for the typical whiners out there:
  • Aha! This must mean game sales are tanking for Apple.
  • Desperate Apple - they'll be bankrupt in a few months!
  • No one plays games on phones.
  • Apple just wants you to buy moar(!) games from their stupid app store. Dumb! I'd rather pirate games and apps.
  • Steve Jobs would never tweet about games!
  • None of these stupid phone games compare to those on my (insert console or PC here). Lame! Besides, I don't get phone reception in my mom's basement.
  • Etc. etc. etc.

Oh, I almost forgot:
  • Fire Tim Cook!!!

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It just occurred to me that if Apple is revealing a new ATV with a focus on games, Apple has probably already invited major game devs to port or make new titles for it, so that they have something to show alongside the reveal on September 9th.

We should start harassing game devs to find out what they know. Epic, definitely. Maybe also Rovio and whoever it is that makes Clash of Clans.

I know Apple mentioned Blizzard was a partner with Metal, but I don't think Blizzard has ever once been invited to an Apple event... still, this could be the first time? Overwatch, Diablo 3, or WoW for Apple TV (can't imagine them bringing an RTS game to a console.)

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
It just occurred to me that if Apple is revealing a new ATV with a focus on games, Apple has probably already invited major game devs to port or make new titles for it, so that they have something to show alongside the reveal on September 9th.

We should start harassing game devs to find out what they know. Epic, definitely. Maybe also Rovio and whoever it is that makes Clash of Clans.

If any of these game developers have even a hint that they might be stage on Sept 9 to talk about their games, do you really think they're going to tell you ANYTHING just because you and your friends start "harassing" them on MR forums and twitter?

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
If any of these game developers have even a hint that they might be stage on Sept 9 to talk about their games, do you really think they're going to tell you ANYTHING just because you and your friends start "harassing" them on MR forums and twitter?
OP is most likely joking, calm down with the bold font

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
A greater push into gaming, because being able to play games that become unsupported is nothing that should be possible.
Hooray for having to sign a firmware update with no way back.
Hooray for games crashing on launch because they are too old.

A greater push into gaming, good for those who only play current games at any time.

Glassed Silver:mac

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
That at least goes well with my none 4K TV :) ... but sucks for those that do.
I just saw today very nice sets from Samsung at Walmart 60" ~$1,300 and a 48" for ~$800, their prices are coming down...:D Maybe I'll get one if there is enough content soon via the new Apple TV...

And very funny though that there was a salesman from DirectTV offering their service claiming to have all channels in 4K:rolleyes: yeah right

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008

Or, I don't know, maybe WAIT just a few days to get the official announcement?? It's really not that long now. And we all pretty much already know what's coming at this point. We will certainly be playing games on Apple TV in less than a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.