Apple to Provide Adapter for Smaller iPhone Dock Connector

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Reuters becoming the latest publication to report that the next iPhone will include a smaller dock connector, many are continuing to wonder what will happen with legacy accessories that take advantage of the current 30-pin dock connector that has been in use since 2003.

[​IMG]

Casings for iPhone 4S (left) and claimed next-generation iPhone (right) showing significant reduction in dock connector size
    iMore, which was first to report on the smaller dock connector back in February, has now confirmed with its sources that Apple will indeed be offering an adapter to provide backwards compatibility with accessories designed for the 30-pin connector.
    The report notes that some accessories may not be compatible with the adapter given their fit, but many accessories will continue to work using the forthcoming adapter.

While Apple is generally not afraid to abandon legacy standards in order to make changes advancing new standards or designs, the company has sometimes offered adapters to help ease the transitions. Perhaps the latest example is Apple's new MagSafe 2 power connector found on the new MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro. Apple offers a separate adapter priced at $9.99 to allow users to use older MagSafe power supplies with the new machines. The company is also including a free adapter with the Apple Thunderbolt Display, which still uses the original MagSafe connector for providing power to portable machines.

Article Link: Apple to Provide Adapter for Smaller iPhone Dock Connector

2. macrumors 68000

Course they will, it will be sold separately I bet as Apple loves those costly adapters.

3. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

Honestly, how on Earth is this front-page news?

4. macrumors 6502a

they had one for magsafe, why not this? ill wait for some generic ones on ebay for $.50 though lol.

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Based on the all the complaint posts in the thread about the new dock connector, I’d say this news is just a little cheese to go with all that whine...

:)

7. macrumors 65816

east85

Adapters are usually pretty ugly and the antithesis of simplicity.

Still, I guess it's good that they're providing one for consumption.

8. macrumors 68020

Gix1k

Wasn't there another thread on this earlier??

9. macrumors 6502

While this is a given I'd like to point out that the major difference between this and the MagSafe 2 adapter would have to be the fact that this adapter will have to carry data as well as power. Just a small obstacle that will probably result in a higher cost than the MagSafe adapter.

10. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yep. For $29.99. They will cost Apple less than 1.00 a piece to make them. It will be nearly pure easy profit for them.

As what will not work. My guess is anything that has to do with Video (unless it is HDMI out) because those would be the 11 pins I am guess they are removing.

11. macrumors 6502a

12. Rocketman, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

macrumors 603

Rocketman

If Apple made some sort of converter dev kit the many devices with varying interfaces could form converter co-ops and best practices more easily. It would be very eco-friendly and keep a bunch of stuff out of landfills. Little thing big impact.

And, no, changing the micro-device plug standard after 10 years is not objectionable.

Rocketman

13. macrumors member

radge

Let the "It's not the iPhone 5!" comments begin...

14. macrumors 603

Technarchy

15. Cryptan, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

macrumors newbie

Wider Phone

Has anyone pointed out that the alleged new iPhone in that photo looks to be wider than the iPhone 4S?

Edit: Never mind. I see what is going on in the photo now.

16. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Some people own 300$+ speaker docks and it's good to know you'll still be able to actually dock your iPhone in them.

17. macrumors 6502a

New dock connector will be magsafe, people. They wouldn't change the design otherwise.

18. macrumors 6502

Speaking of MagSafe..... I would love a MagSafe connection on the iPhone. Not much of a chance of that happening, though.

19. macrumors 68000

doelcm82

For $29.99? I say that's very unlikely, since Apple sold its MagSafe adapter for ten bucks.

20. macrumors 68020

It' not. Just the illusion from the angle in the photo

----------

Apple's pricing is $19.99

21. macrumors member

stanton

Last time I remember them making an adapter was for the EU standards, microUSB. (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD099ZM/A) I really wish that they would just switch to it fully without having any adapters at all.

22. macrumors member

If they can afford a $300 + speaker they can afford a $20 adaptor.

23. macrumors regular

i guess i was the only one, but i always knew that if they were to shrink the connector that there would be an accessory made to convert it.

i always shook my head at anyone who thought otherwise.. i mean, it's an easy way for apple to make money + keep customers happy while making a slow transition to the new connector.

24. macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

This is very true. I've bought 3rd party USB to iPod Shuffle connectors (the little 3 inch ones) from ebay that were like $1-$2. (Apple sells replacements for $20, although there are 2 in the box.) Everyone one of the connectors I purchased for cheap on ebay eventually crapped out on me. It would charge the iPod Shuffle, but wouldn't sync music (data) from iTunes when connected to my Mac.

25. macrumors member

Wait wait - i remember one side of the iPad Mini mockups locking exactly like this, but people claimed "it's not a smaller dock connector, it's a Kensington lock". So it's a smaller dock connector after all, and suddenly the iPad Mini seems even more legit.