Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
From CBC.ca last night:

"Apple is pleased that the Supreme Court of Canada let stand a lower court ruling that blank media levies on iPods are invalid, and will shortly announce a claims process so consumers can request a refund for the levies they paid," the company said in a release.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/08/08/Arts/levy050808.html

I'm curious: Does that mean that the Canadian Private Copying Collective (responsible for collect this money) has to pay it back to Apple as well, or will Apple refund it as some sort of $15-25 discount to be used on future apple purchases and use the pay-back as some sort of marketing opportunity?

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I figure more the second option for sure. I do think it would be awful nice of them to pay back money when they don't really have to, even if it is such a small amount.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
It used to be that as a Canadian consumer you had to pay an extra $15 or $20 on an iPod because it was presumed that you would be using it for pirated music and that money would supposedly go to artists. But the Canadian Private Copying Collective just collected and collected money and all of their supposed overheads (this included many paid vacations) didn't allow them to give any money to any artists. It is sad because our government is filled with these bogus Agencies which basically are just there to siphon off tax payers dollars.

My bet is that the government will be taking tax payers dollars and refunding them to everyone who bought an ipod during the levy period.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Did any of you guys actually receive your money? It's been 3 months already and I haven't gotten anything :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.