Apple to Reportedly Release 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 This Fall, 5.5-Inch Version Delayed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 31, 2014.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is set to begin mass production of the 4.7-inch display to be used in the iPhone 6 this May in preparation for the device's general release this fall, according to a new report from Reuters.

Citing supply chain sources, the report also states that the much rumored 5.5-inch version of the iPhone could be delayed due to difficulties with in-cell production technology, and is likely to commence several months after the initial production of the 4.7-inch displays.
    A report last week from Japanese business newspaper Nikkei stated that the iPhone 6 could launch "as early as September", and will be offered in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display sizes. This contrasted a claim from UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, who also said that the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 might be the only model to launch later this year, with a timeframe for the larger 5.5-inch version unclear.

In addition to a larger display, Apple's next-generation iPhone will likely feature a durable, sapphire screen, and a thinner, bezel-free design in addition to expected camera and processor upgrades.

Article Link: Apple to Reportedly Release 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 This Fall, 5.5-Inch Version Delayed

2. DFZD, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

DFZD
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

3. unobtainium
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Can't wait to see what this will actually look like. So far the renderings have all been incredibly boring.

4. BigBeast
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Alright Apple- time to dig deep and implement the proper workaround so that the 5.5" model can be released alongside its smaller sibling.

5. saintforlife
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I don't buy the stuff into the production issues at all on the larger model. This is typical Apple. With the 4.7" they catch the first wave of early adopters that want a larger screen. Then a few months later, they release the 5.5" version for another bump in sales. Anybody remember the 'white' iPhone 4S?

6. ThunderSkunk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Yeaaa it's going to be delayed, along with the full-size iPad, the TV, the Watch, OSX, Pro Apps, and everything else that'd be worth talking about.

Delayed til Google & Samsung come out with it all first.

7. yinz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Now with the home button and the finger print sensor, I feel like the size of the bezel can't really get that much smaller.

I can't wait to see what Apple will do with the design! I'd probably buy a 4.7" iPhone!

8. BigBeast
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

It's not like this information is coming from Apple. It's likely that the information (if truthful) is coming from inside the supply chain- from people that have no need to leak false information in an effort to pad Apple's pockets. And btw, it's not "typical Apple."

9. kristoffer4
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I actually think this is a better size. 5,5" would bring it too close to the ipad mini.

10. Ann P
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

Man, looks like this 4.7" screen is really happening. I know I'm in the minority but the current form factor is perfect.

11. lolkthxbai
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

I was actually thinking the same thing. I also was reading about the concept of having a sapphire screen on the iPhone 6; it suggested it was a sign that touch id would be integrated into the display. If this is true then it'd be great of the home button didn't exist anymore.

12. Serban
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

13. Pakaku
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Pakaku

I sort of liked how a certain sketchy picture looked like they chopped off the back of a 3G in the name of all things thin.

14. east85
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

east85

Probably won't buy one but I'm pretty happy about Apple running these two additional sizes soon. :apple:

MacRumors doesn't participate in April Fools.

15. Serban
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

an 4.7" iPhone 6 would be nice BUT only bezel free and more compact than last year Htc One

16. mirageboss
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors demi-god

mirageboss

April Fools guys! Got ya!

Just kidding, I honestly cannot wait for the iPhone 6 to come out! I've been on edge with my iPhone 5, waiting for launch day, as September / October my current contract with my phone provider expires, so I am due for an upgrade then! :D

17. JerryCards
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

JerryCards

Apple used to be very good at keep secret. However, for now, it seems 4.7 inch iPhone 6 is certain (It has been confirmed may be around 100 times). Still, I will buy one when it comes out.

18. QCassidy352
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think 4.7" is a better size too, but not for that reason. The difference between this vaporware phone and the mini would still be greater than the difference between the mini and a full size iPad.

19. alohamade
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

alohamade

Well, that's not entirely true. :D

20. east85
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

east85

21. MacFather
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

22. mabaker
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

mabaker

23. the8thark
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

the8thark

It is rumoured by MacRumors that the rumoured Apple larger phone that is rumoured to be in production, is now rumoured to be delayed even though it's very existence is only a rumour.

24. SchneiderMan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I'm good with that. 5.5-inches is not a practical form factor I believe - not that Apple will ever make a 5.5-inch iPhone. Come on..

25. ScottishDuck
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck