Apple to Require 'Made for iPhone' Program Accessory Manufacturers to Meet Supplier Responsibility Code

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As we noted several weeks ago, Apple scheduled a meeting with members of its Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad (MFi) program for November 7-8 in Shenzhen, China to brief them on the latest developments with the new Lightning connector standard. With Apple having moved rather slowly to bring accessory manufacturers up to speed, Lightning-equipped accessories have been slow to appear and it was not until this week that the first official Lightning products were even announced.

[​IMG]
    TUAW now reports on a few details that have leaked out of the meeting, including the fact that the Lightning connector is waterproof and that all MFi accessory manufacturers must agree to abide by Apple's supplier responsibility code.
    The report notes that details on requirements for adherence to the code and potential penalties are not yet known, and speculates that U.S.-based accessory companies may have an advantage in compliance with stricter controls already in place.

Article Link: Apple to Require 'Made for iPhone' Program Accessory Manufacturers to Meet Supplier Responsibility Code

2. macrumors 6502

Apple only gets bashed by the media

Slim chance of this code of conduct bit making headlines

Or it will get spun as a "closed" system or Apple being control freaks

3. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

It's waterproof? That's pretty cool.

4. macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Good for them for trying to make things better.

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors member

Yeah that is cool. I've killed two 30-pin cables in my car by accidentally dropping cable in cup holder..

7. macrumors 6502

Mac Fly (film)

But… but… Apple is evil?

8. macrumors 6502

If they are going to charge massive amounts for lightning accessories, they might as well put in a requirement that products must be made in the US. OSHA would take care of the rest, employees would be getting a decent wage, and our economy wouldn't suck as much.

9. macrumors newbie

This is really good news.

10. macrumors G5

nagromme

This is about third-party accessories, not Apple’s own.

(And not ALL accessories—just ones that one the Made for iPhone logo as a stamp of approval from Apple.)

11. macrumors newbie

I have hoped that a company like Apple would bring manufacturing jobs back to the United States for a long time, but it gets complicated. First, even if Apple built stuff here, it wouldn't keep third parties in China from making them and flooding the market here. And we as a population, would probably buy them anyway because they'd inevitably be inexpensive (also, probably cheap).

Second, it's more than wages and available jobs that make it worth building something stateside (though, that's a big part of it). Supply chains of raw materials and component are lacking here--and it's not very cost efficient to ship two very closely related parts across the country to assembly a combined part and/or product.

That said... Apple has the capital. With the right opportunity, they no doubt could make it happen...

12. macrumors 68040

tigres

I always need my phone to charge underwater.

13. macrumors regular

My god, they're becoming the new Microsoft!

14. macrumors 603

apolloa

It would be nice if Apple was actually capable of ensuring it's OWN devices are capable of meeting a manufacturing responsibility code! Hypocritical much Apple???

15. macrumors 68000

Here is what apple was thinking

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

16. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I will never understand why Apple is trying to solve China's problems when they could just move production to America and help solve our own problems here.

Oh right, they like money.

17. macrumors 65816

Apple just needs to get this third-party stuff ironed out as quickly as possible. It's nearly two months after the iPhone 5's release; and having no legit (not cheap Chinese knock-off) "Made for iPhone 5" accessories available from third parties is a joke.

18. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

Okay.

My USB / 30 pin cable went through the wash and still worked :confused:

So who cares if Thunder is "waterproof". My phone isn't, so is this a big deal or am I missing something?

19. macrumors regular

As a stockholder I think that IS a good use of money I invested.

20. macrumors 68000

By making it _harder_ for companies to make compliant products? I would say its more about raising the bar of quality and economic benefit. Sure, more costly at the consumer end, but more requirements filters out some of the junky products that fill store shelves. That can't be a bad thing.

21. macrumors member

Sadly, I'm pretty sure you are right! This will get spun somehow by media and the haters as Apple forcing others to do what they want! :mad:

22. macrumors 68000

Waterproof also means that moisture (and sweat?) won't collect inside the part and slowly degrade its performance over time. It also means that accidental electrical shorts are minimized.

23. macrumors member

If you ever read anything but headlines you would know that the Apple pays more for their manufacturer's employees than the other companies.

----------

It's more than that as well. If you've read the articles on the Tech Summit Obama had which included Jobs it's about technical level education and amount of employees needed. In China, you can have a workforce of 30,000 with a vocational school education in less that 2 weeks. That is impossible anywhere in the US. It is possible overall but not in one area.

24. macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

That's right. How dare a business like money? They should just close and give all of their money to charity; that would certainly help the United States, right?

25. macrumors 6502a

melendezest

Hahaha..Hmm, wouldn't be the only time I've danced with the Devil...:D

----------

Sorry, I'd love to see that, but we need to let that notion go.

Not going to happen. Economics 101.