Apple to Revamp Software Update?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

ThinkSecret revives rumors that Apple will open up software update to certain developers to allow 3rd party software updates to be delivered through Apple's Mac OS X Software Update Control Panel.

The rumor first reported in Jan 2003, but has not made its way into Mac OS X yet.

2. macrumors regular

This would be a welcome upgrade to an otherwise perfect program...

3. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I've been wanting this for a while now. I like running the latest stuff, but don't like constantly checking.

4. macrumors 6502a

macnews

This would be a nice feature on the pro end. I hate having to go to adobe's site and be checking if they fixed the latest Illustrator or Photoshop bug.

5. macrumors regular

nice

I guess we'll have to call it VersionTracker Plus Plus. heh

6. macrumors 65816

7. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

8. cgc
    macrumors 6502a

Or they could call it Software Update Extreme.

9. macrumors regular

bout time

I think we have all been waiting for this.

10. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

haha... right and it will be added to .mac - so you'll have to pay for it. :eek:

11. macrumors 6502a

kuyu

great idea. This further separates pc complexity and mac simplicity.

12. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Well sort of.. You can get some 3rd party driver updates through windows update.

The real gold would be patches, drivers and notification's of newer versions.

13. macrumors 601

stoid

Since Apple has apparently spent hundreds of man hours developing this, it will label every update as 'critical' just like every Windows patch to give the programmers a feeling of accomplishment. :D :D :D

14. macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that this revamp will allow for greater access and improved software for all of us. They could call it iUpdate.

15. macrumors regular

It will be funny to see "Software Update" appear as an update in the current version of it.:D

16. macrumors member

I don't know, call me ignorant (which as a criminology major, I could easily be concerning computing issues), but would releasing access to Software Update be an easy way for any kind of attack on a system, pretend you're an update to Chess or something and then all of a sudden WHAM! kernel panics galore? I imagine Software Update gets root level access to install stuff once you give it your password. Makes me feel warm and cozy knowing Apple is the only one I'm gonna hear from in there...

NO!! Even worse!! People spamming my Software Update offering cute little apps that put dancing girls on my desktop... <shudder>

Then again, maybe I don't know what the crap I'm talking about, it's been known to happen before...

17. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You could have a point. I suppose it would only be available to licensed developers, maybe even just Adobe to begin with.

18. macrumors member

All the same, I don't know that I trust anybody but Apple with it, I'd have to watch my back... some crazy cracked-out windozehead decides he wants to drag OS X down into the pit along with them...

19. macrumors regular

I imagine that this is something that will be carefully monitored by Apple. I'm sure they would never allow something like this to happen. I agree with johnnyjibbs in that only licensed developers would be allowed access, the rumor even hints at this.

20. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

And there would hopefully be a way that the user could choose which vendor they would like updates from. Plus, you would certainly still be able to choose which updates to download and which to ignore.

21. macrumors 68020

Allowing the next batch of Mac users to call "Software Update" spyware. That's what happened to the Windows updating program. Anything that phones home is considered spyware it seems, even if it is for a reasonable cause.

As long as the downloads and updating stay reliable, I'm not going to say anything.

22. macrumors member

Oh I'm sure Apple will monitor it closely, don't get me wrong, but all the same it gives me the creeps...

23. macrumors 6502a

robotrenegade

That's sounds awesome!!! I hope Adobe and macromedia jump on the wagon.:D

24. macrumors 6502

Microsoft recently updated Windows Update and marged functionality with Windows Bug Reporter.

For example, when Developer Studio crashed while working on an HTML page last week, I submitted the bug like normal thru the popup dialog. Instead of just saying thank you for reporting the bug, it said Microsoft had released a fix to the problem, and let me click directly into Windows Update to download the Internet Explorer fix.

It would be awsome to see Apple utilize the same technique, allowing you to report bugs, and then be told that hey, the bug which caused this crash has been fixed, don't be lazy, go install the update.

25. macrumors regular

A roll-back option (which XP already supports) would be nice. If an update screws something up (like when people had problems with 10.2.8), being able to roll-back to a previous point is important.

Another configurable feature I would like to see is being able to specify how long an update has been out before my system downloads the update. For example, I would like to wait a week before upgrading, letting other people take the early risks.