Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, which both come without a headphone jack. To make up for the lack of a headphone jack, the iPhones will be shipped with a Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter and EarPods that feature a Lightning connector.

Apple also plans to sell its Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter and its new Lightning EarPods on a standalone basis for iPhone 7 buyers who want extra accessories.

lightningadapter.jpg

The Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter is priced at $9 and while it can't be purchased yet, it will presumably go on sale alongside the iPhone 7.

The EarPods with Lightning Connector are priced at $29, the same price as the EarPods with a 3.5mm Headphone Plug. The Lightning EarPods are also unavailable for purchase at the current time, but should be available alongside the iPhone 7.

lightningearpods.jpg

Apple today also announced wireless Bluetooth earbuds called AirPods, which will be sold on a standalone basis starting in October. AirPods will be priced at $159.

Apple plans to begin accepting pre-orders for the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus on Friday, September 9. The two devices will officially launch a week later, on Friday, September 16.

Article Link: Apple to Sell Standalone Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for $9, Lightning EarPods for $29

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Argh! No Y-adaptor so I can charge and listen at the same time?!?

So on a road trip in the car, without bluetooth, I can listen or charge.
Keep in mind the phone is my GPS and also draining power that way too.

How about a nice Appel wireless audio to 3.5 adaptor for the car (with microphone)???
That would all be pretty nice. Unfortunately it seems that wireless is basically their "solution"/workaround for all of that.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
if i had an iphone 7, i'd rather want the 'reverse' asapter, so i can use the lightning earpods also on my mac. am i insane?

that's basically what i connect my earpods to all the time.
bigger headphones either go to the home hi-fi or in rare case to the laptop.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Not bad. I think wireless earbuds are better just because I don't have to deal with wired earphones..it gets in a way during running.

Reactions: 44267547

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I will say, $9 is incredibly decent. And a smart move. The need people to be ok with the idea of no 3.5 more than they need extra adapter money.

Reactions: Ghost31

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

How about a nice Appel wireless audio to 3.5 adaptor for the car (with microphone)???

There are many docks and holders that allow for charging and include a 3.5 aux out.

Reactions: iLLUMI

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What about controls?

They mentioned something about the new AirPods being able to respond to taps on the headphones themselves... will the Lightning EarPods have this too? Or do they have the same old in-wire controller? Or is the controller just a thing of the past now?

If I use the headphones that came with the 6, can I use the in-wire controller on them with the adapter?

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
if i had an iphone 7, i'd rather want the 'reverse' asapter, so i can use the lightning earpods also on my mac. am i insane?

that's basically what i connect my earpods to all the time.
bigger headphones either go to the home hi-fi or in rare case to the laptop.
I assume that version has to be coming soon. I don't want separate headphones for each device.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
$9 is a smart price for the adapter. Need to make this transition as painless as possible on the pocket book.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So would we speculate the DAC & AMP in this retail $9 adapter is as good as the one historically in the iPhone? Or the same? Or not as good?

Not complaining about $9- just trying to guess whether music converting a few inches from where it used to be converted will sound better, the same or worse than it did when the internal "high quality" DAC & AMP were in charge of converting digital to analog.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
I assume the Lightning -> 3.5mm adapter works in previous iPhones as well? That way we can get accustomed to the inconvenience of using an adapter before upgrading to the 7. :)

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

It's illegal to use headphones while driving a vehicle.

The Apple desktop charger has a headphone jack so you can charge while headphones are plugged in. There will also be plenty of 3rd party options.

Quit crying. Don't buy it if you're so upset.
[doublepost=1473279956][/doublepost]
$9 is a smart price for the adapter. Need to make this transition as painless as possible on the pocket book.

The adapter is already included with every iPhone 7. You'd only need to spend the extra $9 if you lose your original.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
One simple thing I expect... Being able to charge and listen at the same time... So Apple says "sure, you can dot that. Just buy our new $150 AirPods to free up that single multi-use port that can only have 1 thing plugged in at a time."

Bastards.

Reactions: SBlue1 and milo

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's illegal to use headphones while driving a vehicle.

The Apple desktop charger has a headphone jack so you can charge while headphones are plugged in. There will also be plenty of 3rd party options.

Quit crying. Don't buy it if you're so upset.
[doublepost=1473279956][/doublepost]

The adapter is already included with every iPhone 7. You'd only need to spend the extra $9 if you lose your original.
You can certainly use one earbud in one ear as many have been doing for years (part of the reason why the controls and microphone are typically located on the wire on one side usually).

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.