Apple to stop manufacturing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by excalibur313, Aug 17, 2004.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I was recently told that apple will temporarily stop manufacturing anything. Has anyone heard anything about this and know more information?
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It's news to me. Unless you have a very credible source I wouldn't be inclined to believe it.

3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Well, Apple did stop manufacturing iSights temporarily. But that's about it.

I suspect you're either dealing with someone who's trying to trick you or someone who's grossly misinformed.

4. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

This could actually be true. In fact, my money is that this is fact.

Most major manufacturing facilities shut down for 2 weeks each year to perform maintenance, upgrade equipment, etc.

It's very possible that Apple is having their manufacturer's shut down for maintenance now, so that they will be able to increase production before the holiday shopping season begins. That way, they will have items in stock for holiday shoppers.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple did stop making the current iMac. Maybe that was the seed of the mis-information.

-Lethal

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yup, the Cork plant halts production like this regularly, though I thought it was 1 week per year, but I could easily be wrong.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Quanta and Hon Hai would be two of the main factories.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

True, though since neither of those are Apple plants it's hard to tell how they would be affected by Apple's refresh schedule.

By the way, do Apple still use Alphatop in Taiwan any more? I haven't been able to find any recent news about them and Apple (or have they just changed names?)

11. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Quanta produce Powerbooks and Hon Hai make AirPort Express, I'm sure they each make other Apple products also.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think Quanta announced the new iMac contract awhile ago, but that was towards the beginning of the year before things were delayed.

Hon Hai's Foxconn division makes quite some of the PowerMac stuff, don't know how much -- but they usually have something in all the computers.

13. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Isn't that just mean that Apple won't produce hardware themselves instead contract it out to a third party.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just to clarify (in case anyone thinks from my previous post I was being a smart arse! ;) ): I knew Apple outsources manufacturing to those companies, but I wasn't sure if their maintenance/retooling cycles would have any relationship with Apple's. Especially given that they have demand from other customers too.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

AppleInsider says Hon Hai is putting together the Powermac G5, with the technology for the LCS coming from Delphi.

Of course if Delphi is making the LCS, thats a change from the rest of the cooling system being made by Foxconn/Hon Hai.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=584