Apple to Stream Live Paul McCartney Concert to iTunes and Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today announced that it will be supporting Paul McCartney's new album release with a special free video stream of a live concert on Thursday, February 9 [iTunes Store]. The concert is not only being streamed via iTunes on Mac and PC, but will also be available directly on users' Apple TVs, signaling new efforts by Apple to increase the utility of its set-top box.
    The Paul McCartney promotion is not Apple's first foray into live streaming via iTunes, as the company has for the past several years hosted an annual concert festival in London. Apple has gradually ramped up its coverage of those concerts to include live video streaming through iTunes and even through an App Store app for the 2011 series.

While users could redirect the video from that app to an Apple TV via AirPlay, Apple's addition of the iTunes Live experience directly on the Apple TV itself for this Paul McCartney concert demonstrates how the company can deliver exclusive content to users' televisions and perhaps ultimately an Apple-branded television set in an easily-accessible manner.

Article Link: Apple to Stream Live Paul McCartney Concert to iTunes and Apple TV

2. macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

3. macrumors regular

Spencie

4. macrumors P6

Peace

Has anyone ever seen iTunes Live as an option on the Internet part of Apple TV ?
    I don't see it on mine and I'm running the beta.

5. macrumors newbie

What about Gen 1 Apple TV?

Will it be available on the old GEN 1 Apple TV? I'm thinking it won't.. :confused:

6. macrumors regular

JonneyGee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Will it be available on iOS devices? Would love to watch from my iPhone.

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors 65816

what would be nice is if Apple streamed their keynotes live as well.

9. macrumors member

Apple have steamed keynotes live in the past. I remember being in London watching Steve Jobs launch the current shape macbook air on my iPhone via 3G :).

There have been others too which I can't remember right now, but what I find interesting is the 'Live' thing for things other than Apple.

This is obviously the start of something much bigger.

10. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Very cool news! I saw Paul live in 2009 and 2011, so this will be a nice treat from the comfort of my own home. :D

I believe they did this once semi-recently... it may have been for the iPad or Apple TV announcement. But I'm not 100% certain.

11. macrumors regular

Definitely practicing live broadcasting for their TV

12. macrumors regular

StoneyG

Just east of the Rockies, and north of the 49th.
    Was this part of the settlement in the Apple Computer/Apple Corps suit?

13. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

All of Paul McCartney's new material, including reissues of older records, is through Hear Records, and for many years he has had his own publishing business (MPL Communications), which essentially serves the same purpose for his solo career as Apple Corps does for The Beatles. This deal has nothing to do with Apple Corps.

14. JAT
    macrumors 603

15. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What's interesting here is not so much this concert, but the addition of iTunes Live to the Apple TV. Looking forward to what else will be shown there and who will be able to stream content there.

16. macrumors regular

StoneyG

Just east of the Rockies, and north of the 49th.
    (See: SARCASM)

17. macrumors G5

Macman45

No. I'm guessing they will put it up as a special title. No software update required. I will be watching and recording this to my HD recorder....As long as I don't forget.

Must grab Siri now, befor I do forget it!

18. macrumors 6502a

andy721

sigh

I like the Beatles when they were The Beatles. This is just my opinion hate if you want but seriously retire already. :eek:

I forgot he lost a lot of money from all the wives. Nevermind keep working I guess.

19. macrumors 603

justperry

20. macrumors member

Any ideas on whether or not this will also be available for re-watching later? 3 in the morning (UK time) is way too early.

Or can iTunes somehow be programmed to record this?

21. macrumors 65816

fel10

22. macrumors regular

Beatles suck.

What does any of this have to do with selling phones & computers? If they want to be a media company, they have to look politically agnostic to remain appealing as a tech company.

All this makes me want to do is make the switch to a more agnostic platform, for example Android.

This is among many things that could make Apple better by simply removing it.

Is Apple now run by a bunch of moralizing silly philanthropists? What the crap? I just want a functional phone and computer with as little bull attached to it (physically or karmically) as possible. Is Siri next going to break out in song and start lecturing me on how to be nicer? I'll throw it in the trash.

23. macrumors 6502

I was just thinking the same.

24. macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

25. macrumors 68030

Perfect for those having trouble getting to sleep.