Apple to strengthen it's position in Europe?!...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bengt77, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

The rumor site macosXrumors.com claims to know Apple is planning to increase it's market share and market position in the Old World, also known as Europe. Pretty cool, if you ask me. The plans don't sound too far fetched and could actually be true. I sure hop they'll prove to be, since the prices over here are truly extraordinarily high when compared to the US prices, especially considering the euro is worth quite a bit more right now than the dollar.

Bring those plans on Apple, I'd say! It would really be great to see and have Apple get the (market) position it has in the US now, over here in Europe.

What do you all think?

:rolleyes:

2. thebt macrumors member

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not in Europe (I'm almost as far away from it as you can get!) but I'd still like to see this happen as it should help pave the way towards getting a stronger position in the rest of the world too.

5. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Indeed...

Very true! I really hate to see Apple's market share dwindle. It should and actually could be in the range of 10% to 15%.

Why isn't it up there yet?

:confused:

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

because
    people think it is not compatible,
    they won t be able to exchange office documents ...
    they don t know apple is still producing computers.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Indeed: finally!

Let's hope their strategy is European aswell.
    They have to be informative. Let Europe know that they:
    a) Are still making computers. Many people around here have the impression that Apple was bought by M$ some years ago....
    b) Are making Mac OS X. Also alot of folks here think all computers only run Windoze. They think nothing else exists.
    c) Make gr8 apps. Stuff like iLife, Keynote FCP. Joe Average thinks you can't import photos on a non-Windoze PeeCee.
    d) Are compatible! Yes, there is Office X! Adobe's collection of goddies, games, and so on.
    e) Are better than the rest. Especially if they can show off Panther on a PPC 970, and brag about 64 bits.

Well, something like that.
    Also advertize on TV @ events where there are many Europeans watching, like Champions League Final, F1 Monaco (show F1 CS 2000), BBC World....

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Hey Maradong, we had the same thoughts. LOL.
    Look at our post-timing.:D

We confirmed each other. :cool:

9. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

so true esp. for the ads... so true...

10. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

exactly :D

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Maybe we should mail this post to our local Apple sales representative....:rolleyes:

12. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

Re: Apple to strengthen it's position in Europe?!...

let's hope they reach above what they have in the us........ and hope the us will climb higher.......

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Come to think of it.... they might as well start advertizing by just being able to catch the WWDC keynote live on internet.
    Let tech sites have links to the webcast, make reports over the event and stuff. More or less "spread the word".
    This is not the way to get to the mass public, but making sure IT techies can't "overlook" Apple's new stuff, this would certainly be a start.

14. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

at last so when i do go back home to the uk i can drive down to london and get my self a nice new mac on the cheap whooo...

1 problem if i happen to have a problem when i do get it back to australia ill be buying my self a nice new 12 inch power book 17 nice and all but dam to big for my needs and wants... can i take it to a apple store if it needs fixing prays it dosnt .....

OH MY GOD IVE JUST HAD AN IDEA................

EXPORTS R US.........HMMMM

15. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I hope they already lower prices when the 970 comes out, and do not wait until 2004.

16. ouketii macrumors regular

i have always thought it strange how the machines have different prices, even when taking into concideration currency diffs. like someone said, prob just the cost of crossing the ocean..

17. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

The machines are built in tawan arnt they so were ever they go they got to cross oceans - that dose acount for some price hikes

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I imported a 14" iBook from the US in February, and it cost me NZ$3000 or so after shipping and tax. The shipping made up US$40 of that price IIRC. To buy the same machine locally was around NZ$4000. That's about a US$500 difference, a lot more than the $40 shipping cost!