Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
This seems to have all changed with the navigation added to Android 2.0 and now Adnroid 1.6. The Apple implementation on Google Maps (especially on the 3GS) had quite a few Android owners asking why Google had left them with an inferior version.

I can't wait to get 2.0 on my Hero!

Apple will have it and, even more important, is Goggle has said they want it. Google is fully interested in the iPhone platform an I think the acquisition of AdMob proves that. Apple has to work the new abilities into their own UI.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I have 2 3G and 2 3GS.
The 3G (unjailbroken)is a great back up in the event I crash a 3Gs that are jailbroken.

The 3G is slow slow slow in everything I try to do with even surfing the web and checking email.

I am glad I upgraded from the 3G to the 3Gs.

I hope that the Google Apple relationship doesn't go south.
Google could limit the amount of map data they license to Apple while using mre advanced data for their own phone platforms. Who knows.

Didn't microsoft buy mappoint years ago? did they ever do anything with that.

As off the wall as that is, I can't help seeing Apple and Microsoft strengthening their relationship in fending off google.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I'm sure a lot of people will agree, iPhone 3G to 3GS is NOT much of a upgrade.
I never said anything about upgrading from a 2G. The 3G was my first iPhone and I dont see the 3GS as a worth while upgrade.

I felt the same way (as a 3G owner) but if you actually look at the feature list it is a larger upgrade than the 2G to 3G. I do believe that next year you will see where Apple is actually headed with PA Semi designed chips and probably significantly better battery life. Chances are it will be the iPhone that is built to multitask.

Things like multitasking will still happen on the 3GS because of the doubling of the RAM.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Take for instance, the phone app. Having favorites, recents, contacts, keypad and voicemail *all* available right there without having to navigate to a different app. Fantastic! BTW...I could be wrong but I don't think any other phone places all of these elements directly within the phone app.

Wrong..^^ Android does. ;)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Ive been having the same problem, everything is so slow now. I actually spent hours looking for a way to go back to OS 2.X, but it is impossible.

Man i wish i could find this thread for you... I was just reading it the other day. It was the one I mentioned about the 2.x.x being faster.
The guy had instructions to get back down to 2.x.x.
It required an earlier version of iTunes is all I remember :confused: sorry..

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I would have a hard time believing that Apple is only in the hiring phase for a developer to further the built in Maps app, which surely will be abandoning Google Maps in the near future...

...if it weren't for the fact that Apple all but abandoned in house iPhone software development the day they introduced the SDK. No reason to develop when you make money off of other's work.

I would agree with you, except for one detail.

they provided maps for free as a base function of the phone. if they just drop google maps for nothing, they will get never PR via the blogs, boards and such. cause folks love to gripe about what Apple is not doing, stops doing, did wrong, etc.

so in the matter of adding new 'free' functions I would agree that it seems unlikely. but replacing a 'free' function provided by a third party they are no longer in bed with, I can see where it could be happening.

This article tells me they are trying to move as far away from Google as possible. This makes me sad.

there may be unrevealed legal issues behind this move. things that might play into why the men on both the Apple and Google boards had to cut one board or the other. unfair competition, favoritism etc

meh... is it Apple or AT&t? I agree though that the iphone 3G has gotten slower.... but how much of that performance difference is due to Apple?

none whatsoever. the S is about the phone hardware and I've used both and it is faster.

the trouble is that, for many areas, the iphone finally become really popular so the user to tower saturation became worse, thus more folks on the bandwidth, less speed on the carrier side of the equation (more dropped calls etc)

I guess we'll just have to see what it will look like. if it isnt as user friendly as google maps,

Apple will have no trouble with the UI. it's the database that is the issue. and Google Maps sucks. I have to use them along with another mapping service because they give horrid directions 80% of the time. 90% of you want to avoid highways. and they make it near to impossible to correct their information.

I'm actually excited to see what Apple has in mind.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Well

googles net worth is 153 billion
Apple is about the same according to financial reports.

apple stock $209
Google $579

I think I'd rather they were allies then competitors. next Apple will have there own search engine like Microsoft Bing that sure upset google! :rolleyes:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
is it really a possibility that apple will completely remove google from their mapping system?

Google is HUGE with maps (I use maps.google.com very often). They offer many amazing features, 1. Pictures...I love seeing pictures, it goes through a website called panoramio.com where users can upload their own photos and place it on the map, why this is important cuz I was thinking Apple and Google would put that in the pipeline (Google already has it in their Google Earth.app)....guess not, 2. Satellite imaging, how Apple can top that, I don't know...wouldn't it take a longgggg time to get satellite imaging?

I guess when push comes to shove, Apple isn't going to do a move to push themselves under a bus, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe it will come out with software 4.0 when the new iPhone is released in June / July timeframe? :confused:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
This article means nothing to me. I bought a Black Friday Nuvi with free traffic for $200 from $699. I don't need my iPhone to do a hundred mediocre tasks.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds great, but I’d be happy if Maps worked at all.

OS 3.0 broke my GPS functionality (accuracy went way off) and it has never been fixed. I got a new phone and even that did not help, so I think it’s some corrupt data that gets backed up and restored. (Maybe I could solve it if I allowed it to be an even WORSE bug and wiped out all my backup data!)

Threads at the Apple forums show I’m far from alone. It’s why I haven’t bought a GPS app: if Location Services is miles off, then it’s no use.

I think Apple probably DID fix the bug that causes this problem to start (since I don’t see many NEW complaints on the Apple boards) but the many people who already had the problem still have no solid fix to this day.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
is it really a possibility that apple will completely remove google from their mapping system?

Unlikely.

Google wants to be on the iPhone because they make their revenue from selling advertisements and user demographic data and the iPhone's user base is a goldmine for both.

And Apple draws benefits from having Google's applications and datastores available on the iPhone to make it more desirable to consumers.

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
Its Apple's reply to the Droid

I figure Apple is trying to do something against Verizon's new Droid commercial shows how the iPhone's Maps Program doesn't do things the Google Map Droid programs does. Apple might add turn-by-turn direction and new features to their map app.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If I hear the phrase "the next level" one more time, I'm going to punch the very next person I see right in the face.

What does that even mean, "the next level"? There are set levels? And what is the next one? Is it better or worse? No idea, just "next"? Is this a video game? WTF

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
I figure Apple is trying to do something against Verizon's new Droid commercial shows how the iPhone's Maps Program doesn't do things the Google Map Droid programs does. Apple might add turn-by-turn direction and new features to their map app.

Seeing as how Google says they are bringing this feature to the iphone, your point is irrelevant.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Man i wish i could find this thread for you... I was just reading it the other day. It was the one I mentioned about the 2.x.x being faster.
The guy had instructions to get back down to 2.x.x.
It required an earlier version of iTunes is all I remember :confused: sorry..

Sounds like the thread TheSpaz made, if that helps. You can search for threads made by him it will make it easier to find it.

EDIT: Here's his profile: https://forums.macrumors.com/members/54683/ I don't have the time to look for the thread but maybe someone else has.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Blow up!

Whenever you see a public ad for "take us to the next level" or "show us your vision" someone very important in the organization quit or they didn't come to terms and conditions on a licensing a product plan was about. My guess is that some third party software house was trying to take Apple on a licensing fee with an 11th hour zinger to double their revenue as a gambit.

Steve himself probably spotted it and it all blew up. Steve is famous / infamous for throwing suppliers and licensees over the board room table at the last minute to get a better deal. Thus, my guess is some took the highway instead of their way. Apple is now broadcasting for anyone for the right deal.

I have a lot of sympathy for that personnel team assigned to filtering responses from this ad.

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
This is good. Apple is finally going out independently with working on their own maps. That should be a big step through their current technology.
Who knows, maybe they'll start supporting their own weather system on the iPhone and iPod touch later in the future :)
:apple:

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Ha!

Would that be 'CloudView' or 'TunnelView'?

I don't think Apple thinks or speaks that literally!

I imagine Apple is after all that juicy info that company has. Now, I don't have an iPhone *yet*, so I didn't know that google maps could be better or worse on different platforms. would it be possible that Apple could simply be looking to augment google maps with this additional technology? I mean if gm's can be altered for different platforms, it could be just another value proposition for iPhone.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
2. Satellite imaging, how Apple can top that, I don't know...wouldn't it take a longgggg time to get satellite imaging?

Google didn't take the satellite images themselves. They license it from a 3rd party company. Looks like from http://www.terrametrics.com/. I'm sure Apple can license from the same or another source.

arn

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
Google didn't take the satellite images themselves. They license it from a 3rd party company. Looks like from http://www.terrametrics.com/. I'm sure Apple can license from the same or another source.

arn

hmm I didn't know what. Well from the looks of it, apple can get their own deal. Nevertheless, It's always exciting to hear someone at apple is trying to be innovative and make something new :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.