Apple to unveil new store design

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 14, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Services
    Link: Apple to unveil new store design
    Description:: The new design features will draw from Apple's new Fifth Avenue store, which is built in a former underground parking garage with a 32-foot glass structure above ground featuring the Apple logo.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I recall when the then "Largest Apple retail store" opened on Regent's Street in London. That place is largely white and clear perspex. Shortly after that opened, the nanos came out, then the 5G iPod, followed by the opening of the Birmingham Bullmarket store. That place had quite a mixture of white and black and looked great, but I still preferred the feel and atmosphere of the Regent's Street store.

Hope that doesn't change too much.

3. macrumors 6502

Yeah I don't see anything 'wrong' or reason to change the stores. They're already very nice and inviting. Maybe the new stores will be more 'metallic' with aluminum tables/desk and maybe a mix of black, white and anodized aluminum?

4. macrumors member

Providence!

I'll be at the opening of the Providence store.
    I will take as many photos as possible - shall I post them?

5. macrumors regular

I'll see you there Spine. Woo hoo! Finally an Apple Store in state.

Should be an interesting day.

6. macrumors member

I hope they have some good give-aways.
    I free macbook would be nice.

7. Guest

shecky

ill be at providence also. tho...not in line for the moment it opens. but definitely later that day.

8. macrumors regular

Be interesting to see how big the store actually is, from the outside it looks rather small, imho.

9. Guest

shecky

i agree, tho to be honest, it could look like a dumpster for all i care as i will be happy to go to an apple store that is an easy 5 minute walk from work as opposed to a congested, pain in the butt 40 minute drive to chestnut hill.

but having said that i am anxious to see the new design and how the store looks in person there.

10. macrumors G4

Chundles

New store design feature list:

- Lots of blue lights
    [​IMG]

- Apple Store employees to wear blue and outnumber customers by 2:1
    [​IMG]

- Computers to be displayed in "cubicles" depicting common computing environments
    [​IMG]

- Lots of divisions to awkwardly divide the store and create blind-spots
    [​IMG]

- New retail philosophy, Apple Stores will no longer carry stock - purchases will be made in store using an online Build-to-order system and delivered to the home.
    [​IMG]

- The stores will replace an air of technological simplicity with an air of futility.
    [​IMG]

:D :p

11. macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Providence store is going in the Providence Place Mall right?? I've got family around there and I'm gonna get them to go to the grand opening to get me a shirt or something :p

And Chundles, is that first picture a first look at a new black iMac??!! And I think I saw a new display in there too!! :eek: :D :p

12. macrumors regular

Yep RTD, Providence Place Mall, right next to Sharper Image and Pottery Barn. i'm assuming it has no street access so I'm assuming the inside of the Mall is where the line will be.

13. macrumors G3

puckhead193

when does it open i might have to take a road trip...

14. macrumors regular

Providence Store Opens on the Saturday the 23rd of this month. I'll probably be taking pictures too.

For those coming in from out of state the parking garage is pay to park.
    0-3 hours: $1
    3-4 hours: $5
    4-5 hours: $6
    5-6 hours: $7
    6-7 hours: $8
    7-8 hours: $13
    8-10 hours: $15
    10-12 hours: $17
    12-20 hours: $20
    No validation necessary.

15. macrumors G3

puckhead193

ooooooooooooooo
    Thanks for the info, how come the new apple store thread didn't update unless it did and i'm slow....

16. macrumors regular

I dunno. I had to read ifoapplestore's, tuaw's and macnn's posting three times to confirm the store was opening on the 23rd. The wording was so vague.

17. macrumors member

Will there really be a line forming?
    Has anyone been to an opening before?

18. macrumors regular

I tend to think a bit pessimistically...

With Colleges in session and with RIC, PC, JW, CCRI, Brown, I'm going to assume there will be a line. Every single picture of an Apple Store Opening I seen there's been a line.

And, having been to PVD Mall a lot, the location of the store on the first floor and considering how there are little shops in the middle of the first floor. I get the feeling the line is going to go everwhere.

Always be prepared for the worst.

Unless this place does have a outside door? I haven't been around the outside of the Mall in a bit...

19. macrumors member

Thanks! There is no outside door - its a crappy mall.
    See you there!

20. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Why does this store have to open the weekend I won't be here? I don't really care about being first in line, but I thought it would be cool to get an apple t-shirt.:mad: Oh well...

21. macrumors member

will be heading to Columbia, MD store location

My wife, daughter, and I will be heading over to the Apple Store opening in Columbia, MD. We want to get some free t-shirts and register for a grand prize drawing they are having there (which is for a new 17" imac, an ipod, a digital camera, a digital camcorder, and printer). Not to mention we want to check out the new store. Maybe get some new software.

I have been waiting for this store to open for sometime and am glad they are finally ready to do some business. I needed something new to browse every now and then when I am at that mall.

To know there is an Apple store not too far away from me now....can't wait to see future new products there.

22. macrumors 68020

wmmk

based on the new iTunes interface (which I'm guessing will end up being 10.5 GUI), they may have a lot of black and silver, a little bit of grayish blue, and less wood stuff.

23. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

24. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

25. macrumors 601

generik

What good is a new store design if all that store has on display are old shiny outdated laptops? :rolleyes: