Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
There hasn't been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X for 10 years, even though it's market share and installed base is larger than it was when there were viruses. The market share theory is bogus.
This is especially true since there are far more Linux viruses/malware and it has even less market share. There is malware now because it's economically viable for the writers to write them for OS X.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it for OS X unless you're an idiot who blindly puts your password in. Start worrying when they spread to iOS. There is so much personal info on there it's a goldmine for virus writers and whomever they sell them to.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Ignore AV and security measures on your Mac at your own peril. As Mac market share increases so will virii being written for it. That's the danger of not being protected.

If a virus ever spreads on the Mac platform it will be headline news around the world as the majority of Macs are unprotected against threats.

Ah, the market share theory. I've heard this many times before, but still disproved more times then not. Prior to Mac OSX, OS9 had 40+ viruses and less then 2% market share. Now approaching 10% market share with 0% viruses in the wild since MacOSX10. So far market share does not hold water.

Virus scanners on Macs are often worse then the cure itself. Causing massive slowdowns and instability.

Even if a virus infects a Mac it would not spread very easily and would more likely fizzle out by itself.

Don't confuse security measures with antivirus measures. If your smart with security, viruses and malware won't be a problem on a Mac.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I'm interested in the implementation of this. Did they just slap something in that goes specifically after MacDefender code and its variants, or are they deploying a more general solution that will be updated for new threats?

Is it going to identify things on launch? On download? What kind of system resources are we talking about here?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I'm interested in the implementation of this. Did they just slap something in that goes specifically after MacDefender code and its variants, or are they deploying a more general solution that will be updated for new threats?

Is it going to identify things on launch? On download? What kind of system resources are we talking about here?

xProtect ; http://www.cultofmac.com/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-apples-new-anti-virus-spotter/15475

THIS is what's being updated to deal with this trojan (not a virus, folks. You can't pick it up by having casual encounters with other Macs).

XProtect is the updatable internal process that allows apple to explicitly counter known threats. I believe there are 4 (maybe five) trojans (again, not virii folks) that it actively detects upon opening an infected .pkg .

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006

After the MACDefender update, it will detect 5 trojans.

OpinionSpy
iServices
HellRTS
RSPlug (DNSChanger)
MACDefender

The only other pieces of still relevant malware that I can think of that are not on the list are Blackhole RAT and Weyland-Yutani Bot, but I haven't heard reports of any infections in the wild despite their existences being in the media.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wow, is this a first?

Nope. Apple always releases "security updates" which block such things.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/security/

nice to see them take a page out of MS book on dealing with this.

Um...no. Microsoft needs to take a page out of Apples book, see the link above.

Nope, MS releases updates that search for and remove common malware (it's called the malicious software removal tool).

Yes, but most people don't know about it and its not automatic. You have to go to MS's website to download it and updates to it are very very slow. (It is VERY useful though for the stuff it does find). I really wish MS would make this part of the OS.

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
Wow! I had no idea it was that serious. I'll definately be looking for this update. I had a feeling OSX would soon come under attack by the way it's growing in size. Hope Apple will heed the warning.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Incredible how mainstream media have gone after Apple based on a leaked non official non confirmed internal memo ...

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is probably just an update to Xprotect. Nothing interesting here.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
AVG Free gives a user a false sense of security. There is a reason why there is a paid version.

Mileage may vary:
Malware problem on Win 7

Agreed. There is an HP in my apartment right now with AVG free on it. Its in my apartment to have malware removed. (I'm not sure what type of malware yet but there is plenty of it, the drive is caddied out and being scanned with Kaspersky and Malware Bytes as we speak).

Not to mention many times people say "I'm not infected" or "Ive never had a problem" when in reality their antivirus simply didn't pick up the problem. People seem to think that all malware makes itself visible.

Wow! I had no idea it was that serious. I'll definately be looking for this update. I had a feeling OSX would soon come under attack by the way it's growing in size. Hope Apple will heed the warning.

This is absolutely not serious. Don't fall for the scare. Its an attachment that people download which may, or may not auto open depending on one preference setting in Safari, in which case you have to type your password in giving it permission to run. Literally if someone gets infected its completely their fault.

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

oliversl said:
Incredible how mainstream media have gone after Apple based on a leaked non official non confirmed internal memo ...

Hey if it's Apple it's news. If they spent as much time covering every piece of malware for Windows we'd be worm-food by the time they're done.

Let em have their once-every-two-years coverage of whatever trojan happens to show up. Just have to have the patience to listen to all the end-time prophets that invade Apple forums for about a month.

haibane-rakka

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Apple's popularity is at an all time high, of course malicious users will increase their attention towards OSX. What's Apple supposed to do? Tell people it isn't a problem like they did with the iPhone 4 antenna?

They're handling it the best way they can by assuring users that they are going to deal with it. The only step beyond that I would say they should do is better educate people on safe security practices, because no matter how hard you try there will always be idiots that click popups.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

lilo777 said:
Oohh boy. Are we going to be like Microsoft/Windows now?

No. Microsoft resolved this problem with Windows 7. Now it's Apple's turn.

At work we are still seeing rootkit viruses on Win7 machines. Fewer than the XP machines, sure, but Windows 7 isn't the panacea you are making it out to be. (Makes me glad to not be in charge of the help desk...)

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Could someone help me:confused:-i getting the exact thing Apple is describing here on chrome and safari-I did what Apple said-but I never downloaded any of the products they mentioned-Whats Up?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Could someone help me:confused:-i getting the exact thing Apple is describing here on chrome and safari-I did what Apple said-but I never downloaded any of the products they mentioned-Whats Up?
Read this: Mac Virus/Malware Info

The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector issue. I encourage you to read it.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
It's only the front page and there's already some serious apple circlejerking. How about the news that Apple told the Apple Geniuses to not even recognize the Mac Defender, and pretend it's nothing?

It's just like with the Lodsys patent issue. For better or for worse, Apple keeps silent until they know exactly what to say. Sony did this too, with the PSN intrusion. Don't talk details until you know exactly what's going on.

You may not like it, but it's how things are done. Potentially putting out wrong information can do more damage than you think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.