Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Free publicity is always nice...

Product placement is not free. Except for that iPad tidbit on 1 show, there is no proof that Apple doesn't pay for it. Heck, all the hidden Apple logos around on TV is proof that sometimes, Apple doesn't pay and doesn't get the placement.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
If you have kids..

If you are in the US and have kids, you may have seen a show called iCarly on nick. Apple products are all over that show but are called iPear, PearPad, PearBook, etc and all have a pear logo on them instead of an Apple logo. This is obviously done tongue in cheek and they are not really trying to hide what they are. It is funny actually.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Product placement is not free. Except for that iPad tidbit on 1 show, there is no proof that Apple doesn't pay for it.

Apple specifically said that they don't pay for product placement. They've said this numerous times. As that article shows, this doesn't mean Apple doesn't actively try to get Macs on shows--they do. Most products aren't paid for, at least when that article was written:

A study released by the firm last year found that 64 percent of products placed in films or TV shows are not paid for, but rather arranged through some kind of barter in which the show provides exposure in exchange for products or services.

Last edited:

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Last edited:

maz-o

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
It always gets me when they in TV or movies block the Apple logo with a piece of tape or whatever. You see a huge 27in iMac with a grey tape in the middle where the apple logo is. Or an aluminium Macbook Pro with a piece of tape in the middle of the lid. ....so they still want to USE the Apple products, but they don't want to show the logo cause Apple didn't pay them? lol

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I think Apple must have pretty much financed 75% of I am Legend by the looks of it :D
Apple1.png

Apple2.png

Apple3.png

Apple4.png

Apple5.png

Apple6.png

There are more, but I couldn't be bothered to screencap them.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Let's not forget the macs in House

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I remember seeing some movies years ago that weren't consistent with the computer content. For instance there was one with an Apple computer but the screen had early windows OS. And I believe I've seen the opposite too back in OS 9 days.

Then of course there were pre-GUI days when they'd show the monochrome with size 48 font. LOL

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
in just one night of TV last night i saw 2 Macbook Airs, a Macbook Pro, 2 iPads, countless iPhone 4s, and that's just what i can remember

KnoxHarrington

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
One of my favorite Apple placements -- though, given the circumstances, I'm not sure it was an *official* placement -- was in the HBO series "Eastbound and Down." Kenny decides to write another volume of his autobiography, which will, of course, be an audiobook. So his buddy/syncophant says "We can do it at my house. I've got a cracked copy of Logic!"

Not sure if they paid for that one, though.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
I laughed my butt off when I saw Jeff Goldblum, in ID4, upload the doomsday virus from a PowerBook. Wonder if Apple will have a portable in the upcoming Independence Day sequel.

Wow they're going to make a sequel? What, are the aliens going to come back from the dead for round 2? :rolleyes:

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
It always gets me when they in TV or movies block the Apple logo with a piece of tape or whatever. You see a huge 27in iMac with a grey tape in the middle where the apple logo is. Or an aluminium Macbook Pro with a piece of tape in the middle of the lid. ....so they still want to USE the Apple products, but they don't want to show the logo cause Apple didn't pay them? lol

I don't think anyone is trying to punish Apple for non-payment.

Far more likely would be potential conflicts arising with other electronics/gadget companies who pay to advertise on the show. Why would HP or Dell want to pay for an ad during the commercial break if the show is going to showcase Apple products and blatantly flash the logo? I imagine this is why commercial ad-supported programming often have the logo blocked. Safer to do that and not worry about which companies are going to end up footing the advertising bill when the show airs.

On the other hand, a show on a premium network like HBO or Showtime isn't running ads, so they show the Apple logo all the time with no hesitation (see Sex And The City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, United States of Tara, Dexter, etc.).

Last edited:

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Seinfeld always had a Mac in his NY apartment.

But then, more recently, he shilled for Microsoft in their TV ads. Funny thing was, he appeared as "himself" in several episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm around the same time, clearly using a MBP.

Doubt Microsoft would have been thrilled — but I guess stars of a certain cachet get away with what they want.

And he's got cachet, baby — he's got cachet up the yinyang!

seinfeld-curb-mac.jpg

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
OS9 used cooperative multi-tasking, where apps were in charge of giving back control to the OS so that other apps could resume execution.

Yes. I'm fully aware of that. I'm a programmer, since before there was a Mac, and have programmed on just about every Mac since the 128K. If you can't make your OS9 Mac chew bubble gum and walk at the same time then the problem lies with you, not OS9.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Apple + Toy Story 3

COOL! But why was the Apple logo covered over with "Post-Its" on the iMac "chin"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.