Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Tiffany's sucks, I bought my wife sterling silver ring and it turned her finger green. It took all sorts of cursing at them to give me my money back after trying to up-sell me on platinum. :mad:

u should buy her a platinum tiffany ring.

Cascadians

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
The service at an Apple store is stupendously great. If a T-shirted geek does not know the answer, he knows who to ask. I went in recently with my brother who has an older Apple laptop, dead battery. The Apple guy said, "We no longer carry this battery but you can get it from X seller on Amazon for the best price." He then ushered us to a Mac, gave us the Amazon page; I ordered the battery and my brother visiting from San Diego got it in a couple days.

It's this level of cheerful quick expert casual service that ensures repeat customers. When my brother has the $$$$ for a new mobile it will be an Air with the satisfaction of knowing any and all questions / requests / services are easily procured with no pain or bother.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
this has been the case for YEARS, apple has averaged over 4000$/sq. ft. retail space which was historically double what Tiffany's used to do. Now, it just gets even better.

I would also say that Tiffany's doesn't attract the type of crowd that Apple does...both in product and wallet.

Except for a few items around Christmas priced between $75 and $150, everything else in Tiffany's is in the high hundreds and easily thousands. I would gather that the average price of a Tiffany's purchase is $2000 or more.

Also, most people need a computer or phone...most do not need a new necklace or bracelet...especially in a down economy.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Costco seems odd to me... just because they have such huge stores.
Not surprising to me. Sam's, also. They don't have that many stores, but are vastly popular. And they also give a lot of hands-on, as people have mentioned about Apple Stores.

Whole Foods, that's a little surprising. I think that ranks up there with Tiffanys for pricing putting it on this list.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder where Apple stores rank as far as restroom cleanliness goes? Anyone have any data on this? Of course it could be tomorrow's MR headline.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Just wait for Apple to start getting boycotted by democrats like many have with Walmart, once they realize how big-business Apple is. Not like it did Walmart much harm though. Just consumers. Can't get anything for good prices where my grandmother lives since the area is made largely of democrats who chase out big business (Shoprite is an exception because they need to eat.)

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Tiffany's sucks, I bought my wife sterling silver ring and it turned her finger green. It took all sorts of cursing at them to give me my money back after trying to up-sell me on platinum. :mad:

Protip: That little gumball machine by the door never dispenses real jewelry. The "one size fits all" claim should have clued you in. :p

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
It would be interesting to see where the Sony Store fit on that list, being another example of an upscale electronics boutique.

Edit: the most telling stat on the table is the year-over-year increase. 49%! :eek:

(Compare that to Best Buy at -4%.)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Nice trolling. My point is that Google does not actually sell anything except our data. And I don't think that fits on a shelf.

They have restrooms?

Yup. Unisex at the store I use. It's behind the Genius Bar ( make of that what you will.)

I think it's open to the public, but it helps to be an old guy with an enlarged prostate to get to use it if it's not public. :eek: :p

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Makes me wonder where the Microsoft retail stores end up in sales per square foot... ;)

Who cares? Microsoft dominates in the only metric that matters: cheesy staff dance moves per square foot.

;)

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I don't know why so many people are complaining. The standard measure of sales for retail is annual sales per square foot for stores open more than one year. (I don't know if this chart excludes new stores or not.) The other measure is same store sales year over year.

It doesn't matter if you sell diamonds or bubble gum. That's how the industry measures and that's how Wall Street evaluates performance because if you have more expensive items, you generally sell fewer of them so it all balances out.

I will admit to being surprised to seeing such high sales per sq ft for the warehouse stores: Costco, BJs and Sam's Club, since they're all such large stores.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy a non-Apple product at an Apple store because Apple sells them all at list price and they're available for less elsewhere.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Just when it seems like we've heard it all, there's a new "study".

People actually get paid to calculate this minutiae. Amazing.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Guess I'm used to the smaller, mall Apple Stores. Such places usually don't have their own.

They probably do have a bathroom, most mall stores do, at least out here, they're just not public restrooms.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy a non-Apple product at an Apple store because Apple sells them all at list price and they're available for less elsewhere.

Because they're either ignorant, don't care because the money isn't an issue, want to burn the money after purchasing something for a grand (again, ignorant), or just want it right there and then (somewhat rational).

I woke up at 9 am, drove 1.5 hours to get it, sat in a coffee shop and restored it with my TC I brought with me, and then went home.

I'm still looking online for the right sleeve to buy.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
I wonder where the fake Apple chinese stores would fall on the list. Supposedly, Apple's china stores are at the top of the list of all Apple stores right now.

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
Probably because they don't put an Apple store on every street corner like CVS. But also because they are genius.

----------

LOL....Welcome to the new Microsoft Kiosk....a wagon in the food court next to the cheap sunglasses and mobile phone cases.

So does Amazon.com have infinite sales per square foot? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.