Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
I think overall that Steve would be proud of where it Apple and its lineup is today. Yes, there's plenty to refute that, but in general his company has a solid ecosystem which sets it apart. Over its 40 year history, it has been able to transition from a Mac-centric focus to an iPhone-centric one. iOS is the future, and I'm excited to see what's next!

Reactions: Rogifan

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Once a silicon valley company start building a new campus, it is the time to go downhill.

The Infinite Loop complex was their new campus... finished in the mid-90's, about the time Apple started to go downhill. It's been downhill ever since... oh wait...
[doublepost=1459547844][/doublepost]
Where's the 40th Anniversary Mac ...

The new iPad Pro. Didn't you get the word that tablets are replacing PCs? :p

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
How did you smuggle an Apple II into Cuba? :D
Mariel Boatlift. All those boats that headed to Cuba had to dump their ballast to on board all those Cuban refugees headed to Miami! :D

(it doesn't need to make sense, it's just funny)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yep, there is no 'reason' to replace him. He's not a bad CEO. He's a caretaker CEO. There probably 1000 other CEOs who could keep the train on the tracks, but very few that are going to effectively continue to innovate and grow into new areas. In the five years that Tim has been at the helm, what is his mark/legacy? It just feels like Apple is on cruise control.
So did Steve Jobs read him wrong or not think he would be a "caretaker" CEO? Or did he recommend Cook for the job because he ego couldn't handle Apple being successful (I don't mean financially) as it was under him?

Not sure what your problem is. I'm not calling for Cook's head on a pike, but I'm entitled to think he's wrong for the job. We're all entitled to opinions. Who are you to call out the opinions of others? I didn't ask for your feedback and I'm not asking your permission. End of conversation.

I never questioned your right to have whatever opinion have. So since you think Cook is wrong for the job who should Jobs have recommended replace him?

I'd agree with all of this, and go one step further to say that it's bad for Apple in the long run that he's such a good numbers guy. He's making great decisions like buying Beats that will make them a ton of money. and he cuts corners in annoying ways that won't stop the average person from buying Apple, like 16GB iPhones and soldered RAM and 5400 RPM hard drives in $1500 computers. So Apple's new products are meh while the old ones are being made actively worse. And all the while he's turning out massive profits, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

The guy that was hired by Steve Jobs who also recommended Cook as his replacement. So I guess this means Steve was a bad judge of talent or didn't do a good enough job mentoring his successor? Who do you think Steve should have recommended replace him as CEO?

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I never questioned your right to have whatever opinion have. So since you think Cook is wrong for the job who should Jobs have recommended replace him?

I think you're overthinking this. I don't have a particular individual in mind, but it wasn't my job to find a replacement either. Having said that, it appears to me that Steve Jobs was thinking of holding on to what he's built at the expense of another period of (risky?) visionary growth.

We can speculate as to whether there was some ego involved, perhaps he didn't want to be outshone by a successor. Perhaps (and more likely) he had a low estimation of any potential visionary leader's ability or capacity (in the mold of himself) to capture lightning in a bottle and didn't want that someone turning what he had built upside down chasing a new vision. But it would be just that, speculation. Look, Cook appears to be an honorable guy, and as I noticed in a prior comment, I think he's ethically principled.

I also feel the encroaching mediocrity within Apple. Products aren't nearly as focused, Software releases aren't quite so polished. iTunes is overdue for major overhaul. New Products are being (i feel) handicapped to generate more money at the expense of customer experience. The purchase of Beats Music was a very questionable move in my opinion. Perhaps it was inevitable.

Just my 2¢.

Last edited:

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Congratulations Apple.

While a whole lot of Apple stuff does not "just work" these days and more and more Apple products are way overdue for an update there is still a whole lot to celebrate. You are by far my favorite tech company - even something as seemingly insignificant as the sublime touchpad on my MacBook Pro is a cause for celebration in itself.

Keep up the good work.
And thanks.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
I do find Apple flying the pirate flag a little ironic. If I remember my Apple history correctly. The pirate flag flown by the Mac team. They viewed themselves as the pirates, the rebels, against the Apple II team where Apple's profits coming from at the time.

I was also reminded of the 'Every pirate wants to be an admiral' quote, explained here by Cory Doctorow . Apple still want people to think of them as pirates, where was they are now more of a powerful admiral, wanting to control user, developers etc.

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Apple formed itself 40 years ago around a single product - the Apple computer. I'm rather surprised they did not take this opportunity to release at least *something* new in the Mac line today to commemorate that rather important moment for themselves as a company.

But...nothing. Not so much as the complete collected works of Sugar Ray dropped into our iTunes list.

"I find it vexing...I'm terribly vexed."

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Amazing journey. I wonder where they are headed. What's the succession plan after Cook and Ive?

And for goodness sakes, update the dang Mac Pro and rMBP!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Why is this not in the timeline? The precursor to the new Mac Pro, and proof that Apple doesn't learn from its mistakes.
cubephoto07182000.jpg

Not that the Cube wan't a great idea, but a small form factor computer simply doesn't work as well as a fully-expandable tower workstation for many prosumers and professionals. I have my 2006 Mac Pro loaded with a 512 GB SSD, 4 hard drives, and 2 optical drives all conveniently inside the tower.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Obscene. Some people seem to be utterly ignorante about what a pirate is. Hint: murders, kidnappings, violations, destruction and robbery. Apple, this time you are pathetic.
Sexy liberators from the English crown!
England is broken, sooner or later a good man must resist it.

#BrokenEnglandTheory​

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I was celebrating the pirate flag, but not because of Apple :D Everytime i see that ad, i have to go frame-by-frame,,, i can't can't see that fast....

Reminds me I should be watching the Steve jobs on Netflix again

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
And sadly, 40 years later...it feels like they're repeating themselves and have stalled. Let's go through the parts bin, reuse most of it, make it smaller, and call it groundbreaking. While we're at it, let's grandstand about everything and not return to our core beliefs of thinking different for the crazy ones. I guess that's what happens when their visionary is replaced by bean-counters.

What about releasing the iPod mini in a set of colours (inspired by the G3 iMac, mind you), then the black/white & chrome nano (a small version of the 1G iPod), then multi-coloured nanos, then the black/white & chrome Touch, then the multi-coloured Touch? All of these during Steve Jobs' tenure…

And the 4GS, released just a day before his passing, which was considered an underwhelming release back in the day? I, for one, find this “tick-tock” release scheme to be a very smart use of resources, at least when compared with the ADD-ridden strategies of companies like Samsung (I mean, are curved edges a sufficiently differentiating factor to justify a separate product line??)… Also, if you think of it, Apple hasn't strayed from their two-axis matrix of “prosumer-pro” and “desktop-laptop”, they only added a few more products to the latter spectrum (the Macbook Air being a temporary anomaly, as is the non-Retina 13'' Pro, and Apple TV being a stranger hybrid beast), or from their “good/better/best” SKU matrix. For all intents and purposes, choosing an Apple product these days is almost as easy as it has ever been since Steve killed all those confusing product lines…

I can't help noticing that most of the software products that are (or were) crapping out are those developed during Steve's tenure: iPhoto was fittingly replaced by the much better Photos, and I surely hope that iTunes goes the same way. And though I will admit that my Apple Watch has some software glitches (namely sync issues with photo albums and contacts, which I managed to solve anyway), it is indeed very stable and has awesome battery life… And though my old Retina iPad 3 is slow as hell, it still works and has awesome battery life as well… And though it doesn't get as much battery life as those two *and doesn't sync properly with my probably corrupt iTunes library*, I still love my iPhone 5S; it is the best phone and Apple device (or any device from any company, really) I've ever owned in my entire life, bar none.

I got all of these after Steve's passing, and some of them (namely, the Watch, iOS 7-9 and OS X 10.10-11) wouldn't have been introduced at all or wouldn't look the same (especially the OSes) if Steve was still around. He was known to be extremely conservative (there's even this anecdote that all the Apple execs had to band together to convince him that iTunes on Windows was not only a good idea, but an essential piece of the puzzle), had this baffling love for all things skeumorphic (I know, I know, because of usability issues, to ease the transition to digital interfaces… but why doubling down on it on iOS *SIX*, then?!) and a waaaaay overrated “love” for calligraphy and typography (an appreciation for it? Sure, but he didn't really *get it* in the sense that he would delegate on someone as knowledgable as Ive is on industrial design; commissioning the San Francisco font design, even internally – I would probably have preferred to see them asking someone like Matthew Carter, the Norman Foster of type designers, for advice, but maybe that's just me –, is a textbook case of respect for typography that would have never happened under Steve Jobs, and actually shows some humility probably from Ive himself). So, no, as much as it may bother you, Steve wasn't this perfect, infallible being…

Also, what we're seeing today is Apple competing on a market that is fairly new to them: online services (and no, the online Apple Store and iTunes [Music] Store don't count). MobileMe sucked, as did Maps, and their current implementations are decent (iCloud) and half-decent (Maps). As for the MAS and the Apple Store, well… they could use some polishing and improvement (especially the former) when it comes to curation and developer relations, but they are a great and extremely successful starting point. People keep attacking Apple on the quality (or lack thereof) of their online services, but I actually think they are already very good for such a hardware-focused company, really.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
when u start something its easy to 'catch the attention' by big products, mind-blowing stuff like the original iPhone but no company can keep this up for 40 + years without dying down a trickle stuff out (which is still great, but no where near as great as un-heard of products) and not really anything to get as much excitement about either. I don't think u can say I'm so excited about a third generation iPad and it would have exceeded your expectations for when u saw the first iphone.

Still... Apple lasted longer than Commodore did,,, so i'm thankful for just that :D

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
I still love my iPhone 5S; it is the best phone and Apple device (or any device from any company, really) I've ever owned in my entire life, bar none.
Oh deary deary me. You do realise things have moved on old bean.. non HD display, a gig of ram etc, don't really cut the mustard these days..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.