Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I am going to buy an Apple TV tomorrow because I can't wait however long it'll be for my local store to get version 2 in stock.

Is there any difference between the two once Apple TV 1 gets the latest update?

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Thought so - better to ask stupid questions than end up wishing you had eh :p

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Thought so - better to ask stupid questions than end up wishing you had eh :p

Exactly. It's a good question. Just make sure you're only paying the new price! :) I'm sure all Apple do that, but other stores you never know! :)

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
*Unless Apple sneakily up the processor at some point to make downloading those movies quicker*

Chances are if they're going to do this, it's been done already though.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
*Unless Apple sneakily up the processor at some point to make downloading those movies quicker*

Chances are if they're going to do this, it's been done already though.

A 1Ghz processor is enough to saturate a 100Mbit line... I don't see why they would upgrade the CPU to get faster downloads, as you would need to upgrade the weak link (your ISP connection).

crjeong

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Sydney, Australia
A 1Ghz processor is enough to saturate a 100Mbit line... I don't see why they would upgrade the CPU to get faster downloads, as you would need to upgrade the weak link (your ISP connection).

Isn't the processor under-clocked anyway? So Apple could speed bump the processor in the software upgrade if they wanted to?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Isn't the processor under-clocked anyway? So Apple could speed bump the processor in the software upgrade if they wanted to?

They /could/, but then they would likely have heat problems in the unit, as it is passively cooled, and is really warm on its own currently. Apple likes underclocked parts for their heat/power properties. For example, a 1.4Ghz part underclocked to 1Ghz uses less power and produces less heat than a 1Ghz part. Especially if the 1.4Ghz part is made on newer production lines.

My main point is that the CPU is not a download bottleneck, it is your ISP.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
the processor may be bumped for new HD video features. someone buy one and figure it out. til then, i'm going to try to buy any apple tv in the meantime.

grovertdog

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
They /could/, but then they would likely have heat problems in the unit, as it is passively cooled, and is really warm on its own currently.

agreed, it IS warm, but I believe there is a small fan involved, isn't there?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
agreed, it IS warm, but I believe there is a small fan involved, isn't there?

The whole thing is passively cooled (heatsinks), there aren't any vents that an handle the airflow of a fan.

This isn't anything new with Apple's design. They underclock GPU components in their laptops to fit the GPU into their thermal profile without reverting to older GPU chipsets.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
I sit my hot drinks on-top mine, it does the trick nicely.

I always unplug it when I leave on vacation or something, afraid all that over-heating it causes may cost too much electricity!

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Will the packaging different? I noticed they had a little final cut pro theme going on in the keynote slides.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
no!! only with the 1 you'll need to wait some minutes to update :p

More specifically the recovery partition will remain at version 1.1 so anytime you do a factory restore it will downgrade to 1.1 and then upgrade to the new version. But this is a very minor inconvenience to most people (unless you're stupid like me and hack it and have to do factory restore often to erase the mistakes you've made). :)

jlforester

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Morgantown, WV
The whole thing is passively cooled (heatsinks), there aren't any vents that an handle the airflow of a fan.

This isn't anything new with Apple's design. They underclock GPU components in their laptops to fit the GPU into their thermal profile without reverting to older GPU chipsets.

From this take-apart at engadget, it appears that there is, in fact, a fan in the case.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/apple-tv-dissected/192174/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.